FIFA has no idea

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by PAfolwr
I think I am to be included into one of your "confused" people here.
However, sadly I am not. Neither is Mead.

The governing body has now removed the clause where the previous winner automatically qualifies for the next World Cup.
Why? Because it has been deemed that this way they would have a chance of going back-to-back. The reason is that friendlies are not a good way to prepare a team for such a tournament.
Also major Clubs are reluctant to release players for friendlies or other meaningless games. Not just Australian players and Leeds United, but players from France and other countries also.

Now does anyone here seriously believe that all of our best players will be released to play against Tonga?
How many games will our squad actually get to play as a team before the World Cup if we qualify?

Our players may be good, but sadly without proper lead up games our "Team" will not be anywhere near as good as they could/should be.
Being part of thew Asian conference is really the only way to go.
Not only will we get games before a World Cup, but Home-Away games in between World Cups as well, where the players MUST be released by their clubs. Then and only then will Australian soccer go forward.

Not sure I understand. Now SA is a big joke, but you're saying they should not have agreed to have the winner of Oceania go straight through? "No no, Sepp, we won't take the free ride, and the millions of dollars that accompany it. We want to be part of Asia, so we get some decent games! What's that? Asia don't want us? What's that? The rest of Oceania don't agree with us? Heck, let's just keep it as it is then! We'll play Oceania, then stick us in against someone we're totally unprepared for, we'll fall over and continue to be a backwater for soccer forever!".

As much as I hate SA... they got a gift here, and I don't think they're in a position to take it back for an exchange.

So if you were SA, what would YOU have done?

Originally posted by sbagman
Not sure I understand. Now SA is a big joke, but you're saying they should not have agreed to have the winner of Oceania go straight through? "No no, Sepp, we won't take the free ride, and the millions of dollars that accompany it. We want to be part of Asia, so we get some decent games! What's that? Asia don't want us? What's that? The rest of Oceania don't agree with us? Heck, let's just keep it as it is then! We'll play Oceania, then stick us in against someone we're totally unprepared for, we'll fall over and continue to be a backwater for soccer forever!".

As much as I hate SA... they got a gift here, and I don't think they're in a position to take it back for an exchange.

I think it is incorrect to say Asia don't want us. More likely to be SA, or Oceania have not offered any sort of incentive for Asia to take us on.

Rather than the intense politicking conducted by SA to get the guaranteed qualifying spot, many would prefer that they worked to find a political solution to get us into Asia.

Moomba

The biggest problem is not getting the direct entry or not having the top 32 nations in the world cup but trying to work out a system of administration for SA that works. Soccer will never reach it's full potential in this country until we have people running the game who are not interested in linning theeir own pockets or purely on an ego trip.

I personally would like to know how hard they tried to get a different solution, and if they still are trying to get a different solution.
Of course there will be some reluctance for the "Asian" countries to let us into their conference if there is nothing in it for them.
Do we have a right to be included in Asia? Last time I checked, we were still in Australasia.

Originally posted by moomba
I think it is incorrect to say Asia don't want us. More likely to be SA, or Oceania have not offered any sort of incentive for Asia to take us on.

Rather than the intense politicking conducted by SA to get the guaranteed qualifying spot, many would prefer that they worked to find a political solution to get us into Asia.

Moomba
This is basically the type of solution that would be preferable.

At the moment we have a short term fix that can be overturned with good reason at any time in the future. Personally I would be surprised if there aren't conferences that aren't already plotting to do just that.

It does not guarantee us much long term, nor is it done in a way that is beneficial to us.
How many spectators will SA get during the four years in between World Cups? Not many as there will not be any games of any importance that will be played.
How many games will our best squad team play together in the four years between World Cups? Again not many since Clubs will be reluctant to release their players for friendlies that are unimportant in their eyes.

Yes it is good to get to the World Cup. No it is not a good long term solution.

What's in it for the rest of Oceania though? OK, it suits Australia, but Australia isn't Oceania. The smaller countries would probably prefer to have one shot at knocking off Australia and New Zealand than being thrust into Asia.

Can't see it happening.

Originally posted by DaveW
Hey, if Oceania has to be its own confederation it deserves a spot in the world cup. Simple as that. The injustice is over.

I completely agree. Having said that I can see us a) choke against ****ing Fiji or b) Not score at all if we do make it.

What's in it for the rest of Oceania though? OK, it suits Australia, but Australia isn't Oceania. The smaller countries would probably prefer to have one shot at knocking off Australia and New Zealand than being thrust into Asia.

Of course they would. Its easier that way. Everbody wants it easy. But it doesnt make it fair.

From what i hear it's about getting all FIFA confederations represented, not the top 32 countries, otherwise we could just say the top 32 qualified.

Originally posted by myee8
From what i hear it's about getting all FIFA confederations represented, not the top 32 countries, otherwise we could just say the top 32 qualified.

Whatever. But Oceania does not deserve to even be a confederation, let alone have a guaranteed spot in the World Cup.

Originally posted by hotpie
Whatever. But Oceania does not deserve to even be a confederation, let alone have a guaranteed spot in the World Cup.

Does Saudi Arabia?

Wait until the lead up to the 2006 WC when all of Australia is buzzing because we have a team going to the one truly international competition in the world.

This is a fantastic development for the sport in the region and it was about time FIFA recognised that we as a region were entitled to a spot.

Yes, I would prefer to be playing in Asia. But the Asian countries know that Australia and New Zealand would be very competitive and reduce the chances of the Asian countries making it to the WC.

Originally posted by Karanicolas
Does Saudi Arabia?
Not sure what you mean by that.

AFC Member National Associations

Afghanistan Bahrain Bangladesh
Bhutan Brunei Darussalam Cambodia
China PR Chinese Taipei Guam
Hong Kong India Indonesia
Iran Iraq Japan
Jordan Korea DPR Korea Republic
Kuwait Kyrgyzstan Laos
Lebanon Macao Malaysia
Maldives Mongolia Myanmar
Nepal Oman Pakistan
Palestine Philippines Qatar
Saudi Arabia Singapore Sri Lanka
Syria Tajikistan Thailand
Turkmenistan United Arab Emirates Uzbekistan
Vietnam Yemen

Originally posted by Karanicolas

Yes, I would prefer to be playing in Asia. But the Asian countries know that Australia and New Zealand would be very competitive and reduce the chances of the Asian countries making it to the WC.
If they are given the extra spot to compete for then it may be possible to get the other "Asian" federations to accept it.
With no extra spot there is no chance, and quite frankly, they would be stupid to agree.

Originally posted by hotpie

May i ask why? Is it coz apart from Australia ans NZ, all other teams are crap? That is true, i mean we beat the pacific island teams with double digit scores with our second-string side, but does that constitue us not derserving to be a confederation?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back