Analysis Does Reid remind anyone else of Judd?

Does Venables remind of you of Judd at points?

• Yes

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • No

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • Sort of.

Votes: 12 22.6%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 15 28.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

CM9000

BigFooty Optimist
Aug 19, 2016
Perth, WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
I've been watching quite a lot of Chris Judd highlights recently (probably too much), and I just keep thinking how there are very few players that are similar to him. That 04-07 period was fantastic, and I haven't seen anyone emulate that since, which is fair enough, really. Peak Judd was up there with the best of the best, and that sort of form only happens once in a lifetime. But I still crave it, and so, that brings me to Reid.

I watched Reido pretty closely this season, and I just kept seeing flashes of Judd whenever he picked up the ball - small, but very much there. The way he twisted and turned, gave the ball off, kicked off both feet seamlessly. I didn't want to get my hopes up too high at first, but after watching Judd highlights obsessively, I just can't shake the feeling.

Could Reid be a similar player to Judd, once he puts it all together? I highly doubt what we've seen this year of Reid is anything close to his best; injury has been a massive problem for him for the past 4 years, and he's probably quite a ways back from where his peers are.

How good could he be?

If he puts it all together, he'll be nothing like Judd.

He'll be like H.Reid and players will be compared to him.

If you watch some of the pods this week, commentators/ex-players try to compare him to past players but can't because they all realise he can do things none of those blokes could.

Judd - Has the same pace/burst but has the fend and can take a hang. Judd struggled with overhead marking due to his shoulders.

Dusty - Has the fend but not the pace of Reid, nor was he ever an aerialist.

The rest - Similar reasons.

Reid just has no obvious flaws to his game at the moment and any previous question marks he had, he's easily addressed so far.

Case in point:
1. Fend off won't work against men/bullies players his age due to size - This one's clearly been put to bed
2. Doesn't get enough ball - One of our better accumulators and doesn't need high possessions because all his disposals have a massive impact
3. Tank - Improving every week and just rests up forward and kicks goals anyway.
4. Size against AFL players - outbodies bigger players with ease already.

Be interesting to see how he deals with the attention Adelaide said they'd give him this week but he's someone who loves it anyway, so I'm sure he'll be fine.

Nice trick poll.
Voted, then quickly changed my answer as soon as I realised.
Episode 16 Surprise GIF by The Simpsons

As above, Reid has a more complete game. He's now in my mind, the best first year player I have ever seen.
I never thought anyone would pass Judd in my lifetime in this area but I think Reid has now. (That's if he keeps going of course)

Absolute freak talent of the highest order.

Cannot believe a 1st year play gave the don't argue to both Oliver and Petracca (who are bests in their own right), then burst away like Judd and kicked the ball like prime GAJ. Hell, when forward, he almost plays a bit like Snr too.

Absolute freak talent

People forget how good Judd was Brownlow in his third season norm smith medalist in 2005 his stretch from 2006-2007 mid season is the most complete I’ve ever seen from a player.

Harley has more strings to his bow but he’s got a way before we declare him the next Judd

People forget how good Judd was Brownlow in his third season norm smith medalist in 2005 his stretch from 2006-2007 mid season is the most complete I’ve ever seen from a player.

Harley has more strings to his bow but he’s got a way before we declare him the next Judd
Can't speak for everyone else but my comment referred to passing him as the best first year player I had ever seen.
If he keeps this trajectory a brownlow in the 3rd, or possibly even 2nd, might be on the cards. IF.

No denying the kid is a freak though.

Sorry if this sounds bizarre but I felt a little flat after he won that brownlow. I thought his 2nd year was much better. Kind of like making the AA team, yiu need to have a belter year to then be on the radar and given consideration in the following year.

Another thing on Judd, his disposal was average. He obviously made up for it in other areas.

Funny how when our absolute champs retire

Never going to see another Jakovich > McGovern
Peter Matera > Judd
Cousins & Kerr > Shuey and Yeo
Nic Nat

Another thing on Judd, his disposal was average.
A lot of the recent elite mids had/have average disposal.
All of Fyfe, Martin, Dangerfield and Cripps can have pretty atrocious foot skills at various times.
Occasionally they may lace out a teammate but that is not the norm (even when they are at the top of their game).
Pendlebury and Bontempelli are the exception.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A lot of the recent elite mids had/have average disposal.
All of Fyfe, Martin, Dangerfield and Cripps can have pretty atrocious foot skills at various times.
Occasionally they may lace out a teammate but that is not the norm (even when they are at the top of their game).
Pendlebury and Bontempelli are the exception.
Fair call

Harley is untackleable, can shimmy and sidestep AND fend off. Plus he has afterburners or that second gear. Also his kicking and looping handballs are top tier too. He will rival Judd as our best player ever.

Judd’s acceleration was like a Cheetah or Gazelle, crazy for a white guy and it felt like a world class speed. He was a literal blur when watching from the grandstand at times

The all-time West Coast midfield would laud over the rest with Judd (speed) Reid (power) Cousins (endurance) Matera (speed) Kemp (skill) Kerr (toughness)

True, but Reid is better early, and that’s saying something.

Judd is my favourite player ever and I think on his day is possibly the best of the AFL era (others would go GAJ). I think Reid might end up better though and it’s crazy but I’ve followed footy and the Eagles in particular for a very long time and still never seen anything quite like this first patch of games from Reid. Absolute competitive beast who clearly is going to win games off his own boot

As above, Reid has a more complete game. He's now in my mind, the best first year player I have ever seen.
I never thought anyone would pass Judd in my lifetime in this area but I think Reid has now. (That's if he keeps going of course)

Absolute freak talent of the highest order.

Cannot believe a 1st year play gave the don't argue to both Oliver and Petracca (who are bests in their own right), then burst away like Judd and kicked the ball like prime GAJ. Hell, when forward, he almost plays a bit like Snr too.

Absolute freak talent
Reckon you've gotten the closest.
G Ablett Snr best comparison.
Early days

Nah. Judd wasn't as dynamic a stoppage player at an early age, nor does Reid have his pure line breaking ability.

Reid reminds me of Kerr in close, Cousins in traffic and Judd post stoppage.

Physically Hewett is more similar to Reid than any of those three greats but he's not as creative or dynamic and runs straighter lines.

Last edited:
Sorry if this sounds bizarre but I felt a little flat after he won that brownlow. I thought his 2nd year was much better. Kind of like making the AA team, yiu need to have a belter year to then be on the radar and given consideration in the following year.

Another thing on Judd, his disposal was average. He obviously made up for it in other areas.

Funny how when our absolute champs retire

Never going to see another Jakovich > McGovern
Peter Matera > Judd
Cousins & Kerr > Shuey and Yeo
Nic Nat
Cousins and Kerr are a tier above Shuey and Yeo imo.

TBH he doesn't really remind me of Judd at all.

He's not quite as ridiculous as Ablett Snr on the outside / as a flanker however can definitely see some comparisons there.
He has a lot of similarities in his game to Voss pre leg break
He also has a lot of similarities in his game to Hodge

He is a power athlete who for a first year player (at 18 anyway) has the best read on the play and to find the position to impact with his elite strength, power combo and very good footskills (his footskills are better than I thought). He is very, very good in a marking contest however I wouldn't quite put him at Hodge levels there. He has a high stop speed, a very good burst but not a blistering first few steps that a young Matera and Judd had. He however is spectacular at finding those little gaps and once getting towards that top speed is basically untouchable.

His natural talent across almost all areas is elite. He loves the tough stuff, in fact he thrives on it and I would put him on an equal pedestal to Judd in regards to first year players in regards to talent. It is unfortunate due to the knees however that greatly affect his career overall however at 18yo Nicnat is the most talented player i've ever seen.

He is going to need to work on his fitness as although it is again much better than I thought it would be after watching him closely the last few years I think he'll struggle with a tag and potentially be copping one as soon as next year.

I still have huge wraps on a couple of our kids but we need more talent around the ground. Hewett is the next most talented however he struggles with recovery from injury and is slightly immature. If Ginbey can drag Reid and Hewett to his level in regards to training standards then TBH it doesn't matter what player Ginbey becomes as we'll have 2 of the 10 best mids in the league in Reid and Hewett.

To sum up Reid is an older style footy player who is just ****ing exceptional. We as a club have been so very, very lucky that every time we have had a bad downturn we have found a genuine Marquee player in the draft each time.

In regards to the future and mids and flankers we need more runners who are good overhead and have good skill moving forwards but we also need a genuine burrowing mid at the foot of the ruck in the vein of Libba or Kerr. You add the inside power / outside burst game of Reid and Hewett with a player like that and the club will have a midfield that rivals some of the all time best midfields assembled.

Don't see Judd in Reid at all.

Judd was quicker, better burst player, had a very upright sort of running action.

Hard to make a comparison for Reid, talking about skillsets here obviously and nothing more.

Fyfe would be better in the air, but not as quick and an average kick.

I would say athletically he's more like Jake Stringer from his breakout years at the Bulldogs, but not a shit bloke and hopefully with much more consistency over the years.

Back