Discussion Finals Series 2017: Photos and Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawthorn were listed as the higher ranked team though. Looked at Wikipedia, their names first. Bizarre

Yeah that was under the old system of the GF being officially listed as "Winner PF1 v Winner PF2". Theres never been any documentation that the listed "home" team gets uniform rights, only higher finishing teams.

Remember of course regarding 2015 that:

A) West Coast finished above Hawthorn;
B) West Coast's preferred GF jumper is their royal;
C) West Coast wore royal shorts, Hawthorn were put in white.

The scenario that unfolded in 2015 still fits the "higher ranked team gets preferred uniform" criteria, but Patrick Keane's tweet suggests it isn't the case. Had West Coast chosen to wear the tripanel though, it could have been interesting.
Very hard to make this point in 140 characters :(

Very hard to make this point in 140 characters :(

The major pitfall of Twitter.

Regardless, the precedent has now well and truly been set. This has been the biggest kerfuffle surrounding clash jumpers for a Grand Final, so hopefully this is just an accepted hard and fast rule from now on.

Just wait until we have a QF rematch in a GF one day where the higher side lost for this to all blow up again though.

The incoherence.

Maybe it's just cos I was drinking.

Fair enough.

I just think Richmond’s yellow is totally different to Adelaide’s, Richmond in white shorts would be fine IMO

My two cents worth

I’m firmly of the belief that Adelaide have every right to their home jumper, and accept that it means we wear our clash jumper. Also, tonight was not a clash and I thought the game was very aesthetically pleasing.

But, in July, GWS came to Melbourne and apparently they clashed with us. Why did the AFLs view change for tonight? Surely it was the fact it’s September. And if that was the ruling, why does that rule not apply for us? That’s what pisses me off about it.

I was listening to a debate on SEN just before about the clash jumper situation. Apparently if St Kilda were playing, they could pick from any one of their 5 current alternative jumpers

My two cents worth

I’m firmly of the belief that Adelaide have every right to their home jumper, and accept that it means we wear our clash jumper. Also, tonight was not a clash and I thought the game was very aesthetically pleasing.

But, in July, GWS came to Melbourne and apparently they clashed with us. Why did the AFLs view change for tonight? Surely it was the fact it’s September. And if that was the ruling, why does that rule not apply for us? That’s what pisses me off about it.
To be fair you guys didn't wear the clash against them at Spotless

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Indeed, and it’s ridiculous that the clash doesn’t get worn in that but does in the return game. But mid season the AFL obviously believed GWS in Home/white clashes with us in full Home.
That could be a GWS decision too to wear their away jumper in away games. Similar to Fremantle wearing their white jumper when they don't really need to away,

image.jpeg image.jpeg So I just recently about 10 minutes got these photos leaked by a mate from the clubs what jumpers that Richmond Tigers And Adelaide Crows are going to wear for the 2017 AFL Grand Final nah not really but this is what it is going to look like he's its F***in stupid that the tigers have to wear the clash but there is going to be about 75 to 80 thousand tigers fans #gotigers #AFLGF

View attachment 419736 View attachment 419735 So I just recently about 10 minutes got these photos leaked by a mate from the clubs what jumpers that Richmond Tigers And Adelaide Crows are going to wear for the 2017 AFL Grand Final nah not really but this is what it is going to look like he's its F***in stupid that the tigers have to wear the clash but there is going to be about 75 to 80 thousand tigers fans #gotigers #AFLGF
You're on a board where 95% of posters agree Richmond have to be in their clash jumper, not a great way to make a first impression.

Although with the patches there is the eternal question that gets raised this time of year, will a manufacturer make up sublimated logos or iron on as usual?

That could be a GWS decision too to wear their away jumper in away games. Similar to Fremantle wearing their white jumper when they don't really need to away,
This is something that should be disclosed.
For example did Hawthorn wear clash away to Freo coz they had to or because they chose to?

They chose to. In no world does solid purple clash with gold and brown stripes.
Is that official word or just a deduction? That's the thing. Everyone can deduce that it's one when the AFL have actually gone with the other.
FWIW I agree with you 110% :)

Is that official word or just a deduction? That's the thing. Everyone can deduce that it's one when the AFL have actually gone with the other.
FWIW I agree with you 110% :)
Does it have something to do with the other match ups in the state? I can see it as a simplicity thing, both teams in QLD and WA they wear the clash to.

View attachment 419736 View attachment 419735 So I just recently about 10 minutes got these photos leaked by a mate from the clubs what jumpers that Richmond Tigers And Adelaide Crows are going to wear for the 2017 AFL Grand Final nah not really but this is what it is going to look like he's its F***in stupid that the tigers have to wear the clash but there is going to be about 75 to 80 thousand tigers fans #gotigers #AFLGF

l e a k e d

They chose to. In no world does solid purple clash with gold and brown stripes.

they don't contrast well.

in 2017, in the fast paced game we see today, teams need to wear contrasting uniform and dark with dark shorts vs. dark with white shorts simply isn't enough for split second decisions in a crowded midfield.

Does it have something to do with the other match ups in the state? I can see it as a simplicity thing, both teams in QLD and WA they wear the clash to.
In which case that should be disclosed so that, in the even that Freo finish top and Hawthorn second, and they both win through to the GF in straight sets, we understand why Hawthorn suddenly no longer clashes with Freo.

they don't contrast well.

in 2017, in the fast paced game we see today, teams need to wear contrasting uniform and dark with dark shorts vs. dark with white shorts simply isn't enough for split second decisions in a crowded midfield.
Hawthorn's main jumper is gold. That with white shorts contrasts fine. It's been fine when used against Carlton and that's essentially the same jumper with a darker shade on the purple-navy-black gradient.
Their brown with gold stripes plus white shorts, on the other hand, is bull, especially when Collingwood's same jumper isn't allowed.

The content of this video's discussion (particularly the first minute and a bit) from Bill Maher's show only last week with fashion guru Tim Gunn is too appropriate to ignore. The ideas about the impact of dressing well, while perhaps not scientifically airtight, are especially compelling to me:

I think it's worth pointing out Adelaide and Richmond have just broken long grand final droughts in a season in which their entire uniform sets are the most complete, professional and visually appealing they've ever had.

I do believe there is a nagging connection between look-like-s**t, feel-like-s**t and play-like-s**t. The obvious recent AFL exception might be Hawthorn three-peating during the Power Ranger era. However (as I recall it) after that jumper was widely ridiculed in the media, the Hawks copped a crucial QF loss to West Coast and a thrashing to the Giants the next (and last) two times they wore it. Again, not exactly scientific, but something worth thinking about!

This feels like another win for the FJGD board, or at least a suggestion that the stuff mulled over in this part of BigFooty might actually count for more than what is credited. Nobody could get away with denying the psychological element of sport exists, the question is how deep does it run.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back