Preview Faceoff: Round 6 vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

I know my view will be going against the grain of many but I am really optimistic about our chances tommorrow night.

Here's five things that I hope to see....

1. Picken heavy tag on Pendlebury.

2. Boyd to go head to head with Swan. Nothing aganist Swan but people are raving about his game last week. The fact is Collingwood scraped over the line, generally when a midfielder picks up over 45 possessions if it damaging enough the team ends up winning by well over six goals.

3. O'Brien being manned up from the outset. I'd give the defensive forward task to Higgins. Out of form so play a role.

4. Maxwell with an opponent every time there is an aerial contest. More than likely he will pick up Grant. Be smart about it. Dont allow him to go third man up. make life easier for Jones.

5. If Roughead plays throw him down back on Dawes. Allows lake on Cloke, best back on best forward.

How Id love to see them line up:

B. Addison (Sidebottom), Lake (Cloke), Veszpremi(Fasolo)

HB. Hargrave (Goldsack), Roughead (Dawes), Murphy (Sinclair)

C. Griffen (Toovey), Boyd (Swan), Cross (Johnson)

HF. Higgins (O'Brien), Jones (Reid), Grant (Maxwell)

F. Cooney (Shaw), Cordy (Brown), Dahlhaus (Clarke)

FOLL. Minson (Jolly), Picken (Pendlebury), Liberatore (Wellingham)

INT. Giansiracusa SUB, Djerrkura, Sherman, Wallis

INT. Ugle (SUB), Beams, Blair, Buckley

E. Hill, Dickson, Wood

Result - Dogs by 21 points.

1. Picken heavy tag on Pendlebury.

2. Boyd to go head to head with Swan. Nothing aganist Swan but people are raving about his game last week. The fact is Collingwood scraped over the line, generally when a midfielder picks up over 45 possessions if it damaging enough the team ends up winning by well over six goals.

3. O'Brien being manned up from the outset. I'd give the defensive forward task to Higgins. Out of form so play a role.

4. Maxwell with an opponent every time there is an aerial contest. More than likely he will pick up Grant. Be smart about it. Dont allow him to go third man up. make life easier for Jones.

5. If Roughead plays throw him down back on Dawes. Allows lake on Cloke, best back on best forward.

Agree with the points 1, 3 and 4 and in part with point 2. I know its a little different but your point is invalid when you look at Ablett. Swan did have those numbers and was very good, however there are too many other factors to say they should have won by 6 goals as a result of this. Having said that, I think that it would be a scary thought for Pendlebury to churn out those numbers, as he tends to be even more damaging than Swan who in his own right can cause massive headaches.

I don't think playing Roughead down back is an answer. I would be happy to see him down there some weeks as a trial against weaker opposition, but I particularly feel that against Collingwood he doesn't have the speed to keep up with not only Dawes but also their blokes running past. Granted he was ok on Mitch Clarke, but I don't want that to be a regular thing. I think it has to be Austin, or Markovic straight in if he's fit.

I really hope Marko is back in this week. We'll need him I reckon. Lake wouldn't be a good match up for Cloke. He goes too far up the ground, so Lake would either be less effective, or let him go. Cloke can kick it from 60m out, so that could be dangerous.

Guys, here is the weekly match preview i write for the collingwood website.

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/newsfeatures/news/newsarticle/tabid/5586/newsid/134723/default.aspx

I know it means venturing into enemy territory, but mods feel free to post the whole article in its entirety here. I don't want to be accused of spamming, but I don't have access to the site at work and i am doing this via my mobile.

Look forward to the game.

Good well balanced write up, thanks Dave.

AFL Round 6 Collingwood vs Western Bulldogs
Friday 4 May 2012 - Etihad Stadium, 7:50pm

Collingwood:

B: Harry O'Brien, Ben Reid, Nathan Brown
HB: Simon Buckley, Nick Maxwell, Tyson Goldsack
C: Dane Swan, Sharrod Wellingham, Ben Johnson
HF: Heath Shaw, Chris Dawes, Ben Sinclair
F: Dayne Beams, Travis Cloke, Alex Fasolo
Foll: Darren Jolly, Scott Pendlebury, Steele Sidebottom
I/C: Alan Toovey, Marty Clarke, Lachlan Keeffe, Kirk Ugle
Emerg: Cameron Wood, Paul Seedsman, Jackson Paine

In: Heath Shaw, Ben Reid
Out: Jarryd Blair (leg), Paul Seedsman

Western Bulldogs:

B: Easton Wood, Brian Lake, Dylan Addison
HB: Ryan Hargrave, Mark Austin, Robert Murphy
C: Luke Dahlhaus, Matthew Boyd, Daniel Cross
HF: Adam Cooney, Liam Jones, Patrick Veszpremi
F: Justin Sherman, Jordan Roughead, Nathan Djerrkura
Foll: Will Minson, Ryan Griffen, Liam Picken
I/C: Daniel Giansiracusa, Shaun Higgins, Mitchell Wallis, Tom Liberatore
Emerg: Clay Smith, Michael Talia, Tory Dickson

IN: Daniel Giansiracusa, Ryan Hargrave
OUT: Jarrad Grant (Hip), Ayce Cordy (Back)

The pies must be worried, they have brought in some big guns......:D

we have lost some forward height, not happy the Cords is out, but team might be a fraction better balanced. Would have liked to see Hill get his chance, but at the same time, selectors are giving some guys every chance so it's hard to be too critical.

DJ to Shaw do we think? Would love to see Coons deep on O'Brien.

please please Gia late out and paying a 20k fine to have Hill in to support Jones and provide some forward structure now that the other marking target Cordy is out.

Will hate to see us play O'brien and Maxwell in to form when they are going 3rd and 4th man up on jones.

please please Gia late out and paying a 20k fine to have Hill in to support Jones and provide some forward structure now that the other marking target Cordy is out.

Will hate to see us play O'brien and Maxwell in to form when they are going 3rd and 4th man up on jones.

I would actually not want Hill to come in and play after a five day break, and I really doubt the club would play a young kpp twice in five days either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood have 3 tall defenders in, for only 2 of our tall forwards. Keeffe might help Jolly out in the ruck I suppose.
With Maxwell too, they have a damn tall backline, for our very short forward line.

Collingwood have 3 tall defenders in, for only 2 of our tall forwards. Keeffe might help Jolly out in the ruck I suppose.
With Maxwell too, they have a damn tall backline, for our very short forward line.

Don't be surprised if we move Ben Reid or Nathan Brown forward for a short while, We believe Keeffe is solid down back with his good form at the moment and don't want to change his role, thus Ben Reid may play forward (Which is what we recruited him as)

If Hill is as promising as he sounds it could all have gone terribly wrong if he had been picked against Collingwood. Same for Cordy. They would be bashed senseless by the Collingwood defenders and that wouldn’t be good for them. Roughy is more likely to think his way through it and cope with it during and after the game. He (Roughy) looks to have some pretty good grey matter. Both he and Jones are on a hiding to nothing though and are going to be sore on Saturday, so sore in fact, they might both get a rest next week. Minson might have to give them a hand at times up front tomorrow.

Surely not rested again? He was rested in one of the first two rounds. Why do they do this just as the player is gaining some momentum? They did it to Panos and he has only been so-so since.

Must be part of a long term plan that is too ingenious for us mere mortals to figure out.

Hill isn't named as an emergency for our game either, so possibly an injury?
Or he might just be cycled through the team just like a couple of weeks ago where Panos missed without being injured.

From Facebook it was said that Tom Hill tore a muscle in the leg he broke last year. Not sure if there is any truth to that.
Gotta take Facebook stuff with a grain of salt. Have you seen some of the people on the Bulldogs page? Not fun at all.

If Hill is as promising as he sounds it could all have gone terribly wrong if he had been picked against Collingwood. Same for Cordy. They would be bashed senseless by the Collingwood defenders and that wouldn’t be good for them. Roughy is more likely to think his way through it and cope with it during and after the game. He (Roughy) looks to have some pretty good grey matter. Both he and Jones are on a hiding to nothing though and are going to be sore on Saturday, so sore in fact, they might both get a rest next week. Minson might have to give them a hand at times up front tomorrow.

Minson has spent some time forward, but less than I expected, atleast it seems so. He is doing pretty well in the ruck, going under the radar a bit I reckon to. But I would like to see him spend a bot more time forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back