Eye Rolling Movie Tropes

Remove this Banner Ad

Actually, that whole Ace Rimmer scene manages to hit a dozen or so tropes throughout.
1. Evil Nazi is also fat.
2. Bad guy can't shoot straight.
3. Bad guy leaves hero facing certain death - but crucially he leaves before hero is actually dead.
3. Hero complains about some minor irritant while facing certain death.
4. Cool line after killing (1st) villain.
5. Arrives to save heroine just in time (facing firing squad).
6. Bad guys still can't shoot straight (with rifles). Hero kills at least 6 bad guys with 4 shots (using tiny pistol).
7. Hero is more offended when his stylish outfit is slightly damaged, rather than the fact that bad guys are trying to kill him.
8. While hero is trapped inside wooden barn, bad guys fire dozens of bullets into it. All miss.
9. Hero finds means of escape inside barn - fully fuelled, with keys, and he knows how to drive it - far better than bad guys, whose machine it is and are preumably trained in how to use it.
10. Hero shoots off locks on chains while travelling on motorbike at speed - heroine thinks she is going to be shot, shuts eyes in horror, but is miraculously unharmed.
11. Hero pauses in middle of gunfight to exchange witty, flirty lines ('Lets have sex') with heroine, who smiles coyly in return. Bad guys keep missing.
12. The only thing worse than bad guys' shooting accuracy is their driving skill, leading to inevitable crash in hero's wake. (Crash involves fiery explosion).
13. Cool line by hero as he completes his escape (while leaving behind a last surprise that kills a couple more bad guys).

Still not as bad as James Bond, though.

Literally my favourite line of any RD episode: ‘there’ll be time for explanations later… and hopefully some sex.’

Actually, that whole Ace Rimmer scene manages to hit a dozen or so tropes throughout.
1. Evil Nazi is also fat.
2. Bad guy can't shoot straight.
3. Bad guy leaves hero facing certain death - but crucially he leaves before hero is actually dead.
3. Hero complains about some minor irritant while facing certain death.
4. Cool line after killing (1st) villain.
5. Arrives to save heroine just in time (facing firing squad).
6. Bad guys still can't shoot straight (with rifles). Hero kills at least 6 bad guys with 4 shots (using tiny pistol).
7. Hero is more offended when his stylish outfit is slightly damaged, rather than the fact that bad guys are trying to kill him.
8. While hero is trapped inside wooden barn, bad guys fire dozens of bullets into it. All miss.
9. Hero finds means of escape inside barn - fully fuelled, with keys, and he knows how to drive it - far better than bad guys, whose machine it is and are preumably trained in how to use it.
10. Hero shoots off locks on chains while travelling on motorbike at speed - heroine thinks she is going to be shot, shuts eyes in horror, but is miraculously unharmed.
11. Hero pauses in middle of gunfight to exchange witty, flirty lines ('Lets have sex') with heroine, who smiles coyly in return. Bad guys keep missing.
12. The only thing worse than bad guys' shooting accuracy is their driving skill, leading to inevitable crash in hero's wake. (Crash involves fiery explosion).
13. Cool line by hero as he completes his escape (while leaving behind a last surprise that kills a couple more bad guys).

Still not as bad as James Bond, though.

If I wasn't LF, I'd be Ace Rimmer.

What a guy!

Whether she's the main protagonist or co-star the female in most adventure or disaster type movies, irrespective of what she started out wearing, nearly almost ends up scantily clad, in a sometimes torn and often wet singlet/tank top...?

Last edited:
Whether she's the main protagonist or co-star the female in most adventure or disaster type movies, irrespective of what she started out wearing, nearly almost ends up scantily clad, in a sometimes torn and often wet singlet/tank top...?
That's often because she has had to tear off a strip of her expensive evening gown to bandage the hero's minor wound.

Women running upstairs for safety when they think someone is about to break in to the house?

Cop shows or movies - when the detective or cop finally solve/ figure out who the criminal is and know the criminals location and might be with someone who might be their next victim and the cop is a on the side of town and race to save victim..why don’t they call it in and closest patrol car can go save the next victim.

Perhaps not eye rolling, but the frequent oversight in some movies when the protagonist/s, usually at a street stall, buys an ice-cream/flowers/hotdog or a newspaper yet there is no apparent exchange of money - also happens a lot in bar scenes where someone walks into a bar, orders a beer, has two sips, gets a phone call and then just leaves..?

Interestingly the reality is, specifically for street stalls in the US, the usual protocol is a simultaneous exchange of product and payment as the vendor has little recourse if the buyer does a runner and if you're not a regular, you're usually asked to prepay upon order - ordering drinks or food at bars or restaurants (controlled spaces with CCTV and/or security staff) not so much...

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Netflix have a show called Hollywood Great Cliches which I expect will cover a lot of this ground

I directed that. Here's some more:

Characters not reacting with the sufficient pain reaction to injury relationship ie. being shanked in the back and just falling over front first. Also walking on legs with a gunshot wound

Characters blatantly acting as a proxy for the audience

Best part of that is how Sidney runs up the stairs about 5 minutes later. Such a great movie, keen for the new one.

Somebody has probably said this one, but characters who hang up phones without saying a goodbye to the person on the other end.

Characters not reacting with the sufficient pain reaction to injury relationship ie. being shanked in the back and just falling over front first. Also walking on legs with a gunshot wound

FB_IMG_1638217865458.jpg

Best part of that is how Sidney runs up the stairs about 5 minutes later. Such a great movie, keen for the new one.

Somebody has probably said this one, but characters who hang up phones without saying a goodbye to the person on the other end.
Only have to wait a month now

I directed that. Here's some more:

Characters blatantly acting as a proxy for the audience

This is one of the many issues I had with Prometheus where she had an emergency c-section stapled together and then was able to run, jump, climb, crawl.

It's just inconvenient for the story, so it's forgotten.

A good example of more realistic handling is in the fight scenes from Nobody.

This is one of the many issues I had with Prometheus where she had an emergency c-section stapled together and then was able to run, jump, climb, crawl.

It's just inconvenient for the story, so it's forgotten.

A good example of more realistic handling is in the fight scenes from Nobody.

I hear you on the emergency c sec. I tend to give sci fi movies set in the future the benefit of the doubt. Like maybe there was some sort of pain killer administered at same time

I hear you on the emergency c sec. I tend to give sci fi movies set in the future the benefit of the doubt. Like maybe there was some sort of pain killer administered at same time
The pain I can believe, but that cut went right through her abdominal muscles. If anyone has had their appendix out where they pull the fibers apart over maybe two inches... it's way worse than that and I bet those people couldn't sit up in bed by themselves.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back