Essendon's competitiveness in 2016

How many wins for the Bombers in 2016

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Realistically I can't see us winning a game and there will be some fearsome beltings.
Just looking forward to seeing some kids have a real dip and for the side to show some spirit and fight. Who knows we may even unearth a gem or two. Parish excites me a fair bit and I'm hoping Fantasia, Laverde, Langford etc kick on

You peasants have got it all wrong

A time machine will be created at the Tullamarine, with the sole mission of bringing back some of the bombers greatest stars of yesteryear

We will first start with Mr. Kepler Bradley in the ruck, putting it deeper down the throat than Rolf Harris

Secondly we'll look to resurrect the lord known as Dean Rioli, who will attempt to snag more sausage rolls than he's eaten. Short odds suggest he will be unsusccesful in said attempt.

We'll also get the technical nous of Matthew knights back to the club in a coaching capacity
**** it, he'll play on ball

Top 4 is imminent.

Realistically I can't see us winning a game and there will be some fearsome beltings.
Just looking forward to seeing some kids have a real dip and for the side to show some spirit and fight. Who knows we may even unearth a gem or two. Parish excites me a fair bit and I'm hoping Fantasia, Laverde, Langford etc kick on
Great post, and from a supporter. Regardless of the talent that will be missing, modern footy is built on 'buy in' from the squad which requires players to be selfless for one another. Apart from the lack of time new players now have to learn the playing system, there is absolutely no way they will be mentally committed as any player at any other club and that is going to mean some severe beatings unfortunately. The ONLY positive is that the club have no choice but to expose all their youngsters and that basically means that any of them that have afl level talent are ready to go next year instead of 2-3 years time.

How do we all see them performing in 2016. I've seen quite a few people thinking they're in with a chance at beating Carlton or maybe Brisbane.

I think losing 12 players will be far too much for them. Their best players going into the year would be Goddard, Zaharakis, Daniher, Leuenberger, McKernan.

I can't see them winning any games but they might have a few competitive ones against weaker teams in the wet.

What do we all think? Can they snag a few and avoid the spoon?

Good Question.

I am against the trend here. I do not think they will go winless. They will beat the blues and maybe pinch a win or two against the saints, Dee's and Lions. There one silver lining is that they will have 12 players that will play out of there skins....they have the smell of the team from the replacements movies.

Yep gotta wonder who is gonna stop Roughead and Gunston with no Hurley or Hooker to do the job, same with Franklin and Tippett, Hawkins, Cloke, Nick Riewoldt, heck Jesse Hogan even. Could be quite a few 10 goal hauls this season against their undermanned defenses.
image.png

The fixtures should be rewritten, or just ban the club for a year. They will be worse than both expansion clubs when they entered, having a final influence on the ladder. The tigers and cats (looking for top 4/8 spots respectively) now get 2 guaranteed wins and a healthy percentage boost to fight for these spots. The bottom 5 from last year should be fixtured to play them twice

This is probably where it’s at atm, best case:

B Baguley – Brown - Gwilt
HB Gleeson – Hartley - Francis
C Parish – Z Merrett - Zaharakis
HF Goddard – McKernan - Langford
F Fantasia – Daniher - Edwards
R Leuenberger – Bird - Laverde
I Cooney – Dempsey – Redman – J Merrett

Add to that rumoured top-ups, looking like players like Sam Dwyer, Mathew Stokes, James Kelly, Mark Jamar, Kyle Martin etc…

It’ll be very ugly particularly toward the end of the season, but I think we’ll jag 1 or 2 wins at some point.

Probably will upset somebody, even when we where terrible along with the expansion clubs in their early years will still managed to get knock of somebody. i'd say 1 to 2 wins. i'll probably bet on them against us in round 2, the favourite in that game always looses (except in 2013, i'd best point it out before a bombers supporter does!)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably will upset somebody, even when we where terrible along with the expansion clubs in their early years will still managed to get knock of somebody. i'd say 1 to 2 wins. i'll probably bet on them against us in round 2, the favourite in that game always looses (except in 2013, i'd best point it out before a bombers supporter does!)

Ironically, in 2012 one of them was Essendon. :cool:

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=5429

According to that site, you guys were $12 heading into the match and Essendon were $1.04.

I imagine Essendon will get similar odds all throughout 2016 - they won't win many games, sure, but there is always a chance to snatch one or two surprise wins.

The first side to lose to them will cop some serious flak, it will happen.

However, it will be a very long season for Mr Goddard and the like, don't envy their role in this.

I predict some heated discussions about how unfair it will be that certain teams get to play them twice.

The reason for my confidence in them as above is this.

If you are a student of history, you would know that Essendon hasn't finished last since 1933. 82 years have passed since then. We've had bad years and bad periods, but, the successes have quickly followed the poor times.

This situation presents Worsfold and the club a great opportunity to re-generate the club in so many ways. Any short term pain will be worth it. The thing is, we cannot and never shall be ever underestimated.

They'll win a few. Initially I thought they would be akin to GWS and GC in their first seasons, but Essendon will likely bring in some hard bodied experience and will win a few games. Not many, but wouldn't surprise me to see them win three or four.

I'm affraid Essendon will be stuck on the bottom of the ladder for years espically if none of the banned players return FML.

All of this for trying to get an edge and compete with the Hawthorn's, Geelong's of the competition. Why James Hird was lauded for so long is bewildering...................

This will take decades to fix, if they can fix it at all. Good way to flush football history down the proverbial toilet.

Would be nice if people stopped telling me they will be like GC or GWS first year. I'm getting nervous sweats.
Tell me about it. They will probably bring in Karmichael Hunt against us just for the lols.

Back