Remove this Banner Ad

many pundits have come out and had a go at Alli just as much as anyone for a disgusting tackle

it's the first red card of his career, if it does become a regular thing then you'd hope they're just as hard on him as they are on regular foreign hacks like Xhaka who have multiple red cards a season
Xhaka has only had 3 career straight red cards, and one of those was the absolute bullshit one given against Swansea this season. All others have been for second yellows rather than terrible tackles.

Xhaka has only had 3 career straight red cards, and one of those was the absolute bullshit one given against Swansea this season. All others have been for second yellows rather than terrible tackles.
It doesn't make him any less reckless and indisciplined though. 9 red cards in 3 years deserves the reputation he has imo

It doesn't make him any less reckless and indisciplined though. 9 red cards in 3 years deserves the reputation he has imo
Yeah I don't disagree with that, but when you say things like "Xhaka has 9 red cards in 3 years" in the context of Alli's tackle today, the assumption is that he has had 9 straight reds for dangerous tackles.

Instead of blaming your poor European record on "not trying" perhaps you guys just aren't good enough in Europe. You never
seem to accept that when you invariably get knocked out in Europe. This time round you can hardly blame not having a full strength team either.
Don't disagree with the general gist of this, but I think Bojan has it right when he says we're naive. We try to play in the same way regardless of who we are playing and their strengths. Pochettino seems to have an unwavering faith in his own methods, rather than doing too much to adapt to the way the opposition is playing. We always want to keep the ball and try to press high, even when we're playing away in Europe and usually it's to our detriment.

Last year was an exception though. We were clearly focusing on the league as a priority given we played a 2 man midfield of Mason and Carroll away at Dortmund.

Sort of looks like he had a fresh airy trying to kick the ball.
I tried to convince myself of this when I first saw it (and that the ref was a campaigner :p) but the more I saw it the worse I thought it was. He was probably fouled just prior to the tackle, but it wasn't given (ie the ref was a campaigner) and that was a clear retaliation and an act born of frustration. I'm not trying to excuse it, if anything it made it worse as he clearly knew what he was doing. It was completely unacceptable and I'm sure he would have been held to account in the dressing room by both his team mates and the manager.

I think some of the criticism of him has been a little harsh. As it's already been pointed out, it's the first time he's been sent off in his career. In saying that though, honestly it's hard to argue that he's, if not dirty, then a little nasty. This, his punch to Yacob, his kick of the Fiorentina player last season. He's a competitive animal, and that's what makes him so good, but he absolutely lets it get to him and he crosses the line on occasion. His tendency to dive is overstated though imo.

Interestingly enough, he's had that type of attitude since he made his debut as a 16 year old for MK Dons. When talking about Dele's rise last season, his former manager, Karl Robinson, said that they had a little hand signal between each other and he knew that if Dele made it then he was in control, but if he didn't then he knew he had to pull him aside and have a word with him. Apparently even as a 16 year old, he would get targeted for hard tackling by the seasoned pros in League 1 and occasionally he would let it get to him and lash out. I even read a story that he shaped up to a 30+ year old in the tunnel when he was 17 after they were trying to verbally intimidate him.

I'm not sure if it's as a result of his adoptive upbringing in the supposed rough and tumble of Milton Keynes, those experiences in League 1 or just his natural attitude. He's arrogant and brash, there's no doubt about, and that's why we all love him, and he's still so ******* young, but that does come with a dose of nastiness that needs to be tempered as he matures.

Here's one: ;)

But anyway I do agree that the selection was odd. Spurs have a strong enough squad to challenge on dual fronts. The selection for Dortmund last year was absolutely bizarre, so deep in the competition with a genuine chance of a major European trophy.

I for one think the Europa league gets a bad rap. Obviously not as prestigious as the CL, but still some major silverware up for grabs. I'd actually prefer Arsenal to get bundled out at the group stage and then have a run at the Europa, rather than continuing to be trounced at the round of 16.
Offensively I don't think we do have the depth to tackle two or even three competitions.
CM and defence I'd say we do but not offensively and that's generally where we rest players to our detriment.

Today was different, merely we left ourselves no margin for error by not getting an away goal and losing. A step too far for this young squad that clearly need to mature a bit more, combined with a sprinkling of more quality in the squad.

Offensively I don't think we do have the depth to tackle two or even three competitions.
CM and defence I'd say we do but not offensively and that's generally where we rest players to our detriment.

Today was different, merely we left ourselves no margin for error by not getting an away goal and losing. A step too far for this young squad that clearly need to mature a bit more, combined with a sprinkling of more quality in the squad.
most of your players don't have european experience. not a depth issue. just naive. Alli would have been sent off in any competition but there are tackles in the prem that are merely free kicks which are considered yellows or straight reds in europe. You'll be fine in a few years if you can keep this core together.

most of your players don't have european experience. not a depth issue. just naive. Alli would have been sent off in any competition but there are tackles in the prem that are merely free kicks which are considered yellows or straight reds in europe. You'll be fine in a few years if you can keep this core together.
Nothing wrong with Alli, Eriksen, Lamela (when they find where he's gone mia), Kane, Son. The problem lies with Sissoko (I don't think they know htf to use him), GKN and Janssen, Janssen needs a loan badly. We may be bottom half next season at Wembley. Welp. The problem lies with constantly changing system from game to game. One injury to a member of the starting defence and whammo back to 4231 which seemelingly now only works against an ever dwindling set of specific opponents.

Depth is certainly an issue, naivety would be too and not just the players, the manager is naive as well. Like having faith in Mason/Carroll to stop Dortmund at SIP o_O
Like far too often dropping too many players in the 3 cup comps. * top 4, I want a bloody trophy. Surprise surprise we're a good shout for a semi final in the one time he takes it seriously and doesn't make it harder for ourselves which he has done in most EL knockout stages.

There are clubs in England that could make 9-10 outfield changes and still win in Europe, we imo can manage 1-2 from each of the 3 areas of the team (def/mid/att). There's the difference. We had a +5 GD in the season Dier/Verts were the defence +35 from memory last season when he was the DM and Alder was the CB, he's lost his place and neither he nor Wimmer seem "there yet". Davies can't play as a LWB so is not great in a 3 at the back system. Often plays two DM's when they're not needed or would be better with just the one.

So yes club and manager are naive, we're also not in a position where the depth is good enough yet and it shows in multiple competitions each season, like, I'd back our best 13-14 players to win us the title but we drop points whenever more than 1 of them are injured for sustained periods (Kane/Lamela/Alderweireld) then (Lamela/Vertonghen/Rose) just this season so far. You need players that can step up when this happens but we don't have that atm

Instead of blaming your poor European record on "not trying" perhaps you guys just aren't good enough in Europe. You never
seem to accept that when you invariably get knocked out in Europe. This time round you can hardly blame not having a full strength team either.
Don't often agree with you :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Come at me bro
102511171-dontPoke-the-bear.jpg

Probably a blessing in disguise don't you think. Liverpool fans in particular should have been hoping we stayed in the comp longer

Probably a blessing in disguise don't you think. Liverpool fans in particular should have been hoping we stayed in the comp longer

Not really. If you go on a run it runs off on your league form. We had good results in the league even with first teamers rested for upcoming EL ties. Gives confidence too.

The truth is we are still too light. Poch invested poorly in the summer (50m squid on big ears and Sissiko ffs). Got cover in some areas but it's not enough to get by to challenge on multiple fronts.

We've got ******* Harry Kane up front and that's it. Ridiculous really. Even when we were gash we had the likes of Keane, Defoe, Postiga (dreadful but wasn't to know that) and Zamora to chose from.

We've been s**t in Europe this season and i can't really put my finger on it. Lost to teams we really shouldn't have

Not really. If you go on a run it runs off on your league form. We had good results in the league even with first teamers rested for upcoming EL ties. Gives confidence too.
Not when you've got a light squad.

Don't get me wrong I'd rather we went through. In fact I'd rather we had concentrated on winning it than trying to finish top four (seeing as it qualifies for CL anyway). I just think going out is a small silver lining really, but I'm not excusing our shitness in Europe this season

Yeah I don't disagree with that, but when you say things like "Xhaka has 9 red cards in 3 years" in the context of Alli's tackle today, the assumption is that he has had 9 straight reds for dangerous tackles.
No.

Nine red cards in 3 seasons is just indisciplined. Alli isn't at that level (yet) and shouldn't be judged that way either.

At this age has less red cards than ones of England's greatest CMs (and Alli's idol) Stevie G.

PP was just looking for cheap digs. And I get that. But to call Alli a thug after his first eve red card is ridiculous

Full Draw:

Celta Vigo (Spa) v FC Krasnodar (Rus)

Apoel Nicosia (Cyp) v Anderlecht (Bel)

Schalke (Ger) v Borussia Monchengladbach (Ger)

Lyon (Fra) v Roma (Ita)

FC Rostov (Rus) v Manchester United (Eng)

Olympiakos (Gre) v Besiktas (Tur)

Gent (Bel) v Genk (Bel)

FC Copenhagen (Den) v Ajax (Net)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back