Recruiting EFC Trade/Draft Talk II with F/A rules in OP - Billings for a fourth rounder the latest rumour

What do we do with the #1 pick?

• Use it

Votes: 73 47.4%
  • Trade it for multiple top 10 picks

Votes: 65 42.2%
  • Trade it for players

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Trade it for players and first round picks

Votes: 13 8.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
But, but, but, but

Hurley is mates with Jakey, or someone at the Pies or someone in Adelaide or just someone in the street.

Yet again the greatest news breaker in the history of footy if not the history of the media has got it totally wrong, followed by the rest of the fearless and wise media (hacks) pack

Yet if anyone had listened to people that actually knew Hurley, the odds were always in favor of him staying.

Prior to Hurley announcing this, Essendon had said

(i) they will only trade an equivalent player for Hurley
(ii) all 5 players must commit to Dons within 2-3 weeks

This may have raised a dilemma for the teams in the finals. e.g. Boyd and Dalhuas (however its spelt), you guys are off to Essendon
Signatures should hopefully start coming thick and fast over the next few weeks. Despite Watson, Hibberd, etc. I reckon the 2 most important guys to sign now are Goddard and Laverde.

Reckon the remaining OOC guys will get the following:
Watson: 1 year (with an option for a 2nd if he wants it).
Hibberd: Still think he's gone to the Dees, otherwise 2-3 years.
Howlett: Think he's gone, wants a longer term deal but we can't give him one. Can't see a spot for him to be honest.
Pears: Training with the MFB, almost certainly going to retire.
Laverde: 2-3 years. Reckon getting Hurley over the line has held things up with him.
Goddard: 2 years. Deserves to see this through, and despite the occasional dummy spit has been a fantastic leader for the club.
Dempsey: Just delist him already, should've done it 2 or 3 years ago.
Ashby: Can't see how he gets a game going forward. Delist.
Edwards: Reckon his papers are stamped as far as staying on the senior list, but could be demoted to the rookie list.
Gleeson: 1-2 years. Has probably earned another contract but really needs to come on quickly or he could be forced out as early as next year.
Gwilt: Retire. Has been a good soldier but will now have all of Hurley, Hooker, Hartley, Francis, Ambrose and likely Dea ahead of him next year.
Kommer: Gone. Aside from 2 games earlier this year, he hadn't played any AFL footy since 2013. Time to cut him loose.
McKernan: Gone. Just can't cut it at AFL level, is a good VFL player but that's all he'll ever be.
Hams: Will either be retained on the rookie list or upgraded depending on other list management decisions.
Long: A certainty to be retained on the rookie list for mine, could push to be upgraded next year.
McDonald-Tipungwuti: Surely he's a certainty to be upgraded, has been a real find for us.
McKenna: Reckon he spends one final year on the rookie list and is then upgraded. Gets better with every game he plays.
Nyuon: Really depends on the court verdict. If found guilty the club cuts him loose, but I'd like to see us stick with him.
Wallis: Seems to have competed fairly well at VFL level and has probably done enough to be retained.

AFL best 22 next year? If Hibberd goes then I'd reckon the following (bear in mind this is only using currently listed players):
FB: Hurley - Hartley - Baguley
HB: Goddard - Hooker - Stanton
C: Colyer - Watson(?) - Zaharakis
R: Leuenberger - Heppell - Z.Merrett
HF: Laverde - Daniher - Myers
FF: Fantasia - Bellchambers - Francis
I/C: Parish - Langford - Hocking - McDonald-Tipungwuti

Signatures should hopefully start coming thick and fast over the next few weeks. Despite Watson, Hibberd, etc. I reckon the 2 most important guys to sign now are Goddard and Laverde.

Howlett: Think he's gone, wants a longer term deal but we can't give him one. Can't see a spot for him to be honest.
Laverde: 2-3 years. Reckon getting Hurley over the line has held things up with him.
Goddard: 2 years. Deserves to see this through, and despite the occasional dummy spit has been a fantastic leader for the club.
Edwards: Reckon his papers are stamped as far as staying on the senior list, but could be demoted to the rookie list.
Gleeson: 1-2 years. Has probably earned another contract but really needs to come on quickly or he could be forced out as early as next year.
Gwilt: Retire. Has been a good soldier but will now have all of Hurley, Hooker, Hartley, Francis, Ambrose and likely Dea ahead of him next year.
Kommer: Gone. Aside from 2 games earlier this year, he hadn't played any AFL footy since 2013. Time to cut him loose.
McKernan: Gone. Just can't cut it at AFL level, is a good VFL player but that's all he'll ever be.
Hams: Will either be retained on the rookie list or upgraded depending on other list management decisions.
Long: A certainty to be retained on the rookie list for mine, could push to be upgraded next year.
McDonald-Tipungwuti: Surely he's a certainty to be upgraded, has been a real find for us.
McKenna: Reckon he spends one final year on the rookie list and is then upgraded. Gets better with every game he plays.
Nyuon: Really depends on the court verdict. If found guilty the club cuts him loose, but I'd like to see us stick with him.
Wallis: Seems to have competed fairly well at VFL level and has probably done enough to be retained.

AFL best 22 next year? If Hibberd goes then I'd reckon the following (bear in mind this is only using currently listed players):
Agree for the most part, but would give Gleeson 3.

I like it!!

though for mine Id put Dea on the HBF, move stanton to wing and drop Colyer to Emergency (provided we get Dea in the draft)

Bird lucky to miss, him or Hocking depending on form

I like it!!

though for mine Id put Dea on the HBF, move stanton to wing and drop Colyer to Emergency (provided we get Dea in the draft)

Bird lucky to miss, him or Hocking depending on form
Drop Colyer? You realise whenever we play a game (not including this year) and a missing him he seriously lack leg speed through the midfield don't you?
No offence, but that's a laughable suggestion.

That team looks awesome on paper.

Pity to not have Ambrose in the team ... and McKenna.

Saw the last quarter of the Rd 2 2015 Essendon v Hawthorn replay the other day.

Ashby came on late and played deep in the backline and was under huge pressure
and did some really good things. As did Paddy Ambrose. Get the impression that
both may play well in finals.

I would give Ashby another chance ... these guys need a few games in a row at
AFL level to demonstrate their ability (like McKenna has done).

What are your thoughts on Bird?

Any need to consider Kelly? Perhaps if Watson doesn't sign. He would also be good in finals if
we happened to get there.

#1 Draft pick should also get a look in.

Drop Colyer? You realise whenever we play a game (not including this year) and a missing him he seriously lack leg speed through the midfield don't you?
No offence, but that's a laughable suggestion.
Colyer had half a good year, his leg speed can be replaced by AMT. Stanton on the other hand is not a backman, Dea is.

If you're that keen on keeping Colyer in the starting 18 you'd have to find a spot for Stanton that isn't HBF

That team looks awesome on paper.

Pity to not have Ambrose in the team ... and McKenna.

Saw the last quarter of the Rd 2 2015 Essendon v Hawthorn replay the other day.

Ashby came on late and played deep in the backline and was under huge pressure
and did some really good things. As did Paddy Ambrose. Get the impression that
both may play well in finals.

I would give Ashby another chance ... these guys need a few games in a row at
AFL level to demonstrate their ability (like McKenna has done).

What are your thoughts on Bird?

Any need to consider Kelly? Perhaps if Watson doesn't sign. He would also be good in finals if
we happened to get there.

#1 Draft pick should also get a look in.
Yeah unfortunately there's no room for either Ambrose or McKenna right now, I reckon McKenna replaces either Hibberd or Baguley eventually. All I can say is our backline depth next year is exceptional on paper.

To be honest with Ashby, I think we've given him enough time. He's had 4 years and has only played 12 games. Would have all of Baguley, Dea, Gleeson, McKenna, Walla, etc. ahead of him as small defenders next year. We can't afford to carry dead weight any longer.

I reckon Bird provides good depth as a defensive midfielder/forward. Could be useful in game where we'd need to tag two players (i.e. Geelong - Dangerfield and Selwood, etc.).

I don't think Kelly will go on, as good as he's been for us this year I don't think he'd want to put his body through another pre-season and season. If Watson doesn't sign then I reckon you cover that by putting either Goddard or Zaharakis on the inside and put Parish on the wing or something.

Whoever we draft at #1 and #19 (which my preference would be a McLuggage, Battle combo) will probably play at some point in the year but I'm not sure whether they'll play Round 1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Colyer had half a good year, his leg speed can be replaced by AMT. Stanton on the other hand is not a backman, Dea is.

If you're that keen on keeping Colyer in the starting 18 you'd have to find a spot for Stanton that isn't HBF
And look how badly we went for the other half of the year when we didn't have him. In an ideal situation I'd play Colyer and Walla on the wings, but obviously I'm not the coach so.

Stanton played a lot of footy off half-back last year though. You remember people saying he was getting a lot of fairly cheap disposals in the backline?

If he doesn't start off a flank then I'd put Walla on the HBF and start Stanton on the bench. Would like to see Stanton used in a role similar to that of Kelly this year.

Looking at Woosha's video up on the EFC website, he claims he hasn't even spoken to Hurley yet. Someone's lying out their arse and I'd be prepared to say it's not the Coach.

I hold little merit in a lot of these twitter accounts. One of them is now saying that Hurley's signature will be announced at 6:18pm today. Really? #18 player announced on the 18th day of the month at 18:18? #absurd #HappyToBeWrong

Pretty sure he told you exactly what happened.

Hurls Jobe Stants = 18 4 5 = Hurley 4 (Million or for) 5 years.

Silver lining in all of this. If he was ever going to leave, it was never for money. We came to the party. He wants success. Him signing on a backing that he thinks he can have success here. If he left, it would have been because he didn't think we'd have success.

Now we can get other contracts sorted. Laverde should be first cab off the rank. Getting Parish locked away before 2017 would be ideal too.

And look how badly we went for the other half of the year when we didn't have him. In an ideal situation I'd play Colyer and Walla on the wings, but obviously I'm not the coach so.

Stanton played a lot of footy off half-back last year though. You remember people saying he was getting a lot of fairly cheap disposals in the backline?

If he doesn't start off a flank then I'd put Walla on the HBF and start Stanton on the bench. Would like to see Stanton used in a role similar to that of Kelly this year.
Stanton played defensive wing, a position that usually drops back, especially when the switch is on.
With the exception of an injury enforced on field reshuffle, stanton doesn't play one of the back 6 positions.
Colyer is good but not a best 18 lock.
What he can provide in the defensive half of the ground can be provided by AMT, forward half by Fantasia.

Having said that I think there will be a number of games where we need to play small, which would involve dropping TBC, having Daniher pinch hit in the ruck, which would open up another spot for a quick small, bring in Colyer for those games

So Hurley back in.

Bags Hartley Gleeson
Ambrose Hurley Hibberd
Colyer Heppell Merrett
Laverde Daniher Langford
Fantasia Hooker ???
Berger Goddard Watson
Zaka McKenna Tippa ???

Other FF options: Brown, Bellchambers, Watson?, recruit someone who can also ruck(Reilly O'Brien, Vickery?)
FP options: Stanton, Howlett, Redman, Watson and slide Myers into the middle. McCluggage?
Bench: What are we missing from that side?

Last edited:
So Hurley back in.

Bags Hartley Gleeson
Ambrose Hurley Hibberd
Colyer Heppell Merrett
Laverde Daniher Langford
Fantasia ??? ???
Berger Goddard Watson
Zaka McKenna Tippa ???

FF options: Brown, Bellchambers, Watson?, recruit someone who can also ruck(Reilly O'Brien, Vickery?)
FP options: Stanton, Howlett, Redman, Watson and slide Myers into the middle. McCluggage?
Bench: What are we missing from that side?
I think you've forgotten Hooker....

Have Gold Coast completely ruled out trading for Pick 1? Reckon that could be a way for a trade to be done if we are targeting O'Meara or Prestia.

Have Gold Coast completely ruled out trading for Pick 1? Reckon that could be a way for a trade to be done if we are targeting O'Meara or Prestia.
Well they've ruled out trading their two top 10 selections for it at any rate. And also given how difficult the Suns are to deal with they wouldn't accept Pick 1 for both. We already know they're trying to ask way overs (two top 10 picks) for O'Meara alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back