News Assistant Coaches Speculation and News - Xavier Clarke joins

Remove this Banner Ad

Again, if we improved from 2013 to '14 and '14 to '15 we would have won finals. We didn't improve.
What's more we didn't improv from '15 to '16 with the best list in Hardwick's seven years.

I'm not denying that we have stagnated over the last three years in term of finals success. This is why Dimma played the kids and unproven players this year. Its also why we struggled on-field with an inconsistent and inexperienced line up. It had to be done because the more experienced and average players we had taking up position were certainly serviceable and got us to the finals but they didn't have the talent to take us further than that. I would rather a year like we've had that gives us eventual success in the finals than another year of first game finals humiliation.

Yep, in the space of a few rounds it went from Finals are still on the cards to it's a "development" year according to some. I don't mind that the Club threw in the youth (in fact preferred it), just don't piss in my pocket and tell me it's raining.

I don't think for a second that Dimma believed the difference dropping a few of these more average but big bodied players would make and replacing them with young kids. I think he was as shocked as we were at the suddenly decline in the overall team dynamics, unity and structures. This is why he thought we would still make the finals but when it became obvious that the kids could not fill the holes left by the older players immediately, finals became a pipe dream. This is when he went for broke and played every kid he could to make sure he knew who could fill a role next year.

What are you talking about? The club had a reputation for sacking coaches. It wanted to change that reputation because it was stopping them attracting the best coaches because they rightly feared that they would be sacked before they could make a difference. Is that clear?
What's clear is that you are talking out your arse. Or you have some sort of inside information about the Club with some sort of connection.......

As for Richmond making decisions based on public perception... well the Club's a joke run by inept clowns so highly possible.

We gradually improved every year of his tenure except for the last three years where we have made the finals but haven't won a final yet. This year was about finding the cattle to take us forward which meant some short term on-field pain but otherwise for every other year the ladder trajectory has been up.
What a complete load of crap, you are again talking out of your arse. This year was never about finding the right cattle until it went **** up. You don't trade for top ups like Yarran because you are looking at what the list has to offer. Especially consider Hardwick himself already believed he had the best list he has ever had at his disposal.

This year Richmond thought they would waltz into a top 4 finish and come out reeking of success. When that clearly wasn't going to happen it's all just been save your own bum time resulting in nothing but mixed messages.

When did I even make the assertion that Dimma was blameless? We have under performed and the head coach is a huge factor in that. He's certainly not the only factor but he certainly needs to take responsibility no doubt. What I do find troubling is stating that by sacking the coach it will completely change our fortunes. This is just rubbish. The reason we have been in three consecutive finals for the first time in over a decade was because of the unified and consistent direction from the board, coaches and players.

This year we took a big step back in terms of performance but it was a strategic decision to move us further in the future. We had to find out which kids on our list would help us achieve success in future finals. We couldn't just keep rolling out the same team and achieving the same results year on year out. I don't think Dimma or the rest of the club expected the on-field performance to suffer so dramatically as a result but it obviously did. As a result the media and many supporters demanded blood and the club responded by sacking the assistant coaches. I think the board forced this move because they were fearful that the Richmond faithful would otherwise demand a board spill and the current board would never get an opportunity to see their hard work come to fruition. Dimma has been kept because he is only doing what the board agreed had to be done this year for us to move forward. Dimma suggested as much with his -'one step back to go two steps forward' - comment.

Next year is a huge year for the club and Dimma will not survive another year like we just had regardless of the reasons for having it. The Supporter Base will not stand for failure any longer and coaches still remain the number one scapegoat if success is not forthcoming.

You predominately blame Dimma for our poor 2016 season - I get it. What I'm saying is that their are reasons for the year and that next year with new Assistant Coaches, a stronger core of talented players and a better game plan (Dimma needs to fix this) I think we will march up the ladder. If we don't then I'll join the mob calling for Dimma's head too but until then have some patience and back your club.
More garbage, it's like what you have typed was taken straight from the Damien Hardwick book of goal post shifting. The one step back comment was only to blame shift because of how crap the Season was panning out, it was never the clear plan from the start. Couldn't roll out the same team you claim, except it was basically the same team until the Season was completely shot.

As for patience and back the Club.... 7 years is more than enough time. Hardwick is the one at the helm, he is the one most responsible, he is the one that most needs to be moved on. All that's followed is more of the bum saving tactics, this time from the Board responsible for the horrid decision to re-sign him when they did.

Yeah, I reckon one of my major gripes is the Selection Committee. Bastards.

Anyone know who was on this year's Selection Committee? Did it include any of the five that have been sacked?
I think so

I don't think for a second that Dimma believed the difference dropping a few of these more average but big bodied players would make and replacing them with young kids. I think he was as shocked as we were at the suddenly decline in the overall team dynamics, unity and structures. This is why he thought we would still make the finals but when it became obvious that the kids could not fill the holes left by the older players immediately, finals became a pipe dream. This is when he went for broke and played every kid he could to make sure he knew who could fill a role next year.
More crap.

If Hardwick was able to develop Players then they wouldn't have been so off the mark. If Hardwick was able to motive Players and true to form that the "jumper will never hit the ground" then the Players would have at least shown up and had a decent crack. The way the Season ended and how badly the team performed had nothing, NOTHING to do with young Players with small bodies.

Refining the game plan to new rules let's look at this

There were rule changes announced last year about this time actually which made deliberate out of bounds a major issue , as well incorrect disposal and that other little gem the 15 meter rule

All summer and preseason when we Wernt trying to forfeit matches or cancelling inter club practice matches because the temperature hit that manic 25 degrees, we practised a game plan which revolved around getting the ball out and creating stoppages. Ie replicating Ross Lyons game plan, the rest of the comp apart from a couple of exceptions decided to attack the corridor.

He was either a genius or an idiot, we have won 12.5 games out of our first 42 to start the seven seasons he has been in charge, he has got the style wrong every year since he started.

There was a lot of discussion about vickery passing to Lloyd in the dying moments of the Collingwood game when a shot at goal from what was 40 ? 35 out? Would have won the game and papered over the cracks.

The game plan let's call it that was a practised move done on the training track kick it to the pocket force a stoppage and reset, vickery did what he was drilled to do, in fact there is roar vision of exactly what he did , during a training drill they practised it over and over.

Dimma is at fault for where we are 150 %

I agree with your criticism of the game plan. It is my biggest issue with Dimma and the assistant coaches. This needs to change because slow, deliberate ball movement is just not working. The only thing has gives me pause is that Hawthorn are still using the game plan but move the ball on quickly using precise kicking. This is where we are lacking - we're not taking the game on. Perhaps the loss of Yarran and Houli early in the year was a big factor in our confidence. Perhaps Lids acting as a link up player also hurt this game plan. Regardless I agree - it certainly needs to be changed for next year or we won't go anywhere.

For the record, I wasn't shocked att he decline. I predicted it - and largely because we would be found out because he failed to draft kids in in previous years and play those we did draft. If you break it down, Gale and Hardwick's wing and prayer 'top four' claims were built on every player on th list improving (which it never does) and adding Yarran, Townsend and Moore (and tell me you really thought Townsend and Moore were the missing links?). The signs that some wee going backwards, including BEllis, Batchelor, Chaplin and Vickery, were already evident but ignored, as was the fact Maric was cooked!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perhaps the loss of Yarran and Houli early in the year was a big factor in our confidence. Perhaps Lids acting as a link up player also hurt this game plan. Regardless I agree - it certainly needs to be changed for next year or we won't go anywhere.
Perhaps, what we do know however is that the game plan being a bucket of pus is not Hardwick's fault. That we do know, because he is faultless. Someone else is always to blame. :rolleyes:

For the record, I wasn't shocked att he decline. I predicted it - and largely because we would be found out because he failed to draft kids in in previous years and play those we did draft. If you break it down, Gale and Hardwick's wing and prayer 'top four' claims were built on every player on th list improving (which it never does) and adding Yarran, Townsend and Moore (and tell me you really thought Townsend and Moore were the missing links?). The signs that some wee going backwards, including BEllis, Batchelor, Chaplin and Vickery, were already evident but ignored, as was the fact Maric was cooked!
What are these claims of which you speak. I have it on good authority that this year was always a development year......

Have a look at Sydney players compared to ours all of them have big arse's. They train in the gym for this because they are a contested ball side and require the size. That should be the model we aspire to.

Not sure if our fitness guru is following coaches instructions re physical size eg Jack dropping size or is just no ###### good and needs replacing but either way our conditioning should be addressed
Noted

What's clear is that you are talking out your arse. Or you have some sort of inside information about the Club with some sort of connection.......

As for Richmond making decisions based on public perception... well the Club's a joke run by inept clowns so highly possible.

What a complete load of crap, you are again talking out of your arse. This year was never about finding the right cattle until it went **** up. You don't trade for top ups like Yarran because you are looking at what the list has to offer. Especially consider Hardwick himself already believed he had the best list he has ever had at his disposal.

This year Richmond thought they would waltz into a top 4 finish and come out reeking of success. When that clearly wasn't going to happen it's all just been save your own bum time resulting in nothing but mixed messages.

More garbage, it's like what you have typed was taken straight from the Damien Hardwick book of goal post shifting. The one step back comment was only to blame shift because of how crap the Season was panning out, it was never the clear plan from the start. Couldn't roll out the same team you claim, except it was basically the same team until the Season was completely shot.

As for patience and back the Club.... 7 years is more than enough time. Hardwick is the one at the helm, he is the one most responsible, he is the one that most needs to be moved on. All that's followed is more of the bum saving tactics, this time from the Board responsible for the horrid decision to re-sign him when they did.

It's interesting that my arse is making more sense than you atm. Do you think sacking coaches in the past lead us to success? Do you think we would have gone any further with the side we rolled out in the 2015 finals?

I agree with you (can't believe I am saying that) that Dimma did shift the goals but only when he realised the scope of the negative impact of making changes to the team early in the season. Who would have thought that by not playing Chaplin would destabilize out backline to that extent? No Maric - suddenly our midfield lacks around the ground. Lids out - our scoring drys up. Houli injured - s**t our run and ball movement stagnates. Where's McIntosh? - our run is again affected. Dimma never predicted the magnitude of our descent for grace but i retrospect the effect of switching the team around to improve it was going to create growing pains. I just hope its worth it next year

Perhaps, what we do know however is that the game plan being a bucket of pus is not Hardwick's fault. That we do know, because he is faultless. Someone else is always to blame. :rolleyes:

Is he. Blameless you say. Ok......oh you're being sarcastic again!:straining: Perhaps what you meant to say that Hardwick isn't solely to blame. If you did then you'd be spot on. :thumbsu:

The Game plan needs to change all the same. I don't give a rats ass if its Dimma's brainwave, an assistant coach or a combination of other clubs game plans merged to fit our players - we need a game plan to suit today's game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back