Coach Fages and the coaching group

Remove this Banner Ad

Need a more Strategic minded coach. Fagan rattling off how good or bad we are for each stat in the presser every time we lose is a recurring pattern.
For tonight, in the first few minutes:

"we had enough entries to win the game"
"shots at goal equal"
"played better than we have all year"

The team is way too talented yet it seems like the whole gameplan is bomb it long to the forward line. Sure if the build up is slow, bomb it and play it safe as we'll have the defence set up to contain the rebound but so many times in transition they did the exact same thing and if the ball hits the deck, we get carved up on the rebound.
Being at the game, i can only recall one or two moments where the ball carrier lowered his eyes in the F50 and hit up Daniher + McCarthy on the chest in the 2nd half. I am convinced our forward structure is based on individual brilliance and when they aren't taking great marks we become awful to watch.

We’ve achieved nothing and this season is going down the toilet and you think the status quo is turning this around to a flag?

Some serious spoiled brat attitude

He was a part of taking us from wooden spoon basket case to a kick away from premiers. You don’t do that with a lousy coaching panel

Fages is more of an welfare coach ala hawks.

He is a good man but that is the trouble. He is a good man who couldnt drop his faves. Ala gunston last year.

He looks perplexed in the coaches box at times i hate to say. He never has a go at the blatant robbery that we get.nit against geelong a few yrs ago against biclavs that cost us.

Imagine that had been the other way around in the gf when cwd got 'advantage' called with 60s to go.not a peep.

He is NOT a tactician and nothing changes.

Imo bring in a sydney or geelong assistant to teach sydney or geelong patterns of play and employ a tactician.

Fagan is a director of welfare - supervisor imo.

What i wdnt giv for chris scott to come back home to giv us a hard edge

Bar some overly emotional comments, I don’t think any of the people who want us to move on from Fagan (myself included) are opposed to the job he’s done taking us from a basket case to a place where players want to be.

BUT, we recognise that now that we have established the talent and a positive atmosphere and Fagan has had a shot at doing what he can - it’s time to transform to the next level by bringing in a new face who will focus on the tactics and reward performance to get us to the flag.

It’s no surprise that some of our fringe players look to struggle when we’ve stuck with winning games off the back of our top 20 talents each week. Not exposing these guys more, or having a clearly defined game plan, means that when they come in we lack cohesion. That’s what we need to build and have needed to build for a couple of years

Tactically I said for ages we need a better assistant
Although we have some game killer players who fumble marks/ball and miss tackles although never dropped for it.

Some serious spoiled brat attitude

He was a part of taking us from wooden spoon basket case to a kick away from premiers. You don’t do that with a lousy coaching panel

Whilst that is true, he isnt the man to bring us the flag. Fremantle were in a sinilar situation to Ross Lyon. Ross is good at building a team up but cant elevate them. Fagan is the same. If freo had the balls to get rid of Ross in their prime they would have won a flag. If we had the balls to get rid of Fagan we would win the flag.

Bookmark this post. I been saying the same thing for the last 3 years to people before I came back here. We will not win a flag under Fagan and in 3 years will regret not replacing him when we were in our window.

Very similar.

We would have a flag under Clarkson, under Hardwick, under Horse. Under Scott. The list is too talented. Fagan has done all he can. Time to go.

Last edited:
It isn't Fages dropping marks, duffing kicks and missing tackles which is ultimately what is costing us games. You could certainly question whether we do enough to remedy our deficiencies in said areas though.

It is Fages that keeps making the wrong people scapegoats because he doesn't want to hurt feelings and ruin his grandfather rep

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would class Hipwood a lead up forward , Daisy cutters on a lead ,yet we will still send in bombs, totally illogical. We have not learnt from the past, which in my opinion is simply dumb football. The line coaches must be held to account and take some of the blame for dumb football. If fagan leaves, the line coaches must also need to be changed as in my opinion they are just as much of the problem as that of Fagan and of certain players.

Watching all the games this season, there is a total lack of thinking outside the square, no imagination, no out there moves to spark a resurgence nothing other than, to suggest to me we are facing a combination fried rice scenario. Total lack of tactical nous and players unwilling to bleed for the jumper except for a very few. The lions have seemingly lost their way. Heart breaking.

I would be personally calling on ,a total review of not only the football dept. but also the playing list, as it is not as good as people think. A TOTAL RETHINK REQUIRED ASAP.

If the club pulls that trigger. When is the best time he goes ? How does it need to be planned ? Does the club start chatting to interested parties now ?
Also …. How about another 2-3 assistants …. If they can’t afford them now how can they when there’s a payout looming for Fagan.

I think we are in no mans land.

I would class Hipwood a lead up forward , Daisy cutters on a lead ,yet we will still send in bombs, totally illogical. We have not learnt from the past, which in my opinion is simply dumb football. The line coaches must be held to account and take some of the blame for dumb football. If fagan leaves, the line coaches must also need to be changed as in my opinion they are just as much of the problem as that of Fagan and of certain players.

Watching all the games this season, there is a total lack of thinking outside the square, no imagination, no out there moves to spark a resurgence nothing other than, to suggest to me we are facing a combination fried rice scenario. Total lack of tactical nous and players unwilling to bleed for the jumper except for a very few. The lions have seemingly lost their way. Heart breaking.

I would be personally calling on ,a total review of not only the football dept. but also the playing list, as it is not as good as people think. A TOTAL RETHINK REQUIRED ASAP.
But apparently the line coaches have won awards from other assistants and coaches so why would we dare do that 🙄

Remove this Banner Ad

Back