F1 back to the US of A

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 16, 2007
Showers Stand
AFL Club
Essendon
Old news now it seems, but it was only a matter of time anyway.
The United States Grand Prix will return to the Formula One calendar in 2012 at a purpose built facility in Austin, Texas, Bernie Ecclestone has announced.The selection of Texas comes after recent speculation of a race in New York failed to materialise.
http://www.speedcafe.com.au/2010/05/26/us-grand-prix-confirmed-for-2012/

The only real question that remains, I guess, is why Austin? Apart from the obvious (cashola) it doesn't seem to have many redeeming features as opposed to Long Beach, Vegas or New York.

Indy, Detroit, Las Vegas, Long Beach and Watkins Glen all makes sense (and all failed, one way or another). This really doesn't

I'd assume because they're receptive to a purpose built facility - rather than manufacturing a race on some shitty Nascar circuit.

Bugger Seppang and Bahrain... lets hope it is more Turkey than anything else he's designed.

One of my favourite circuits on the calendar.

Bugger Seppang and Bahrain... lets hope it is more Turkey than anything else he's designed.

One of my favourite circuits on the calendar.

Turkey's your favourite?

I can't look past Sepang when debating Tilke circuits. I mean, Turkey has it's upsides, turn 8 is an absolute corker - but the rest of it is pretty boring IMO - with a lack of passing opportunities, except into 12 (I think).

That's why I like Sepang - there's lots of opportunity to pass there (comparitively), compared to any other circuit he's designed IMO.

What's everyones worst Tilkedrome?

Personally I can't stand that abomination in Valencia. Yuk. :thumbsdown:

Turkey's your favourite?

I can't look past Sepang when debating Tilke circuits. I mean, Turkey has it's upsides, turn 8 is an absolute corker - but the rest of it is pretty boring IMO - with a lack of passing opportunities, except into 12 (I think).

That's why I like Sepang - there's lots of opportunity to pass there (comparitively), compared to any other circuit he's designed IMO.

What's everyones worst Tilkedrome?

Personally I can't stand that abomination in Valencia. Yuk. :thumbsdown:

Bahrain by the length of the Catalunya straight.

- the racing is invariably a snoozefest
- three men and a dog turn up
- it was brought in at the expense of proper circuits (in this case I think it was Austria) in Europe.

I hate it.

Istanbul & Abu Dhabi the best Tilkes, lets hope the track if designed by him is like them. My preference of the tilke tracks is as follows;

1) Abu Dhabi
2) Istanbul
3) Sepang
4) Shanghai
5) Bahrain (zzzzz)
6) Hockenheim (lazy effort)

Does anyone know if it was tilke who designed the new part of Silverstone?

Istanbul & Abu Dhabi the best Tilkes, lets hope the track if designed by him is like them. My preference of the tilke tracks is as follows;

1) Abu Dhabi
2) Istanbul
3) Sepang
4) Shanghai
5) Bahrain (zzzzz)
6) Hockenheim (lazy effort)

Does anyone know if it was tilke who designed the new part of Silverstone?

The old Hockenheim was awesome, those looong straights where the cars would rev their heads off, then that challenging infield section.
New one is a mite boring.
Valencia, Bahrain and Abu Dhabi are crap.

Bring back Imola, Austria, Zandvoort.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back