Player Watch Fischer McAsey - Steps Away from Football, Not Returning

Do you think Fischer McAsey will be at the AFC in 2022?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Good news for the Crows, with very positive comments coming from McAsey after he re-signed to the end of 2023:
" “My faith in the Club has never wavered and I have enjoyed settling into Adelaide over the first two years.
“I want to be part of it and I believe the coaches we have will enable me to get the best out of myself.
“We have a great group of young players who are coming through together and we are driving each other to get better every day, so I am really pleased to be here for another two years.” ".
My impression was that he was unhappy and a potential 'Leaver', and I'm very happy to be wrong.

I posted back in January that I have friends who know the McAseys well and they reported that his dad was very happy with the relationship with AFC and that Fish was quite content in Adelaide. Also, one of my friends' lads played with Fish in juniors and it was something of a joke that he never cracks a smile.

So yeah, I've been wondering what all the 'he's gone' crew were basing their certainty on.

Someone came out a few months ago saying they'd had friends who knew the family and they had said that Fish had originally had a hard time, but that he has made friends and he was much happier here now. They also said don't read anything into his "demeanour" as he's just a very shy, unassuming dude.

I wasn't surprised by this announcement at all. Particularly once his best mate had signed a contract extension a month or so ago too.

Last edited:
I posted back in January that I have friends who know the McAseys well and they reported that his dad was very happy with the relationship with AFC and that Fish was quite content in Adelaide. Also, one of my friends' lads played with Fish in juniors and it was something of a joke that he never cracks a smile.

So yeah, I've been wondering what all the 'he's gone' crew were basing their certainty on.
I couldn't remember who it was... it was you!

d91.gif

^ Any time Kane is wrong.

Must admit this did come as a surprise as we know that Fish's dad was very unwell and I could absolutely have understood if he wanted to be back in Melbourne...but great news that even with all that, he still saw fit to sign an extension. Hoping that in the coming weeks he gets another block of AFL games to show what he can do as his last few weeks at SANFL level have not been too bad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But, but, but......

He's unhappy in Adelaide.

He met with the Bulldogs over Christmas.

He desperately wants to be with his family and especially his dad.

He is unhappy he isn't playing AFL and has spat the dummy in the SANFL.

Everyone has heard rumours and rumblings and so where there is smoke there must be fire.

Kane said he was leaving.

Great news!

With Worrell and now McAsey signing on I'll be more confident of retention the next time there are whispers about any of our Vic kids being lured home
And really, this speaks volumes for us as a Club (no matter how useless most of you think it is). We finished stone motherless last, last year. And these kids are excited about where we are as a group and the development they are getting.

Wonder if this turns the player retention blow torch over to a few other clubs with unsigned 1st rounders from 2019. Few interesting names on that list as well.

D.Stephens (Syd), T. Green (GWS), S.Flanders (GCS), W.Day (Haw), C.Weightman (WB), C. Stephens (Geel), B. Kemp (Carl), T.Dow (Rich)
We should be throwing coin at Day

Good news for the Crows, with very positive comments coming from McAsey after he re-signed to the end of 2023:
" “My faith in the Club has never wavered and I have enjoyed settling into Adelaide over the first two years.
“I want to be part of it and I believe the coaches we have will enable me to get the best out of myself.
“We have a great group of young players who are coming through together and we are driving each other to get better every day, so I am really pleased to be here for another two years.” ".
My impression was that he was unhappy and a potential 'Leaver', and I'm very happy to be wrong.
You know the media writer prepares those quotes and Fischs manager signs them off?

And really, this speaks volumes for us as a Club (no matter how useless most of you think it is). We finished stone motherless last, last year. And these kids are excited about where we are as a group and the development they are getting.
I think it also shows some of our investment off-field is paying dividends - the additions of Burns, Van Berlo and Rahilly has players feeling more positive about our direction

I think Thilthorpe's debut might have swung things. I'd rather be playing with him than against him. ;) ;) ;)

Well there it is. The big Fish! Good signing and take the pressure off all parties.

Mutineer, interesting the rumblings around your parts seemed to off on this one then? They usually have their finger on the pulse on this kinda stuff

lol he has no actual sources, just likes to pretend he does. I thought that was well known on this board by pretty much everyone?

Wonder if this turns the player retention blow torch over to a few other clubs with unsigned 1st rounders from 2019. Few interesting names on that list as well.

D.Stephens (Syd), T. Green (GWS), S.Flanders (GCS), W.Day (Haw), C.Weightman (WB), C. Stephens (Geel), B. Kemp (Carl), T.Dow (Rich)
I wonder if we will target Stephens, it would certainly justify the pick swap if we can bring him back cheaper.

Back