Recruiting EFC Trade/Draft Talk III - 1 McClug, 1 Billings (AND ROSS) for 4th rounder get it done dodoro

Who should we take with pick 1?

• Hugh McCluggage

Votes: 202 59.6%
  • Will Brodie

Votes: 50 14.7%
  • SPS

Votes: 13 3.8%
  • Rhys Mathieson

Votes: 30 8.8%
  • Jack Billings

Votes: 22 6.5%
  • Ben Ainsworth

Votes: 9 2.7%
  • A well pickled ham

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • A bag of mouldy spuds

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • A rancid orange

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • A floury apple

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • An over mushy pear

• A rock hard mandarin

• A braised brussel sprout

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are the lowest 2 picks we could get for trading pick 1?
If we could get 2 of Mccluggage, Brodie, McGrath, Taranto or SPS I'd be stoked. You could even throw English in for a developing big boy for the future...
This would be the biggest win and the only reason I would trade pick 1.
We would have to throw in a something else though. Pick 1 and ? for two picks inside 5.
Only problem is GWS wont have 2 inside 5. We would have to involve another club. Can't see how it could get done.

Saints struck gold in that trade. A gun CHB and Gresham who reminds me of Zerrett.

Not sure why we need to have a Dick measuring contest over it

We got Francis and Hartley indirectly (we wouldn't have drafted him if we kept Carlisle).

This would be the biggest win and the only reason I would trade pick 1.
We would have to throw in a something else though. Pick 1 and ? for two picks inside 5.
Only problem is GWS wont have 2 inside 5. We would have to involve another club. Can't see how it could get done.
Would they have two picks inside 7? Considering Bowes will likely be taken early?

Pattons ability to capitalize kept the Giants in the game

Maybe, to me just a bit lucky couple of times, nothing where his height and bulk were the reason.
Swans have two...

Franklin's more like Daniher, athletic tall capable of playing up the ground. Tippett has more influence as a ruck, overrated and overpaid forward.

McGrath won his team the game, pretty impressive disposal, great balance. Wasn't too impressed with Brodie although I only saw it from just before half time. Taranto looked good, but McGrath looks quality.

So, 1, 19 and 26 into 5,7 & 8 and grab Taranto, scrimshaw with the later picks. best available at 5. Likely to be brodie

Isn't that why they got shaw?
For those trades to work you'd need to add Pick 37 as well otherwise it'd never happen (another big if is GWS getting Pick 5 in the Marchbank trade), I'm also not sure the Suns would trade Pick 8 they've got all the picks they need already to match the academy bids, and they'll get more out of the Prestia and O'Meara deals as well as a player or two. If those deals did go ahead though this is likely what they'd look like:
ESS out/GWS in: Pick 1 + Pick 37
GWS out/ESS in: Pick 5 + Pick 7

ESS out/GCS in: Pick 19 + Pick 26
GCS out/ESS in: Pick 8

Draft:
#5: Whoever's left of McCluggage/McGrath/Brodie/SPS
#7: One of Marshall/English/Taranto/Ainsworth/Drew/Scrimshaw/Venables/Battle
#8: One of Marshall/English/Taranto/Ainsworth/Drew/Scrimshaw/Venables/Battle
#44 (via MEL for Hibberd): Best available? Tiziani?
#73: McDonald-Tipungwuti (rookie upgrade)

As it stands (without further delistings) we have 6 spots available. Less Tipungwuti upgrade, Less Dea, Less PSD selection.
Based on that: Dempsey goes to make way for a 4th selection. Kelly > Kommer. McKernan gets 1 year.

(I made it to fit your selections 4+Tippa upgrade)

Shifter has said that it will only take 1 big game for Marshall to put him back up the order. Just need to look at Melksham to what one big grand final performance can do to your draft stocks.

Melksham had a pretty good season overall to go with his GF performance. It wasn't a one off. The better example for your argument is Nakia cockatoo - been out injured nearly all year came out and starred in one match.

As it stands (without further delistings) we have 6 spots available. Less Tipungwuti upgrade, Less Dea, Less PSD selection.
Based on that: Dempsey goes to make way for a 4th selection. Kelly > Kommer. McKernan gets 1 year.

(I made it to fit your selections 4+Tippa upgrade)
Fair enough there might be a later one you never know. There seems to be conflicting rumours about what's going to happen with Dempsey and McKernan, apparently Dempsey was originally going to be offered another year (which will really bloody annoy me if that happens because he doesn't deserve an extension, for mine he should've been the first one delisted), but the coaches supposedly vetoed that which would mean he gets delisted; and then there were rumours that McKernan was going to get 1 more purely because we lack any ruck depth, but then apparently that's now changed and he's supposedly looking at local clubs.

Wasn't Brodie's best performance today but need to keep in mind he was starring until he had his nose re-arranged, missed 10 minutes of play before returning. Missed a quick snap on goal that wasn't easy and missed two set shots he could have kicked. He's busy in the contest - had 5 contested possessions by quarter time. I think he would compliment our current mids very well and be the perfect replacement for Watson when he retires.

Wasn't Brodie's best performance today but need to keep in mind he was starring until he had his nose re-arranged, missed 10 minutes of play before returning. Missed a quick snap on goal that wasn't easy and missed two set shots he could have kicked. He's busy in the contest - had 5 contested possessions by quarter time. I think he would compliment our current mids very well and be the perfect replacement for Watson when he retires.
With the likes of Drew and Clarke, etc. available later as pure inside mids I don't think Brodie is a "must" as some people seem to think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep or McGrath I'd take 1 of those 3 with any of others mentioned, would go close if we could get picks 3 and 7.
Well, to trade with GWS, means McGrath would be going there. But yeah I agree.
Pick 3 would get us Brodie, or MCluggage. Pick 3 would have to be part of the deal to trade number 1, otherwise it's not worth it imo.

How many get drafted interstate anyway? Plus what if McGrath wants to play with GWS and Scrimshaw wants to play in Victoria, it's a year wasted for all, hypothetically speaking.

Players have rights now or too much power with free agency, the clubs need avenues created to draft the right person to the club to help avoid them leaving.

Don't agree the players have too much power.

With the likes of Drew and Clarke, etc. available later as pure inside mids I don't think Brodie is a "must" as some people seem to think.
There are other quality half backs later in the draft. So McGrath is not a must then.

There are other quality half backs later in the draft. So McGrath is not a must then.
None have had the numbers that McGrath has had though and he plays a lot through the midfield, which nullifies that argument. Reckon it's looking more likely now that we do the deal with GWS with them getting Pick 1 and taking McGrath, whether we get two top 10 picks or a good player and a top 10 pick remains to be seen.

Your trades are well thought out but for mine always too complex. You do not see many trades involving so many moves go through.
I agree i like Patton and he impressed last night. Would think the deal would more likely be Patton and Pick 7 for pick 1 if they are as desperate for pick one as people say and even that deal is unders for GWS.
Yeah I think I get over-enthusiastic with some of them. Definitely simpler to do 1 for Patton & 7 or 1 & 37 for Patton & 7. If we did want Steele and/or Downie we could probably do that deal separately.

For those trades to work you'd need to add Pick 37 as well otherwise it'd never happen (another big if is GWS getting Pick 5 in the Marchbank trade), I'm also not sure the Suns would trade Pick 8 they've got all the picks they need already to match the academy bids, and they'll get more out of the Prestia and O'Meara deals as well as a player or two. If those deals did go ahead though this is likely what they'd look like:
ESS out/GWS in: Pick 1 + Pick 37
GWS out/ESS in: Pick 5 + Pick 7

ESS out/GCS in: Pick 19 + Pick 26
GCS out/ESS in: Pick 8

Draft:
Agree that there would be little point in GCS trading 8.
Ideally they'd get a player for it. I find it hard to place Bowes, but if he isn't bid on by 4, he will be by 8, so its a moot pick for them.
I can see them going Prestia into 6 and 6 into Hartlett and Ah Chee from Port, then jettisoning 8, but they won't need picks.

Perhaps its a swap of 2017 picks, which would influence our other trading.
Get Hibberd to Melbourne via their 2017 2nd. Add ours and trade for pick 8.
Lets assume we have 26, the Dees 27. Thats worth pick 10. 8 is within reason when it comes to bidding.

We go to this draft with either 1, 8, 19 and 37, or 5, 7, 8 & 19 & 37 (our 4th should balance the deal with GWS)

1-McCluggage/McGrath
8-Scrimshaw/Taranto
19-Battle/Kerr/Berry
37-Sproule

or
5-Remainder of Brodie, SPS, McC, McG, Ainsworth (bid on Bowes)
7-Taranto/Scrimshaw
8-Taranto/Scrimshaw/Marshall
19-Battle/Kerr/Berry
37-Sproule

Bloody long but good day at the footy with eth-dog most of the TAC guns had good games with Brodie my standout. McGrath, Taranto, Florent and Lyons all good and Scrimshaw looks a very interesting prospect in the first round. Garthwaite looked solid down back and Sproule looked very good up forward. Dylan James and Ari Sakeson beat their dangerous opponents in Tiziani and Marshall. Some nice performances as well in the VFL. Oliver was exceptional for Casey and Jong a worthy winner of the medal. I'll be going to the Under 18s All Stars game on Friday so should be an awesome contest and get another look at McCluggage before the year is out.

The Draft All Stars game will give us a chance to line all of the prospects up. We will see Brodie versus McLuggage.

From the highlights I have seen, McLuggage kicks goals from difficult angles, has quick and accurate hands under pressure and appears to continually get the pill.

Brodie gets a fair bit of it, but his disposals are more regulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back