Autopsy Dogs smash Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Solid effort against an inept opponent. Senior players stood up and young guns Naughton and Smith were excellent. Some coaching moves worked and some were less effective.

Next week will not be so easy and could well highlight our structural deficiencies. Melbourne is playing some good footy at the moment.

Yep it's amazing how well we play when we can rely on our midfield as a whole and not just on one as we have with Macrae over the past five or so weeks.

Macrae was finally allowed to relax a little today and not have the weight of the midfield on his shoulders.
I think it was noticeable how much better we were with Smith (the good one) up and about and helping to spread the load. 2nd year player copping knocks every 4-5 days from mature bodies, he just didn't look like he recovered over the last few games. 8 day break and back on track.

Jack is unbelievably tough how he stands up to the week in week out punishment on short turnarounds...seemingly uncomplainingly.

The Crows coaching team's directive must have been, "Go out there and have some fun guys, run around, try your best, I'm out of ideas. Let's play some big blokes at the back, a few tall ones up forward and the little guys run around the middle."

The freedom they afforded Bont & Baz was absurd.

Zero pressure. That was Melbourne under Neeld bad. That said, we were pretty awesome. Talia is still a very good defender & Naughton had him on toast. Considering he was our only tall forward he scared the s**t out of them.

I’m happy with the result but the crows are deplorable and backing up from Tuesday v our Saturday. They also had a same day 6am flight. So some perspective has to be applied.

But Naughton, Hunter amd Cavarra the story for me. All positions we’ve struggled with.

Play Bruce as the second forward tall/resting ruck and the structure is just about right. Can’t go back to this rucking Dunkley crap.

I’m happy with the result but the crows are deplorable and backing up from Tuesday v our Saturday. They also had a same day 6am flight. So some perspective has to be applied.

But Naughton, Hunter amd Cavarra the story for me. All positions we’ve struggled with.

Play Bruce as the second forward tall/resting ruck and the structure is just about right. Can’t go back to this rucking Dunkley crap.

Lloyd out and Bruce in for me.

Couple cheeky comments from people rubbing it in to those critical of Beveridge before the game. Today’s win is a relief for many but the single biggest reason it happened is our team is far more talented than Adelaide’s. Now onto the many positives:

Hunter’s jumper grab the moment of the day. Reckon he’s super important For protecting rebounding and controlling repeat entries. With Naughton up forward that should give us a decent amount of good looks at goal each week. Welcome back kid.

Bailey Williams was brilliant. Super clean defensively and takes so much ground with his jukes and long kicks.

Cavarra has some nice zip on ground level. He stuck his tackles and plays like a forward. Let’s hope he and the dutchman share the forward line for a while yet with their aggression.

Naughton makes the game easy doesn’t he? Gives key defenders fits. Very slippery and viscous on the deck too. We’ve missed him dearly.

Bont and Macrae did own the stoppages in this one like they should. Nice to see them feast.

Mclean could be a stud. He’s so talented. Genuine AFL talent. We’ve gotta get things right there like we did with Dunks last year before he went off. His sidestep before hooking the ball back into Naughton was the sign of a bloke who knows how to make things happen on a footy field.

Dale continues to be an almost guy this year. Imo, he’s on the verge of a big game. Had the skates on a few times today just needs to sharpen back up with his touch and he’ll do damage. Especially roving off a red hot Naughton

Gardner gets a very underwhelming pass mark. Happy for him not to have a howler. Actually hit a beautiful kick at one point.

Baz is still oozing more explosive Treloar vibes. He kicks the ball sweet but his decision making has been meh

West had a howler I thought. Poor bugger cos I like him.

Where are we at? Eh! Some things still look very yuck. Haven’t seen it mentioned here much but we must be one of the worst teams in the league for blocks and shepherds. We just don’t do it.

The handballing backwards is a shocking habit. When we were in control though the balance looked right. And Naughton does encourage more directness. Just sometimes we look less dangerous than our opponent on our own inside 50 stoppages. Handball handball handball, they eventually turn us over and bang, Caleb one on one defending out the back and we’re done.

Caleb playing back, maybe I’m being harsh. He has beautiful touch and is a key to our exquisite ball movement when it works. He makes us hard to pressure. I guess with him we just have to have it working. With him back he can’t afford to have his teammates sell him out. Hopefully we get better at that. Not sold this is a winning formula though. Most elite teams have flawless backlines.

As many have said, Richards looks at home in the contest down back and loves running into that paddock. Good opportunity to try out JJ’s speed further afield where applying pressure is important.

Dunkley looks like he’s just working his way back. If he gets going it could be key to an unlikely assault in the second half of the year.

Bruce, JJ and Laitham for Lloyd, West and Roarke would make us a decent looking team again on paper. And Sweet or Trengove in for English if he pulls up lame from that ankle and something could ignite.

Gardner plays like a bloke who doesn’t know his own limitations. There is no need for him to be picking off risky kicks deep in defence.

Comfortably his best game but hopefully Bevo has seen enough to call time on this cruel experiment.

For all the positives I’m still drawn towards the glaring negatives that any decent opposition would exploit. Dunkley doing probably 50% of the ruck-work is a disgrace. We have one struggling ruck. I’m sick of him getting no genuine support.

We also look extremely fragile when our attacks break-down. This has been a theme with Bevo’s Bulldogs but I think it might the worst I’ve seen at the moment. That is something the coaches need to address fast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good to get the win which I admit I thought was 50/50 with team selection of Gardner and Roarke so I guess I eat humble pie there. Under estimated how bad the crows were and how good how midfield can be if everyone is on and he opposition is poor. As for Gardner it was made easy as we dominated possession but he did win a couple of one on one contests but he did not do much else. Thought Roarke was poor and would drop both next week.

Couple cheeky comments from people rubbing it in to those critical of Beveridge before the game. Today’s win is a relief for many but the single biggest reason it happened is our team is far more talented than Adelaide’s. Now onto the many positives:

Hunter’s jumper grab the moment of the day. Reckon he’s super important For protecting rebounding and controlling repeat entries. With Naughton up forward that should give us a decent amount of good looks at goal each week. Welcome back kid.

Bailey Williams was brilliant. Super clean defensively and takes so much ground with his jukes and long kicks.

Cavarra has some nice zip on ground level. He stuck his tackles and plays like a forward. Let’s hope he and the dutchman share the forward line for a while yet with their aggression.

Naughton makes the game easy doesn’t he? Gives key defenders fits. Very slippery and viscous on the deck too. We’ve missed him dearly.

Bont and Macrae did own the stoppages in this one like they should. Nice to see them feast.

Mclean could be a stud. He’s so talented. Genuine AFL talent. We’ve gotta get things right there like we did with Dunks last year before he went off. His sidestep before hooking the ball back into Naughton was the sign of a bloke who knows how to make things happen on a footy field.

Dale continues to be an almost guy this year. Imo, he’s on the verge of a big game. Had the skates on a few times today just needs to sharpen back up with his touch and he’ll do damage. Especially roving off a red hot Naughton

Gardner gets a very underwhelming pass mark. Happy for him not to have a howler. Actually hit a beautiful kick at one point.

Baz is still oozing more explosive Treloar vibes. He kicks the ball sweet but his decision making has been meh

Where are we at? Eh! Some things still look very yuck. Haven’t seen it mentioned here much but we must be one of the worst teams in the league for blocks and shepherds. We just don’t do it.

The handballing backwards is a shocking habit. When we were in control though the balance looked right. And Naughton does encourage more directness. Just sometimes we look less dangerous than our opponent on our own inside 50 stoppages. Handball handball handball, they eventually turn us over and bang, Caleb one on one defending out the back and we’re done.

Caleb playing back, maybe I’m being harsh. He has beautiful touch and is a key to our exquisite ball movement when it works. He makes us hard to pressure. I guess with him we just have to have it working. With him back he can’t afford to have his teammates sell him out. Hopefully we get better at that. Not sold this is a winning formula though. Most elite teams have flawless backlines.

As many have said, Richards looks at home in the contest down back and loves running into that paddock. Good opportunity to try out JJ’s speed further afield where applying pressure is important.

Dunkley looks like he’s just working his way back. If he gets going it could be key to an unlikely assault in the second half of the year.

Bruce, JJ and Laitham for Lloyd, West and Roarke would make us a decent looking team again on paper. And Sweet or Trengove in for English if he pulls up lame from that ankle and something could ignite.
I didn’t think West was shocking? He certainly didn’t stand out, but I didn’t notice him doing anything too bad?

It was great to finally see a game live after driving south for 2 hours.

Thoroughly enjoyed dismantling the crows.

Some comments;

The BONT is amazing when things are at their hottest, he is a unique beast and no one else on the park has his presence.

Bazlenka is a gun, kid runs all day when others stop. Is he the best 2nd year player I’ve seen... I’m not sure but he’s damn good.

Naughton needs few touches to dominate. He turned Talia inside out with his leading patterns several times (we were literally on the boundary line) and is a gifted forward.

Libba makes a difference, the things he does behind the play are just as important as what he does in the play. He makes the boys walk taller.

Roarke Smith can play at this level. He has improved immensely and deserves a list spot.

Gardner is as bad as people say on here, the times he was caught out today was because our defensive running in the middle is woeful... more on that shortly... he is not a world beater but is not a list clogger.

Hunter is brilliant.

McLean must NOT be traded, but given more opportunities. He is a player in the mould of Libba doing a lot of the behind the scenes work.

Bailey Williams, I was wrong, you are a gun and I’d rather have you in the team than JJ.

Caleb Daniel is a footballers footballer, he makes snap decisions that only true footballers can make, and delivers more often than not. His kicks generate many many attacking moves from defence.

The bad...

Our midfield, wing defensive running and pressure is absolutely sh*tful. So many times were caught in transition between attack and defence with Adelaide moving the length of the field with little or no pressure was obscene. Our defensive unit were great in stopping some of these attacks but against the good sides we are slaughtered.

We are too slow in transitioning to defence when we lose the ball through a turn over and we don’t shut down the centre of the ground quickly enough. We can’t win another premiership without fixing this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I didn’t think West was shocking? He certainly didn’t stand out, but I didn’t notice him doing anything too bad?
Was very quiet. Got pinged once in a “too cute” offensive foray and kicked a left foot plopper in a dangerous position late in the first half which nearly turned it over in a brutal spot. He did nothing to make up for it. He was bad

I know it's not his job to win a lot of the ball in key defence, but it still provides value.

Gardner had only 3 touches 2 of which were nearly turnovers and dropped an intercept mark that also led/nearly led to a goal (can't remember exactly).

Not sure that counts as passable. That's pretty much as bad of a game you can play, if you're playing against a historically bad team. It's the equivalent of giving away 3 frees to Hipwood.

I know it's not his job to win a lot of the ball in key defence, but it still provides value.

Gardner had only 3 touches 2 of which were nearly turnovers and dropped an intercept mark that also led/nearly led to a goal (can't remember exactly).

Not sure that counts as passable. That's pretty much as bad of a game you can play, if you're playing against a historically bad team. It's the equivalent of giving away 3 frees to Hipwood.

What stats sheet are you reading? Gardiner had 6.

Once again another good post-game piece of analysis.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back