EPL Matchday 29

Remove this Banner Ad

Really? He was good but nothing special today. Wasn't asked to do a lot and actually twice gave Everton chances by ball watching. He also had chances at the other end and butchered them.
He was very good defensively but some of his clearances/passes were straight to opposition at times.

And even then he's been found wanting when there is no midfield dropping back. He ball watches and allows players in behind him because the rest of his back line drops and he doesn't as he's too busy ball watching.

I had an epiphany today Bridesmaid.

Maybe you’re right, and everyone else is wrong.

Maybe Van Dijk being the only defender in the history of the Premier League to win 2 PFA player of the month awards in one season was just an administrative error.

Maybe thousands of bookies and punters across England just enjoy throwing away money, and have been seduced by the ponytail to back the Dutch Sotirios Kyrgiakos into favouritism for the PotY award.

Maybe he’s an overrated fraud and our drastically improved defensive record, almost halving the number of goals we were conceding per game starting roughly when he joined the club, had absolutely nothing to do with him.

It’s obvious to me now that the pundits and the posters on this forum who’ve unanimously been pretty impressed with him this season must have been on acid watching our games.

I apologise, I’ve severely underestimated your tactical nous, you have an eye for talent that is second to none.

Last edited:
I had an epiphany today Bridesmaid.

Maybe you’re right, and everyone else is wrong.

Maybe Van Dijk being the only defender in the history of the Premier League to win 2 PFA player of the month awards in one season was just an administrative error.

Maybe thousands of bookies and punters across England just enjoy throwing away money, and have been seduced by the ponytail to back the Dutch Sotirios Kyrgiakos into favouritism for the PotY award.

Maybe he’s an overrated fraud and our drastically improved defensive record, almost halving the number of goals we were conceding per game starting roughly when he joined the club, had absolutely nothing to do with him.

It’s obvious to me now that the pundits and the posters on this forum who’ve unanimously been pretty impressed with him this season must have been on acid watching our games.

I apologise, I’ve severely underestimated your tactical nous, you have an eye for talent that is second to none.
Ah yes, bookies. The be all and end all of picking the best.

Yawn, at least come up with something constructive other than superlatives. They do nothing. Again, like Dangerfield he's overrated but few struggle to see through the hype. Even the guy who scouted him for Celtic said the exact same as what I have said.

If VVD as expected does win the PotY I think I’m right in saying he becomes the first defender to do so. That’s some accolade and fully deserved

If VVD as expected does win the PotY I think I’m right in saying he becomes the first defender to do so. That’s some accolade and fully deserved
Well he wouldn't be... and some accolade.. Neville Southall is the last goalie to win it. Are you telling me he's the greatest goalie of the last 45 years?

Well he wouldn't be... and some accolade.. Neville Southall is the last goalie to win it. Are you telling me he's the greatest goalie of the last 45 years?
During the 80’s he was one of the best keepers in the world for sure. Wasn’t aware he won it in the PL era though. I thought Schmeichel won it at least once...

Just Checked the list, Schmeichel the only keeper to have won the award and only three times have defenders won it - Vidic twice and Kompany. Fair enough with kompany but Vidic? Surprised by that. Good player but not a PotY for mine

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ah yes, bookies. The be all and end all of picking the best.

Yawn, at least come up with something constructive other than superlatives. They do nothing. Again, like Dangerfield he's overrated but few struggle to see through the hype. Even the guy who scouted him for Celtic said the exact same as what I have said.
They also have another thing in common.
Both VVD and Paddy would be your teams best player.

Just Checked the list, Schmeichel the only keeper to have won the award and only three times have defenders won it - Vidic twice and Kompany. Fair enough with kompany but Vidic? Surprised by that. Good player but not a PotY for mine
Hahaha

Depends which poty award you are talking about as I usually refer to the FWA one.
Was talking about PFA, but don't think much of the opinions of the ones who vote for the FWA either.

POTY has been worthless since Giggs won it imo.

Just a popularity contest, clubs start campaigning before Christmas.
It was only that one year when you can say that. It’s been just as worthy or worthless whichever way you look at it since.

There’s better defenders than Vidic who have never won it let alone won it twice. Probably a really nice guy that other players voted for
You can't have it both ways you know. You can either accept it for what it is and if VVD wins, that's good for you. But you can't then go and say s**t players won it and use it as a beacon to hold VVD up as the greatest to have played the game..

You can't have it both ways you know. You can either accept it for what it is and if VVD wins, that's good for you. But you can't then go and say s**t players won it and use it as a beacon to hold VVD up as the greatest to have played the game..
True enough, but VVD is universally accepted as being the best player in the league this year - accept for some bloke sitting in a mud hut in Alice Springs. Who else would even be a contender?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back