Review Dogs 96 def Power 77 - Rd 9, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

I think last night highlights why Schache can't function in our team. Naughton and Bruce manufactured shots on goal from half chances. Nothing was delivered lace out on the lead and they made it work.
Yep, both feature in the top bracket for goals, marks and contested marks amongst key forwards. Even when we can’t move it cleanly they generate opportunities. Schache needs it lace out or in lots of space.

It’s worth watching for how many scoring opportunities start with one of those two halving a contest. Even Weightman’s over the head snap started with Naughton spoiling an otherwise easy Port mark in the square.

Naughty kicking his goals again is so good to see, I want him to spend all week working on his *ing snaps and bananas this week though, it’s the easiest kick in footy and he just cannot do it! Would be able to easily add 8 - 10 goals to his current tally right now if he could kick them to a decent standard

Naughty kicking his goals again is so good to see, I want him to spend all week working on his f*n snaps and bananas this week though, it’s the easiest kick in footy and he just cannot do it! Would be able to easily add 8 - 10 goals to his current tally right now if he could kick them to a decent standard
He probably just didn’t bother practising shots from all angles for hours on end when he was playing his junior footy as a defender. He always looks uncomfortable with them and rushes.

Hopefully he gets more comfortable with them as he spends more time forward. Funnily enough, Bruce also got his start as a defender and sprays the around the corner snaps badly too.

Contrast that with Weightman for example who has clearly taken a million of those shots at training since he was about ten and just goes straight into a zone and slots them.

You want a laugh this morning, go have a little look. One port poster crying over Cleary not getting a free for an even head clash where he hurt himself.
Boris fighting the good fight on the Port board. Got a day off as a result. Your sacrifice has not gone unnoticed.

Bevo’s presser made it seem like he was dropped. He only made a fleeting comment but mentioned ‘competition for spots’.

I don’t think it’s necessarily that he’s being dropped on poor form, but we almost have one too many defenders with none of them producing droppable performances. We’ve tried to release Caleb up the ground to free up a defender spot but he’s been moved back recently where he belongs.

We have 8 strong defenders which seems to be one too many for team balance. Keath, Cordy/Gardner, Wood, Crozier, Williams, Dale, Daniel & Duryea. Williams & Crozier being injured had ‘solved’ that problem and now Wood is out for a while too.
As Crozier only had 59 minutes on the ground his Hun rating was equivalent to the top few in the side if he had played 80 - 90 minutes

I find it cringe. At first I thought it was a cool idea but it’s done. I can have a real party pooper mentality but I’m embarrassed for everyone who’s doing the scarf thing.

I think it’s the lack of originality that makes it unbecoming.

For a club that prides itself on its own independence and history, its always struck me as odd that this obvious marketing driven ploy was seemingly lifted in its entirety from another sport as a way of contriving a sense of unity...or whatever its supposed to represent.

If it had the slightest whiff of being organic and fan driven, I could understand it, but it clearly wasn't and thus, I don't.

As an aside, it was pretty funny when after the game with Roving Doc. Anthony Scott said that he enjoyed it and that it probably gets the opposition teams going more than Poot. Its a very astute point he makes given they hear it all the time and the mystical powers of running onto the ground to a middling 80's pop song have probably worn off on them by now.

That was a puzzling selection for mine...if he is sore rest him. Why make him sub? He played well replacing Easton early on though.

We are far from our own though when it comes to puzzling subs - just look at the Adelaide Crows who made a clearly injured Tom Lynch their sub against Hawthorn that cost them the game.

That was a great win last night...beating the Power in Adelaide is up there with the most difficult assignments in the AFL (with beating Geelong or West Coast away). I was skeptical about our chances.

Just have to remember these wise words from the Dropkick Murphys' Tessie.

"Don't blame us if we ever doubt you, You know we couldn't live without you, Doggies, you are the only, only, o..only".

Someone who is fine but coukd do with a rest is the perfect Sub IMO as most likely scenario is a rest. Shite position for someone who needs to press for selection and get some game time

I didn't think we played badly in that second quarter, every time they had the ball we were on them quickly. Just good ball movement and a bit of luck (not an insult, every team needs luck) got them going. They really are quality opposition.

I've been a huge Bailey Smith critic but that's exactly what I want to see from him. Used his speed and power defensively and had the second most pressure acts for the team. Most of the team were really on point with their defensive efforts. JJ, Roarke, Sweet and Weightman good amount of tackles and pressure acts as well. A real team buy in. This game clearly meant a lot to them.

Big win in the context of this team.
I wasn't a fan of giving up our quarter time lead but you could see the team had genuinely learned something from the Richmond game.

Excellent to see us slow it down at the end lead by JJ, Duryea and several other senior players.

JJ and Cordy were great when the heat was on. Loved Williams' return. Caleb was immense, almost a perfect game from him. Also welcome back Bailey Smith. Cody Weightman looks to be exactly what we need forward. Still don't see it with Hannan, think Maclean would be the ideal replacement.

Also can we end the discussion. Naughton is a forward and a bloody good one at that.

And how can I forget Libba. We'd be screwed without him. Just the epitome of on field leadership.

Are you starting to trust us yet?

Two points:

Baz as a genuine on-baller again as opposed to a wing/half forward meant that he played his best game since his R1 performance. Moving the magnets around a bit meant that Treloar was quiet after the first quarter because he had to swap with Baz, but the net result was still good for us. A good comeback game from Baz after a very poor last two weeks by his standards.

We were incredibly hard done by with our tackling. We only got two holding the ball frees despite our quality of pressure. The Gray in the back free that he got when he was driven in the side in the last? Never would have been an issue if they'd simply paid the Rozee holding the ball against five seconds earlier. In the end we probably copped a a couple of lucky goals (Bont/Naughton) that one or two decisions had big swings. But the fact that in the more minor 50/50 around the ground stuff where the umps seemed to ping us for every high and in the back tackle but zero holding the balls was so, so frustrating.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't think we played badly in that second quarter, every time they had the ball we were on them quickly. Just good ball movement and a bit of luck (not an insult, every team needs luck) got them going. They really are quality opposition.

I've been a huge Bailey Smith critic but that's exactly what I want to see from him. Used his speed and power defensively and had the second most pressure acts for the team. Most of the team were really on point with their defensive efforts. JJ, Roarke, Sweet and Weightman good amount of tackles and pressure acts as well. A real team buy in. This game clearly meant a lot to them.

We lost the game to Richmond because we didn't match them when they lifted the intensity level to 11. Last night, Port did that in the 2nd half but we matched them and then cracked them. Maybe we took some learnings from the Richmond game.

Look at Smith's interactions with Wood, MaCrae and Treloar post game, definitely a tick of approval, a happy boy couldn't hide his excitement back playing in the gut tonight. Our midfield finally found the right mix without Dunkley and got the mojo back tonight. Look out!

yeah i was looking at reactions post game, and when i seen Smiths i thought, yep his invested d big time. some supporters have been quick to have a dig at his performances this year, im thinkung his team mates know what his worth and going to be like.

Loved Weightman’s intensity and appetite for the contest, may he have a long career feeding off the crumbs of Naughton, English and Bruce.

Dalhaus 2.0. But better in the air.

There was so much to like about that win. Most of it already covered.

Note: AFL. We’re coming for you!

Ultimate bogan song, sung by the ultimate bogan fans- it’s perfect for them.

I heard a discussion outlining the reasons for their use of the song recently (on the ABC, I think). It went thus:

The "Never Tear Us Apart" thing is a reaction to the AFL's decision to refuse Port the right to wear the prison bar guernsey.

Port - and their fans, of course - argue that the AFL Port is an extension of the Port Adelaide Magpies, and should be able to wear the prison bars except where it clashes with Collingwood.

The AFL disagrees. It sees them as separate - effectively unrelated - entities.

The song is Port's reaction to being forced into this separation.

I can empathise with them to some degree.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back