DT Forwards 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Well I don't think your starting squad matters, but by the time round 11 rolls around, my aim is to have 8-11-11 and then do some serious trading after the first bye round. The only thing I am doing is avoiding premiums from the first bye round - these will be my upgrade targets after that round. I'll try and balance my opening squad, but as long as when round 11 hits I have 8-11-11, it's a good place to start.

Im not sure using 6 trades in just 2 rounds will be the best way to go, unless of course your upgrading all of them.

Interesting idea to upgrade to the round 11 bye teams, but i think they are clearly the weakest premiums going around. Maybe upgrading to someone like Boyd is a good idea, but there isn't alot more from that group that you either wouldn't start with or would trade to after this time, that i can see atm.

Im not sure using 6 trades in just 2 rounds will be the best way to go, unless of course your upgrading all of them.

Interesting idea to upgrade to the round 11 bye teams, but i think they are clearly the weakest premiums going around. Maybe upgrading to someone like Boyd is a good idea, but there isn't alot more from that group that you either wouldn't start with or would trade to after this time, that i can see atm.

That's the whole point - you have the luxury of watching for 11 weeks for the right player.

The other issue with this method is that the biggest source of promising rookies, ( ie upgradeables ) is GWS, in the round 11 group.

So you end up getting inferior rookies to upgrade to inferior premiums.

May be able to do it to some extent though.

The midfield group is okay for week 11 with Boyd, Rockliff, Redden and ST. The backs you have a couple of guys like Hanley or Adcock who you could justify playing at your 6 or 7 back. Up forward though it is pretty bare on the premium front. It could be a case where you trade down in the forwards to free up money to upgrade across the other two lines. Chances are you are going to have to go down with one of your trades in round 12 and the forwards look like it.

The midfield group is okay for week 11 with Boyd, Rockliff, Redden and ST. The backs you have a couple of guys like Hanley or Adcock who you could justify playing at your 6 or 7 back. Up forward though it is pretty bare on the premium front. It could be a case where you trade down in the forwards to free up money to upgrade across the other two lines. Chances are you are going to have to go down with one of your trades in round 12 and the forwards look like it.

There are definitely very few FWD keepers in the Rd 11 group. Hopefully a new Fyfe will emerge from one of these teams. Leigh Adams is one to look at and obviously there's been a bit of talk about Danger but neither of those would be rated as "keepers" at this point.

There are definitely very few FWD keepers in the Rd 11 group. Hopefully a new Fyfe will emerge from one of these teams. Leigh Adams is one to look at and obviously there's been a bit of talk about Danger but neither of those would be rated as "keepers" at this point.

I will probably look at Porp and Brown in that group.

I will probably look at Porp and Brown in that group.

To upgrade too? or to start with

Really to get the best out of these guys your better off starting with them at such a cheap price. Even upgrading to them after round 11 bye, means they are scoring well which will mean they are expensive. Meaning you buy them at an expensive price for players who both play for bottom 8 sides (2011), both have injury problems/bad durability and may after that round go back to avg what they have in the past 75-85 (not good enough), meanign you end up with a few weak premiums.

To upgrade too? or to start with

Really to get the best out of these guys your better off starting with them at such a cheap price. Even upgrading to them after round 11 bye, means they are scoring well which will mean they are expensive. Meaning you buy them at an expensive price for players who both play for bottom 8 sides (2011), both have injury problems/bad durability and may after that round go back to avg what they have in the past 75-85 (not good enough), meanign you end up with a few weak premiums.

No to start with.
I've got no upgrade targets in that group, and the trouble is , if the new Fyfe comes along, you want to get him before the price goes through the roof, preferably after three games.
Waiting for the bye is unlikely to be an option.

Another strategy might be to start offloading your GWS rookies from round 9 (if they start hitting the top of the rollercoaster), trading in other rookies and stockpiling some cash to bring in premiums over rounds 11-13

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently Porps is one of the most professional footballers in the comp and down at the crows. I heard his diet is second to none, his rehabilitation, training and preparation is as good as it gets. So with this and the fact he has played 18,22 and 19 games in the 3 previous years before his injury that forced him to miss most of last year, makes him a player that has to be considered at 200 odd k.

Hes a lock best 21 when fit, avg 78/79 4 years ago when DT scores wernt generally as high across the board and he hasnt been introduced to the midfield as much as what the coaches have always wanted with Porps, hard to say what Sanderson will see his role as, but most small forwards rotate and spend time in the guts now, especially very capable blokes like Porps.

Apparently Porps is one of the most professional footballers in the comp and down at the crows. I heard his diet is second to none, his rehabilitation, training and preparation is as good as it gets. So with this and the fact he has played 18,22 and 19 games in the 3 previous years before his injury that forced him to miss most of last year, makes him a player that has to be considered at 200 odd k.

Hes a lock best 21 when fit, avg 78/79 4 years ago when DT scores wernt generally as high across the board and he hasnt been introduced to the midfield as much as what the coaches have always wanted with Porps, hard to say what Sanderson will see his role as, but most small forwards rotate and spend time in the guts now, especially very capable blokes like Porps.

If he was full price the only thing stopping me from considering him is the injury history. At the price he's a win after three games.
Just need to allow that there may well be a trade during the year.

I agree with 54......DT wise, if they're not looking like being in the top 10 scoring players for that position IMO they're OK and the DT coaches that are 'OK' can select them.

Between you and I and the fence post, and I say this every year....I list who I think will be the top 10 scoring players for each position, 5 for ruck and will only look at taking these players as premium keepers in my team. Otherwise it's rookies and possibly a few of the bargain type (Price Reduction) players.

By all means if you're happy ending up with a team of OK players at the end of the year it really doesnt worry me, in fact I endorse it!

Whilst players may be undervalued at that awkward price, unless they can develop into a season keeper it seems a waste to me to start them or trade them in.

Just my 2c worth.

Rather than getting fixated with your starting team each pre season, this is the time you really should be planning your final team.

:thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu: Great advice. Are you on twitter?

Thoughts on Ballantyne & Christensen? Could be good value if they get some good time in the middle.

Thoughts on Ballantyne & Christensen? Could be good value if they get some good time in the middle.

Certainly players to consider along with some other good mid price forwards off the top of my head

Brown, Porpz, Garlett, Duncan, Dangerfield, Watts (role?) along with those 2 are some very good midprice options to consider but they dont have a favourable bye round (Chapman, Fyfe, Zaka, SJ, Goodes, ROK, Sylvia, Cloke, Beams, Sidey all being involved in that round 12 bye with Balla and Christenson). Harper is one ive been trying to keep under guard but now doubt ill pick him but was very impressed by his 1st season, mainly because he showed plenty as an onballer after being considered an X factor forward who goes missing too often when drafted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back