Recruiting Draft Watch 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Fejo, Rayson, Stretch, Dittmar, Dean, Preston, Rentsch, Long, Becker.

I would be very happy if we walked out of the rookie draft with Fejo and Dittmar.
Stretch and Long for me.

In reality there is simply a lot of guessing going on here .Even more than normal. These players have a very small sample size. The reason I am not all that locked in on any one player is there is just not a lot to go on.
I generally like to have seen over 3 games live and quite a few on replay before starting to form a strong opinion.

While people here are going crazy, there's something I don't get.

Since the start of the year, Melbourne have recruited/drafted:

Majak Daw.
Deakyn Smith.
Kye Declase. (Since delisted.)
Daniel Turner.
Luke Dunstan.
Jacob Van Rooyen.
Blake Howes.
Taj Woewodin.

Yet none of these players have their own threads on Melbourne's board.

While people here are going crazy, there's something I don't get.

Since the start of the year, Melbourne have recruited/drafted:

Majak Daw.
Deakyn Smith.
Kye Declase. (Since delisted.)
Daniel Turner.
Luke Dunstan.
Jacob Van Rooyen.
Blake Howes.
Taj Woewodin.

Yet none of these players have their own threads on Melbourne's board.

We have a very well organised board compared to many other teams

Disappointed we missed out on Draper by one pick, but the reality is Collingwood played it perfectly.

It looked like for us that one of Draper or Taylor was going to slide to our pick, with Geelong seemingly keen on someone else. Collingwood realised they were going to miss out (with Adelaide and us likely to snare them) and then waited until Adelaide were taking their pick to trade up, meaning there was no way to jump them. We were screwed.

Also another interesting wrinkle, if Daicos is bid on at 2/3 like every one thought, Collingwoods pick 49 gets used up and they probably can't trade up. GWS helped to stuff us as well by not bidding on Daicos.

TL;DR - the draft is 2 hours of continual sliding doors. It hurts to get so close to Taylor/Draper but that's how the cookie crumbles. If we took Lord at 46, we probably were going to take him at 50, so it is not the pick is still a good one for mine

I question whether we were really that keen on Draper/Taylor/Howes. Not saying we wouldn’t have taken them if available at our pick, but if we were really interested surely we slide up to make sure we get them.

I question whether we were really that keen on Draper/Taylor/Howes. Not saying we wouldn’t have taken them if available at our pick, but if we were really interested surely we slide up to make sure we get them.
I dont think the lack of trades has to do with teams wanting to trade up, but rather teams were really reluctant to trade back.
Even if we wanted to move up, we may not have had anyone who wanted to do a deal to move back.

I would have liked Draper, but it is what it is. I remember when we passed on Rantall and everyone lost their minds, you never know.

I dont think the lack of trades has to do with teams wanting to trade up, but rather teams were really reluctant to trade back.
Even if we wanted to move up, we may not have had anyone who wanted to do a deal to move back.

I would have liked Draper, but it is what it is. I remember when we passed on Rantall and everyone lost their minds, you never know.
If we rated Draper et al in the top 20 I reckon we’d be offering F2. Who knows? Maybe we were offering F2 and 45 but had no takers 🤷‍♀️

I’m actually pretty happy we kept our future picks. We could really spin them into something pretty valuable next year.

If we rated Draper et al in the top 20 I reckon we’d be offering F2. Who knows? Maybe we were offering F2 and 45 but had no takers 🤷‍♀️

I’m actually pretty happy we kept our future picks. We could really spin them into something pretty valuable next year.
You can only trade up if someone wants to trade back, and with the amount of guys 'sliding', clubs seemed reluctant to do so.

I wonder as well with the Davey twins next year, we are going to need a lot of list spots and picks to hae enough to match them.

Only taking 3 picks this year, when we had 6 available, may have meant we weren't looking to take too many guys this year as they are guaranteed contracts for two years. Using 3 rookies picks instead give us far greater flexibility.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will we be rookie Dylan Clarke tonight?

Reality is we have been giving away second rounders in years where the second round has offered good value both in talent and in live trades. We have been slow on the uptake there.

Someone posted our 2nd rounders for the last 5 or so years and it's really not that bad a run as you're suggesting.

Someone posted our 2nd rounders for the last 5 or so years and it's really not that bad a run as you're suggesting.

From the last 5 years including this one we have, Jones, Eyre and Bryan. 1 hit and two to be determined.

In the same period Melbourne has Fristch, Jordon, Sparrow, Bowey, Laurie, Rivers. That is the premiership level drafting we should be aspiring to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back