Famous deaths that have really saddened you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 9, 2006
Left of centre.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Super Tottenham....from the Lane.
Over the past couple of weeks two of my favourite celebrities have passed away. The great Sean Lock and the even greater Charlie Watts. Both made me pause to consider the celebrity deaths that have saddened me and for what reasons. Some of them felt like I had lost a bit of my youth, others were just sad because of how much I respected or am invested in their work. A number made stop in my tracks for no easily explainable reason whatsoever.

Yes, it's a miserable topic but also an opportunity to consider and celebrate those who have made our lives even just a little bit more interesting or enjoyable. My list (which may have accidently omitted a few) is as follows:

Tom Petty - probably my favourite musician. I was lucky enough to see Tom Petty the Heartbreakers at the Isle of Wight Festival in 2012. As a man in his 40's, I'll admit to shedding a tear when that news came through.
Marie Fredriksson of Roxette
Robert Palmer
Robin Williams
Dean Jones - my favourite cricketer.
Rob Pilatus of Milli Vanilli, a guy who got hung out to dry and OD'd.
Michael Hutchence
Bob Hawke

There are quite a few more which I will add, but that might start a discussion.

Last edited:
I'll never grieve over a celebrity as I did with George Michael. In my early teen years I struck a formative connection with his music and he remained the most constant fixture of high rotation with me ever since. His death was so soul-crushingly tender and private. I immediately screamed and ran off when the news broke, and couldn't bear to hear anything about it and completely withdrew from any media for weeks afterward. It didn't help that I was vulnerable then (second year grief over my brother) and that news coming through over Xmas was just unbearable. Every December since I still get really melancholy and find solace in his music to get through it.

Last edited:

I'll never grieve over a celebrity as I did with George Michael. In my early teen years I struck a formative connection with his music and he remained the most constant fixture of high rotation with me ever since. His death was so soul-crushingly tender and private. I immediately screamed and ran off when the news broke, and couldn't bear to hear anything about it and completely withdrew from any media for weeks afterward. It didn't help that I was vulnerable then (second year grief over my brother) and that news coming through over Xmas was just unbearable. Every December since I still get really melancholy.
Plus one for George Michael, I came out a year or so before him and was trying to work everything out, he gets outed and releases a song about cottaging, legend. On top of that he seemed to be a sweet and funny guy with the soul of poet, a song like Father Figure will live forever. He had a pretty self destructive streak in him too which sadly I identify with.

I normally don't react to celebrities deaths very much but Sean Lock was a sad one.
That one came out of the blue especially with a new season of 8OO10C does countdown coming soon. He might be in it, it might coincide with when he took a turn. Hoping we get him in the latest episodes.

Over the past couple of weeks two of my favourite celebrities have passed away. The great Sean Lock and the even greater Charlie Watts. Both made me pause to consider the celebrity deaths that have saddened me and for what reasons. Some of them felt like I had lost a bit of my youth, others were just sad because of how much I respected or am invested in their work. A number made stop in my tracks for no easily explainable reason whatsoever.

Yes, it's a miserable topic but also an opportunity to consider and celebrate those who have made our lives even just a little bit more interesting or enjoyable. My list (which may have accidently omitted a few) is as follows:

Tom Petty - probably my favourite musician. I was lucky enough to Tom Petty the Heartbreakers at the Isle of Wight Festival in 2012. As a man in his 40's, I'll admit to shedding a tear when that news came through.
Marie Fredriksson of Roxette
Robert Palmer
Robin Williams
Dean Jones - my favourite cricketer.
Rob Pilatus of Milli Vanilli, a guy who got hung out to dry and OD'd.
Michael Hutchence
Bob Hawke

There are quite a few more which I will add but that might start a discussion.

mike hutchance i think saddened many because he and inxs were the representation of australia on the international music scene. everyone know inxs, kangaroos, koala bears and beaches.

robin williams - because he was the beacon of joy and brought it into peoples lives.

dean jones - the sudden nature, and remoteness i think added to the sad experience.

mike hutchance i think saddened many because he and inxs were the representation of australia on the international music scene. everyone know inxs, kangaroos, koala bears and beaches.

robin williams - because he was the beacon of joy and brought it into peoples lives.

dean jones - the sudden nature, and remoteness i think added to the sad experience.
Phillip Hughes because of the nature of his death. Nobody goes out to bat expecting to come back feet first.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll never grieve over a celebrity as I did with George Michael. In my early teen years I struck a formative connection with his music and he remained the most constant fixture of high rotation with me ever since. His death was so soul-crushingly tender and private. I immediately screamed and ran off when the news broke, and couldn't bear to hear anything about it and completely withdrew from any media for weeks afterward. It didn't help that I was vulnerable then (second year grief over my brother) and that news coming through over Xmas was just unbearable. Every December since I still get really melancholy.

Yes, I was in my car when I heard that and pulled over to the side of the road for a minute.

They've mostly been mentioned already. Watts saddened me recently. Petty, Cornell, O'Riordan, Robin Williams. Irwin was a sudden one. He was probably always going to go out doing what he loved but was still a shock. Gord Downey is a legend over here and his tour while fighting brain cancer was sad but inspiring.

They've mostly been mentioned already. Watts saddened me recently. Petty, Cornell, Robin Williams. Irwin was a sudden one. He was probably always going to go out doing what he loved but was still a shock. Gord Downey is a legend over here and his tour while fighting brain cancer was sad but inspiring.

Ahh, I forgot about Gord.

I fell in love with the Hip when I first visited Canada in 2014. I now listen to Boom Radio (I think it's a Toronto based station) almost daily and they played a full day of tributes to the great man the day after he passed.

Ahh, I forgot about Gord.

I fell in love with the Hip when I first visited Canada in 2014. I now listen to Boom Radio (I think it's a Toronto based station) almost daily and they played a full day of tributes to the great man the day after he passed.

Was my first concert when I moved to Vancouver. Was outdoors in the rain. Had a bucket of pouting and the smell of weed was in the air. He was a great performer.

They've mostly been mentioned already. Watts saddened me recently. Petty, Cornell, O'Riordan, Robin Williams. Irwin was a sudden one. He was probably always going to go out doing what he loved but was still a shock. Gord Downey is a legend over here and his tour while fighting brain cancer was sad but inspiring.
Many Australians like me had never heard of Irwin until his death.

Michael Hutchence

There are quite a few more which I will add but that might start a discussion.

+1 and Heath Ledger.

The latter always wonder what amazing films he would have made/starred in/directed etc. The fact he won the Oscar for The Joker + the family collecting it on his behalf just made it all the more emotional. Gone way too soon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back