Recruiting EFC Trade/Draft Talk III - 1 McClug, 1 Billings (AND ROSS) for 4th rounder get it done dodoro

Who should we take with pick 1?

• Hugh McCluggage

Votes: 202 59.6%
  • Will Brodie

Votes: 50 14.7%
  • SPS

Votes: 13 3.8%
  • Rhys Mathieson

Votes: 30 8.8%
  • Jack Billings

Votes: 22 6.5%
  • Ben Ainsworth

Votes: 9 2.7%
  • A well pickled ham

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • A bag of mouldy spuds

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • A rancid orange

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • A floury apple

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • An over mushy pear

• A rock hard mandarin

• A braised brussel sprout

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the plan then is...

Trade 1)
Carlton get: Marchbank and pick 15
GWS get: pick 5

Trade 2)
Fremantle get: McCarthy and pick 7
GWS get: pick 3

Trade 3)
Essendon get: picks 3 + 5 + 16
GWS get: picks 1 + 20 + 38 + 2017 2nd rounder (or pick 27 for Hibberd trade - depending on if they want more points this year or next).

Approx even on points.

Having picks 3 + 5 in the draft is essentially picks 3 + 4 as we know even if Brisbane don't bid on Bowes with pick 2 we can bid on him at pick 3 and force GC's hand.

Regarding GWS's position you can see it 2 ways:
1) They're giving a hell of a lot to get pick 1
2) They don't really care about losing those players and now they get pick #1 and insure they get all their academy picks anyway.

I think if Freo gives up pick 3 then they will probably want something extra from GWS, or maybe us, so they can trade it for Brad Hill. Pick 20 or the Hibberd pick?

I think if Freo gives up pick 3 then they will probably want something extra from GWS, or maybe us, so they can trade it for Brad Hill. Pick 20 or the Hibberd pick?
I doubt they would get more than pick 7 and McCarthy for pick 3. Asking for a pick 20 or 28 would be too much IMO.
I think they'll probably look at on-trading their compenstion pick for Mayne to get Brad Hill in.

Probably a moot point whether he played more ruck or forward. Bottom line is he was elite in both positions and drafted with that versatility in mind as a first round pick. I had hoped at the time that he might slip through to our pick and that he could have replaced Ryder.

So the plan then is...

Trade 1)
Carlton get: Marchbank and pick 15
GWS get: pick 5

Trade 2)
Fremantle get: McCarthy and pick 7
GWS get: pick 3

Trade 3)
Essendon get: picks 3 + 5 + 16
GWS get: picks 1 + 20 + 38 + 2017 2nd rounder (or pick 27 for Hibberd trade - depending on if they want more points this year or next).

Approx even on points.

Having picks 3 + 5 in the draft is essentially picks 3 + 4 as we know even if Brisbane don't bid on Bowes with pick 2 we can bid on him at pick 3 and force GC's hand.

Regarding GWS's position you can see it 2 ways:
1) They're giving a hell of a lot to get pick 1
2) They don't really care about losing those players and now they get pick #1 and insure they get all their academy picks anyway.
Not terrible, for mine though:

Trade 1:
CARL out/GWS in: Pick 24
GWS out/CARL in: Marchbank
**Unless there's another player involved, i.e. Stewart I can't see Carlton giving up Pick 5 in the Marchbank deal (with Pick 15 going back their way).**

Trade 2:
FRE out/GWS in: Pick 3
GWS out/FRE in: McCarthy + Pick 7
**Pretty straightforward, from here the Dockers would probably trade Picks 7 & 40 to Hawthorn in exchange for Hill & Pick 14.**

Trade 3:
ESS out/GWS in: Pick 1 + Pick 27 + Pick 38 + 2017 2nd rounder
GWS out/ESS in: Patton + Pick 3 + Pick 15
**GWS get to take McGrath, we go back two spots but end up making 3 selections in the top 20.**

We then go to the draft and can potentially still do:
#3: McCluggage (or if Brisbane take him we look at bidding on Bowes/Setterfield then taking Brodie, not ideal as I'd love McCluggage).
#15: Battle/English/Drew/Scrimshaw.
#20: Simpkin/Clarke/Venables/Scharenberg.
#55: Best available, maybe a mature age ruckman if we choose to delist McKernan.
#73: McDonald-Tipungwuti (upgrade)

I'll make it clear I'd only be prepared to trade Pick 1 if Patton was involved, not interested in two top 10 picks.

Not terrible, for mine though:

Trade 3:
ESS out/GWS in: Pick 1 + Pick 27 + Pick 38 + 2017 2nd rounder
GWS out/ESS in: Patton + Pick 3 + Pick 15
**GWS get to take McGrath, we go back two spots but end up making 3 selections in the top 20.**

I'll make it clear I'd only be prepared to trade Pick 1 if Patton was involved, not interested in two top 10 picks.

Really though, what's the likelihood of GWS trading Patton out? It seems as though all discussion of Patton has cooled since he pretty much said himself that he's not leaving GWS... or have I got that wrong?

Really though, what's the likelihood of GWS trading Patton out? It seems as though all discussion of Patton has cooled since he pretty much said himself that he's not leaving GWS... or have I got that wrong?
I think his exact words were something along the lines of at this point in time he see's himself staying at GWS but if GWS felt it would be best to trade him then he wouldn't necessarily say no, so I don't think he completely shut the door on the idea.

I'm probably reading too much into it but Dodoro sounded pretty cagey when the "good/gun player and a top 10 pick" speculation was brought up on trade radio.

Just for me given how far ahead of the rest McCluggage and McGrath supposedly are, I wouldn't want to give up Pick 1 for anything less than a player who fills a big need (and Patton fills our biggest need) and a top 10 pick. That trade may not happen but if it did it'd be a win-win imo.

I think his exact words were something along the lines of at this point in time he see's himself staying at GWS but if GWS felt it would be best to trade him then he wouldn't necessarily say no, so I don't think he completely shut the door on the idea.

I'm probably reading too much into it but Dodoro sounded pretty cagey when the "good/gun player and a top 10 pick" speculation was brought up on trade radio.

Just for me given how far ahead of the rest McCluggage and McGrath supposedly are, I wouldn't want to give up Pick 1 for anything less than a player who fills a big need (and Patton fills our biggest need) and a top 10 pick. That trade may not happen but if it did it'd be a win-win imo.
Patton and a top 6 pick would be my preference, and that's only given what I've been reading here. There doesn't seem to be much between the first 6 - 7 picks. Patton + Taranto/Brodie would be gold. It doesn't sound as though Ainsworth fills a need for us, given Colyer, Fantasia and Walla.

Berry looks to have tested well at the Combine, and I see people have spoken highly of Drew as well. How do you rate them, WEEVZ, and do either look like sliding to our second round? Also, I know Simpkin has broken his leg. I'm not sure how well players usually come back from an injury like that... the only recent one I recall is Polec, but he was surrounded by talent that gave him a lot of space. Some seem buoyed by his allegiance to the club, but how realistic is a return to form from a broken leg?

Just re-watched the WA vs Vic Metro game. For Metro McGrath played purely half back and had the most disposals on the ground with 24 along with Bunker who was clean and tough in the clearances. Bunker would be a nice option late in the draft he will never be a star but should be a solid midfielder at AFL level. Taranto also had 24 touches and all came from playing pure forward he was sensational his clean hands, tackling and work rate was top notch. Dylan Clarke for all the talk on his inside game showed he had a good outside game aswell getting 23 touches with 15 uncontested. SPS was ok in the midfield he was the best mid for WA but wasn't effective along with Fisher who has good skill but lacks a bit of pace for his size. Duman from Metro was composed on a wing nice size with plenty of development he could be a smokey late in the draft. Galluci was superb at half-back and still kicked 2 goals, his run and dash was good to watch. Rotham was ok down back but was beaten by Taranto. Florent and Scrimshaw never fumbled and used the ball cleanly. Powell-Pepper has some moves and showed a great team game getting others involved. Bolton showed his usual speed and agility although his kicking really worries me he tends to just blaze away by foot and is much cleaner by hand. Venables kicked 2 good goals 1 coming from his only centre apparenace running it out and kicking from 50. English has great skill and footy smarts for his size and Logue had a quiet game playing all over the ground but not overly influential. Will watch Country vs Allies next :)

Patton and a top 6 pick would be my preference, and that's only given what I've been reading here. There doesn't seem to be much between the first 6 - 7 picks. Patton + Taranto/Brodie would be gold. It doesn't sound as though Ainsworth fills a need for us, given Colyer, Fantasia and Walla.

Berry looks to have tested well at the Combine, and I see people have spoken highly of Drew as well. How do you rate them, WEEVZ, and do either look like sliding to our second round? Also, I know Simpkin has broken his leg. I'm not sure how well players usually come back from an injury like that... the only recent one I recall is Polec, but he was surrounded by talent that gave him a lot of space. Some seem buoyed by his allegiance to the club, but how realistic is a return to form from a broken leg?
Agree on both of your first two points there. For mine, while McCluggage/McGrath are the clear front-runners for Pick 1 the gap between those two and the next 4-5 guys isn't that big. My preference would definitely be to turn it into Patton and a top 5-7 pick as you're basically trading one potentially very good player for two with one of them filling a gaping hole in our list.

I haven't seen much this year to be honest to I defer to the likes of don patch sword, etc. for what the draftee's look like (I've been way to busy with my degree and my only knowledge is from other peoples write-ups and occasionally watching the games on YouTube if they got uploaded, didn't even had time to attend a Bombers game this year). No idea about Berry. Drew is definitely a chance to go in 2nd round though first round isn't out of the question either. Simpkin was touted as a top 5 pick before breaking his leg, definitely a chance to slide to us. It's happened a bloke by the name of Nat Fyfe came back from a broken leg and killed it.

This is a good deal for Fremantle - There should be more deals of this type when you flip draft selections - There is no rule that you have to get an actual draft pick ( new ) for a player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not saying it doesn't, just that our two biggest needs are a key forward partner for Daniher (and KPF depth), as well as developing ruckmen. For mine the list of priorities is:
1. Key position forwards
2. Ruckmen
3. Midfielders (inside and outside)

I think a top line midfield can hide a multitude of sins.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Collingwood's approach to their father-son prospects is fascinating... going to nominate them but if they're bid on too early in the draft then they won't match? Going to assume they're trying to imply that they won't pay more than fair value for them. What's the point of a father-son prospect (or an academy prospect) if there's no 'sentimental' incentive to take them? I know they get the discount (not really sentimental) but either they don't care about the sentimental factor or they're trying to discourage other clubs from bidding early and forcing them to take them...

Did you expect them to come out and say, we will take them no matter when they are bid upon??? Please feel free to try and drive up the price!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back