Recruiting Draft Watch - Jones, Bryan, Johnson, Cahill, Hibberd in

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This may not belong here - but that's why we have awesome moderators.

I was thinking about what a great pick up Guelfi has been with selection 76 last year, so I started to look back at where our current list came from. Many of us remember specific selections from the past, or what happened in a given draft year but I couldn't recall seeing them all in one place.

It was an interesting exercise (for me at least).
Here goes:

NATIONAL DRAFT
1. McGrath, Goddard (Saints)
4. Luenberger (Lions)
5. Hurley, Parish, Stringer (Dogs)
6. Myers, Francis
8. Heppell
10. Daniher
14. Smith (GWS)
17. Langford
20. Laverde
22. Ridley
23. Zaharakis
26. Colyer, Z. Merrett
30. Redman
31. J. Merrett, Begley
32. Green (Lions)
42. Mutch
44. Dea (Tigers)
49. Houlahan
53. Gleeson
54. Hooker, Brown
55. Fantasia
63. Clarke
66. Zerk-Thatcher
68. Hartley
76. Guelfi

ROOKIE DRAFT
Bellchambers
Baguley
Ambrose
McKernan
McKenna
Long
Saad (Suns)
McDonald-Tipungwuti
McNiece
Draper
Lavender
Mynott
This is awesome mate cheers, going of this i feel we should be trying to work another pick into the top 20 this year. I think a pick in the 13-18 range would be perfect, id look at somehow trading our 2nd this year and next year for a pick in that range and say a 3rd rounder.

Could look at North

North pick 14 and 39

Us Pick 26 and 2019 2nd rounder

North will be using up their pick 14 for Tarryn Thomas anyway.

Or even Adelaide with their pick 16 and 37.

This is awesome mate cheers, going of this i feel we should be trying to work another pick into the top 20 this year. I think a pick in the 13-18 range would be perfect, id look at somehow trading our 2nd this year and next year for a pick in that range and say a 3rd rounder.

Could look at North

North pick 14 and 39

Us Pick 26 and 2019 2nd rounder

North will be using up their pick 14 for Tarryn Thomas anyway.

Or even Adelaide with their pick 16 and 37.
I like it.

You see these sorts of trades in the nfl all the time and smart teams like the patriots and packers routinely exploit opposition roster issues and draft needs for better (or sometimes more) picks.

It takes some gonads but it is exciting to watch and with live trading likely to come in smart teams will use these trades to their advantage.

Having pick 6-8ish and 14-16ish would be a great draft hand.

Doesn't get enough of it, does he?
TAC this year has been 22 17 14 28 15 21 21 . Not as high as some have had but he is a good clearance player.

He is a good clearance player.
Has a nice 5 metre burst of acceleration and is a long kick.
He is a good marking option for a mid as well.
His flaws are serious, he lacks endurance running ability and he is not as strong as he could be over the footy.
Charlie cons table is a good recent player comparison.

He is a good clearance player.
Has a nice 5 metre burst of acceleration and is a long kick.
He is a good marking option for a mid as well.
His flaws are serious, he lacks endurance running ability and he is not as strong as he could be over the footy.
Charlie cons table is a good recent player comparison.
Constable not a bad comparison, would have him covered for speed though.

I sometimes worry about the kids like Smith who put in a massive effort in juniors. Like it shows he’s professional and dedicated and all that but I wonder if it reduces his scope for improvement at the AFL level. Compare that to Merret (hadn’t done a preseason), or Begley and Francis (fat kids who still tore it up), or Gleeson (physique of a 10yo); you can see where the improvement is going to come from once you can get them into a system that fixes their shortcomings.

I sometimes worry about the kids like Smith who put in a massive effort in juniors. Like it shows he’s professional and dedicated and all that but I wonder if it reduces his scope for improvement at the AFL level. Compare that to Merret (hadn’t done a preseason), or Begley and Francis (fat kids who still tore it up), or Gleeson (physique of a 10yo); you can see where the improvement is going to come from once you can get them into a system that fixes their shortcomings.
If only we had a system that fixes their shortcomings

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a shame we have so many small players on the list - it'll sting if/when we have to pass on Rankine... He looks all class.

On the other hand though at least you know they'll cope with the demands of professionalism.

What do you think of his speed? At the moment it’s my main reason for not having him in my top 30. That and his kicking can be inconsistent, is screaming Mynott to me who I liked but still went late.

He is just average in the pace department which is why he is not really mentioned in the top 30 or so. I suspect he may be a bit like Jack Graham in that he could do well in the Champs but not really be considered before the third round. I have been impressed with his clearance work but also the fact despite him not being quick he can spread and be involved.
I know it is a real stretch and we would have to be bottom 3 but if you could pick Sam Walsh first and Valente second you would do well if you where looking at KP sized players after round 2.
I think he will fall outside the top 30. Maybe outside the top 45. He is what some consider to be "vanilla".

He is just average in the pace department which is why he is not really mentioned in the top 30 or so. I suspect he may be a bit like Jack Graham in that he could do well in the Champs but not really be considered before the third round. I have been impressed with his clearance work but also the fact despite him not being quick he can spread and be involved.
I know it is a real stretch and we would have to be bottom 3 but if you could pick Sam Walsh first and Valente second you would do well if you where looking at KP sized players after round 2.
I think he will fall outside the top 30. Maybe outside the top 45. He is what some consider to be "vanilla".
I think Valente would have to be in the mix in the 2nd round, I have Riordan as mother similar type in that range that we could look at. We should look at the best mid at our 1st whether Walsh is available if not then Smith or Hately although none are your pure contested inside type like a Valente is.

D_P_S Other than the apparent lack of an elite inside midfielder it's pretty clear that we have very little depth in our forward line (talls and smalls) which ones floating around the juniors do you think would fit? I'm keen on Garoni and the two GWV boys Hill and Wilson what have you seen of them?

D_P_S Other than the apparent lack of an elite inside midfielder it's pretty clear that we have very little depth in our forward line (talls and smalls) which ones floating around the juniors do you think would fit? I'm keen on Garoni and the two GWV boys Hill and Wilson what have you seen of them?
Garoni is very slow so if we where to take him it would be very late, I’d have a look later at Dillon O’Rielly from WA. Some good small forwards I don’t mind Jed Hill and Toby Bedford played a good game for Country on the weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back