Resource Footage of old Geelong matches on television, VHS, DVD, digital and online

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Classic Geelong games on 7TWO and Chooseday Night Football

I'm gonna do 2007 PF vs Collingwood next week. :) Or should I do something else?

Why not Round 12, 2000 vs Collingwood? We were 5 goals down in the wet at 1/2 time, yet came back to win by 4 points. :D

Why not Round 12, 2000 vs Collingwood? We were 5 goals down in the wet at 1/2 time, yet came back to win by 4 points. :D
That one has been on 7TWO and is on a certain torrent site.

One game I'd love to see would be Round 1, 1984 vs Fitzroy. Jacko kicked 9, Diesel Williams had 38 touches in his first game, Ablett had 22 possessions and 3 goals and we won by 49 points.

Don't know if they have it though.

One game I'd love to see would be Round 1, 1984 vs Fitzroy. Jacko kicked 9, Diesel Williams had 38 touches in his first game, Ablett had 22 possessions and 3 goals and we won by 49 points.

Don't know if they have it though.

:thumbsu:
also that 1992 Fosters cup final against St Kilda @ Waverley Park where we won it in a thriller by 3 points.

Looks like this one got up too. Should be available on the SD website later today.

A remarkable episode in AFL/VFL history.
That game was not available (lost in both digital and analogue tape) until recently.

If you cannot get it, there is a game you should try to get from Name A Game - I got it last birthday for my uncle who is a big Geelong fan. It was late in 2004, on a wet August day at Kardinia Park against Fremantle. With the wind, the Cats kicked 1-9 (15) to 0-1 (1) in the first quarter, then the Dockers came back, but Geelong were able to kick two goals into the wind to be nine points up at half-time. In third quarter, however, Geelong kicked 5-4 (34) to be 41 points up at half-time, and into the breeze kicked 1-6 (12) to 0-3 (3) to keep the Dockers to three goalless quarters. Fremantle’s overall score of 3-7 (25) was:
  1. the only one of the 100 (108 exactly) lowest scores since 1919 between 2000 and 2008
  2. the last score of three or fewer goals for almost five years (up to Round 10, 2009)
I’m sure you Geelong fans would love to remember this game? If so, you should vote for it on the next Facebook poll and I would be as eager to see it as any game since Waverley closed - wet games to me are more interesting to watch than dry ones.

That game was not available (lost in both digital and analogue tape) until recently.

If you cannot get it, there is a game you should try to get from Name A Game - I got it last birthday for my uncle who is a big Geelong fan. It was late in 2004, on a wet August day at Kardinia Park against Fremantle. With the wind, the Cats kicked 1-9 (15) to 0-1 (1) in the first quarter, then the Dockers came back, but Geelong were able to kick two goals into the wind to be nine points up at half-time. In third quarter, however, Geelong kicked 5-4 (34) to be 41 points up at half-time, and into the breeze kicked 1-6 (12) to 0-3 (3) to keep the Dockers to three goalless quarters. Fremantle’s overall score of 3-7 (25) was:
  1. the only one of the 100 (108 exactly) lowest scores since 1919 between 2000 and 2008
  2. the last score of three or fewer goals for almost five years (up to Round 10, 2009)
I’m sure you Geelong fans would love to remember this game? If so, you should vote for it on the next Facebook poll and I would be as eager to see it as any game since Waverley closed - wet games to me are more interesting to watch than dry ones.
And that goal came with one second left in the quarter.

And that goal came with one second left in the quarter.
Which goal are you talking about? Was it Geelong’s last quarter goal? Moreover, if you know the game, would you like to see it on Name A Game special or would you prefer something else?

Which goal are you talking about? Was it Geelong’s last quarter goal? Moreover, if you know the game, would you like to see it on Name A Game special or would you prefer something else?
No the highlighted first quarter. The only goal of the first quarter was scored in the last second. Before that it was 0.9 to 0.1.

The game was also noteable for being the coldest Geelong day in 26 years, and for hosting one of Steve Johnson's most famous goals.

No the highlighted first quarter. The only goal of the first quarter was scored in the last second. Before that it was 0.9 to 0.1.

The game was also noteable for being the coldest Geelong day in 26 years, and for hosting one of Steve Johnson's most famous goals.

Was my first game at KP together with my Dad, and we absolutely froze in the lower section of the Wade Stand.

The interchange players (maybe only for Freo?) didn't really sit on the bench; all went straight up the race to the rooms for their time off the field.

Bartel's wet-weather nous was on display throughout, and the SJ wonder-goal happened at the City end. Didn't get a great view of it till we got home to see a replay.

Abysmal weather but great memories - after six attempts, I finally got to see the Cats have a win in Victoria. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember being at the local club's game that day.

Horrible conditions.

Was that the match where Bartel was reported twice?

Discounted game is up on the site now.

I don't think you could order multiple copies last time around - seems like you can now.

Got three - will give one to my Dad and send one to my brother.
The Essence of the Game (documentary) is $1 and postage today only. So maybe throw that in with your $10 copy of the Geelong v Brisbane match and make it an even better deal.

http://www.sportsdelivered.com/the-essence-of-the-game.html

Any idea what game I should do next week? Maybe a really wet/muddy game like the one vs Freo. :D

Didn't Jeff Farmer suffer from a minor case of hypothermia that day? I remember seeing a shot of the Freo bench and the players were wearing beanies and had a rug over their lap. Geelong's bench were in the rooms in front of heaters and ran down the race just before they required to run onto the ground.

Any idea what game I should do next week? Maybe a really wet/muddy game like the one vs Freo. :D
I wholeheartedly second that recommendation!

One misses the variety wet grounds could create before Docklands was brought in to replace Waverley and all the suburban grounds were phased out because of their poor quality (actually the VFL has to answer for not allowing clubs to set their own ticket prices which would have allowed better quality after health regulations came in). Before Docklands and ground rationalisation, weather could even affect the long-term form of teams. I wonder what younger fans who have joined Geelong since their 2007 season will think??

More than that, wet weather on different soils could be radically different, as Fitzroy and St. Kilda found on their trips to Perth in 1987 and 1988 respectively. No doubt, with the heavy rain - much heavier than Melbourne - they assumed it would suit their skill-based style, but in fact the sandy Perth soils allowed even this heavy rain to drain away and the speedy Eagles simply slaughtered both visitors. In 2004, Geelong ironically had the same fate: they were narrowly beaten on a torrentially wet day at Subiaco earlier in the year but thrashed the Dockers in the game we have been discussing on the clayey, volcanic soils of Kardinia Park.

Well done to whoever nominated round 18, 2004 as this week's Name a Game bargain... make sure you click 'like' so we can get this one up!

Have been meaning to buy this game from NaG for years and would love it for $10.

Well done to whoever nominated round 18, 2004 as this week's Name a Game bargain... make sure you click 'like' so we can get this one up!

Have been meaning to buy this game from NaG for years and would love it for $10.

Did this game have a fight in it or am I imagining that?

Don't think so, I just remember Stevie J bagging 5 and the Freo blokes sitting on the bench with beanies, a blanket and their teddy bears, it was so cold :p

I decided to go with Geelong vs St kilda rnd 7 1989. Where we won 228-109.

Awesome choice! :thumbsu:

Remember sitting in the Brownlow Stand with some friends of the family that day, and Ablett senior hit Winmar with a hip and shoulder right in front of me that was so hard that Winmar did a cartwheel in mid-air before he hit the deck. :D

I decided to go with Geelong vs St kilda rnd 7 1989. Where we won 228-109.
I would love that one too, but it is not available and was probably not ever televised. To see 102 goals scored in two games (fourth and second highest aggregate scores of all-time), though, is an incredible feat for a Geelong fan, especially as an amazing contrast with what what was seen by footy fans when the weather broke up later that year!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back