Don Whitten R.I.P.

Remove this Banner Ad

I met Don at the club during the wake for Ted after his funeral. Lovely bloke.

He told some wonderful stories about his brother. The one that sticks out is his description of the funeral procession from the city, down Dynon Rd and Hopkins St. He said that he was overwhelmed by the outpouring of respect and acclamation. He was most surprised with the response of the Vietnamese and other ethnic communities, noting that they may not have known much about footy but knew this was a great man and packed the footpaths in honour. He said he was moved to tears at this display of community esteem.

The tears went away when, going down Geelong Rd, he noticed that some, erm, lady workers, had stopped work and waved their farewells to the revered man.

86 a good innings. RIP

Last edited:

Don lived in Werribee for many years and I used to see him all of the time in central Werribee on his mobility scooter, although probably not the last 4 - 5 years.
Every morning he would cruze passed the coffee shop in Watton St, give the barrister a wave and a nod and keep going down to the newsagents to pick up his morning paper, then swing back passed and pick up his coffee.
He was a lovely old fella - very friendly and so proud of his brother.
My ole man played with and against Don and said that he was a seriously good footballer - he just happened to be overshadowed by his brother - the greatest to ever grace a football field according to dad !

Remove this Banner Ad

Back