Remove this Banner Ad

Merv

<b>Resident Mongrel</b>
10k Posts
Jun 24, 2006
The start of a new era
AFL Club
Essendon
This thread is for all draft discussion.

Please keep to the topic.

It's not about trades, we have a thread for that already, it's for discussion about the upcoming draft.

Re: Draft Discussion

Well ill start it off. Id love to get Masten/Ebert with our first pick. If neither are available, then I think we should go for Rance. I'm not sold on Palmer. From what ive seen (which is just a highlight passage) I dont think he will suit our midfield. I would much prefer to get an in and under type midfielder like Masten. Rance would be a handy pickup, but if Masten/Ebert are available, it would be silly to look past them.

We shold go for the best available midfielder with our first pick, we should end up with one of Masten/Ebert/Morton (in order of preference).

With our 2nd we should go best available, Vezpremi is the one i'd be most interested in and hope he'd fall to that pick.

KPP should be looked at in the later rounds (a backman and a ruckman), we need to get a defender that can defend and stick with his man, a project KP back has shown potential in the areas that are needed for a Backman, not some attacking defender, who is a mighty defender playing 3rd tall eg. Bower (Carl). Maybe someone who follows the young players closely could suggest someone like that.

We also need to go after a ruckman with potential in all the areas you want for a ruckman eg. mobile, tall, quick for height, maybe Dawson Simpson?

Desired outcome ATM:
Pick 6: Chris Masten
Pick 23: Pat Vezpremi/Tayte Pears/Gaetner
Pick 39: Darcy Daniher
Pick 55: Dawson Simpson
Pick 71: Scott Thompson

Doubt it.

I don't know what the kids like at all, but wasn't he meant to have been considered one of the top drafts or something? I read a thread the other day talking about how they would be a fight (not physically) for him....

We shold go for the best available midfielder with our first pick, we should end up with one of Masten/Ebert/Morton (in order of preference).

With our 2nd we should go best available, Vezpremi is the one i'd be most interested in and hope he'd fall to that pick.

KPP should be looked at in the later rounds (a backman and a ruckman), we need to get a defender that can defend and stick with his man, a project KP back has shown potential in the areas that are needed for a Backman, not some attacking defender, who is a mighty defender playing 3rd tall eg. Bower (Carl). Maybe someone who follows the young players closely could suggest someone like that.

We also need to go after a ruckman with potential in all the areas you want for a ruckman eg. mobile, tall, quick for height, maybe Dawson Simpson?

Desired outcome ATM:
Pick 6: Chris Masten
Pick 23: Pat Vezpremi
Pick 71: Scott Thompson

Has Daniher already said he wants to go to Essendon under the father / son? I'm pretty sure the Swans will be keen on him also. Chances are that he will end up picking the Bombers if the two clubs are after him anyway. But you never know...

Desired outcome ATM:
Pick 6: Brad Ebert
Pick 23: Pat Vezpremi/ Dangerfield
Pick 71: Westhoff ;), seriously though a Project KPP (Backman)

Cant we pick up Darcy Daniher in Father son selection
we should go:
1: Brad Ebert
2: Scott Selwood (unlikely but still a possibility)
3: Darcy Daniher

Cant we pick up Darcy Daniher in Father son selection
we should go:
1: Brad Ebert
2: Scott Selwood (unlikely but still a possibility)
3: Darcy Daniher

In 2007 the AFL established a bidding system to determine which draft pick a club must give up to secure the potential recruit under the Father-son rule. Under the changes, every club in the competition nominates the pick they would use to select the player in question, and the club wishing to use the father/son rule must use its next available pick after the lowest nominal pick by other clubs to secure the player.[1] In the case of the 2006 draft's highest profile Father-Son recruit, Tom Hawkins, the new concept would have likely seen Geelong faced with the option of either using a first, rather than third, round selection or lose him to a rival that would.

What do you guys think about taking a punt with Scott Selwood as our pick6. Now I love Ebert and would love him as well, but at least you know you are getting a solid player as all the Selwood's have been damn good, and Scott is MEANT to be better than Joel! Thoughts?

What do you guys think about taking a punt with Scott Selwood as our pick6. Now I love Ebert and would love him as well, but at least you know you are getting a solid player as all the Selwood's have been damn good, and Scott is MEANT to be better than Joel! Thoughts?

All this talk about him being better than Joel is just crap.
Probably started on BF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All this talk about him being better than Joel is just crap.
Probably started on BF

Ok, so is he worth a pick 6 or not? He is underaged remember. I recon at least we know we will get a decent player in Selwood. Consider he won't be there in our 2nd round pick, so to get him we'd have to take a punt on him.

Is Rance worth pick 6? Should we try to secure another pick (around 9-11) to try to pick him up? Wouldn't mind picking him up, I think we have loaded up well on midfielders in the last few drafts. If it is going to be a midfielder, I want someone for the clearances

Ok, so is he worth a pick 6 or not? He is underaged remember. I recon at least we know we will get a decent player in Selwood. Consider he won't be there in our 2nd round pick, so to get him we'd have to take a punt on him.

He would be a laughable decision at pick 6. Why do we know we'll get a decent player? Because his name is Selwood? Ever see Joel Reynolds play?

Is Rance worth pick 6? Should we try to secure another pick (around 9-11) to try to pick him up? Wouldn't mind picking him up, I think we have loaded up well on midfielders in the last few drafts. If it is going to be a midfielder, I want someone for the clearances

I'm not sure, as you never can be, if he will be there at 6.

He is the type of player that carlton or Melbourne could really do with.

Having said that, i don't think carlton will take him, so it may be just Melbourne.

There would be a very good chance he will be there at 6.

The results from draft camp will help to decide a few things yet though.

I'm not sure, as you never can be, if he will be there at 6.

He is the type of player that carlton or Melbourne could really do with.

Having said that, i don't think carlton will take him, so it may be just Melbourne.

There would be a very good chance he will be there at 6.

The results from draft camp will help to decide a few things yet though.
Unfortunately, that is true. Draft camp is overrated IMO. It tells us who the best athlete is, not who is the best footballer. Can anybody name the best performed at draft camp now, NO! (for the record, it was Shane Edwards fron the Tigers and Simon Hogan from Geelong.) But these were not the best players from the draft last year. Far from it.

Unfortunately, that is true. Draft camp is overrated IMO. It tells us who the best athlete is, not who is the best footballer. Can anybody name the best performed at draft camp now, NO! (for the record, it was Shane Edwards fron the Tigers and Simon Hogan from Geelong.) But these were not the best players from the draft last year. Far from it.

While that is true, it can help you decide between a few players that may be similar types or play the same position.

Recruiters don't work off these results exclusively, they are just a piece of the puzzle.

Scott Selwood is barely worth a second round draft pick. If you havent watched TAC or colts footy please dont go by surnames.
I hope Knights talk about a tall running defender was not meaning we would use pick six on a tall. The only player who remotely meets that description is David Myer from WA. I would prefer a blue chip midfielder.

Scott Selwood is barely worth a second round draft pick. If you havent watched TAC or colts footy please dont go by surnames.
I hope Knights talk about a tall running defender was not meaning we would use pick six on a tall. The only player who remotely meets that description is David Myer from WA. I would prefer a blue chip midfielder.
Maybe he was talking about Collier or Tate Pears at our 2nd pick?

I like the sound of Pears:
Tate Pears-192cm, 90kg-East Perth-(CHB/HBF). Played at CHB for WA in the champs and played well. Like Collier is probably a bit short of the prototype CHB but he simply gets the job done. Plays tight but knows when to run off. Like his team mates he gave WA great run from defence. He has shown he can spoil well and has played forward at times with East Perth colts and kicked a goal.
Pick 15 to 40.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back