Footscray VFL 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Someone who’s watched Marra closely all year and went to the game today told me it was the hardest JUH had worked all season up and down the ground. Also the delivery to him was shocking. Thought it was his best game since GWS. Good signs for the kid.
I wonder whether they have/use in house trackers for the VFL games to measure/monitor kms covered, sprints and repeat sprints etc or is that purely at senior level.

Very good. I guess the measurable work rates of the various players at that level will have some influence on selections that might otherwise bemuse us in some instances.

BTW, on the stats sheet is KG Ground Kicks and KC Clanger Kicks?

Yep that's right.

KE = Kick Effective
KG = Kick Ground
KI = Kick Ineffective
K = Kick
HE = Handball Effective
HI = Handball Inneffective
HC = Handball Clanger
H = Handball
D = Disposals
CP = Contested Possession
UP = Uncontested Possession
HR = Handball Receives
CM = Contested Mark
UM = Uncontested Mark
M = Marks
FF = Free For
FF = Free Against
T = Tackle
SP = Spoil
CHO = Centre Bounce Hitout
CC = Centre Clearance
HO = Hitout
C = Clearance
I50 = Inside 50
R50 = Rebound 50
G.B = Goals.Behinds
SA = Score Assists

BTW, on the stats sheet is KG Ground Kicks and KC Clanger Kicks?

Yep. A clanger kick is a direct turnover. An ineffective kick is a kick 'not advantageous' to the team but not a direct turnover. An effective kick is a kick to a teammate or a kick 40m+ to a contest with 50/50 or better odds in the kicking team's favour.

Marra kicking fourth quarter goals is a good sign for his tank
It all depends if he put in 3 quarters of effort before the last quarter.

JUH - Quarter by Quarter (2021)
Q1: 2.1
Q2: 3.0
Q3: 2.3
Q4: 5.1
FT 12.5

JUH - Scoring Profile (2021)
Set Shot: 9.3
On Run: 2.1
Snap: 0.1
Mark Play On: 0.0
Ground: 1.0

0M-15M: 3.1
15M-30M: 2.1
31M-40M: 2.1
41M-50M: 4.2
51M+: 1.0

I went out to Craigieburn today. Solid win but that’s about it. No one put their hand up for an AFL game.

Marra was very quiet in the 1st half, came out with some intent after half time and was much better.

Bendendo was lively but seems not as fit as he needs to be. Also needs some bulk.

Lippa and Rhylee were ok without being spectacular. Hayes got a bit of it but just seems a bit meh.

Cav was good in the 3rd.

Wood limped off before half time.

Sweet seems more aggressive than he was.

Stef Martin was an interested spectator.

Phil Cleary is friendly.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Just had a look at the VFL fixture. In the remaining rounds we have 1 bye and 6 games against sides that are 12th or lower (none have more than three wins so far).

The only challenging matchup is Rd 16 v the unbeaten Casey. We are 7 from 7. They are 5 from 5.

Anyone know how the draw works? We don't play 2nd placed Southport? Have we played all the other good sides already?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I went out to Craigieburn today. Solid win but that’s about it. No one put their hand up for an AFL game.

Marra was very quiet in the 1st half, came out with some intent after half time and was much better.

Bendendo was lively but seems not as fit as he needs to be. Also needs some bulk.

Lippa and Rhylee were ok without being spectacular. Hayes got a bit of it but just seems a bit meh.

Cav was good in the 3rd.

Phil Cleary is friendly.

How did Young go?

Seems to be taking a lot of marks.

Wondering if he could play the 3rd KPD second ruck role?

Someone who’s watched Marra closely all year and went to the game today told me it was the hardest JUH had worked all season up and down the ground. Also the delivery to him was shocking. Thought it was his best game since GWS. Good signs for the kid.
That's not how I saw it. His first half was poor. Was much better in the 2nd half. Laid a lot of tackles in the 3rd quarter and was generally lively.

Needs to find a way to get into the game when down. Yes, delivery wasn't great having said that.

Last edited:
Just had a look at the VFL fixture. In the remaining rounds we have 1 bye and 6 games against sides that are 12th or lower (none have more than three wins so far).

The only challenging matchup is Rd 16 v the unbeaten Casey. We are 7 from 7. They are 5 from 5.

Anyone know how the draw works? We don't play 2nd placed Southport? Have we played all the other good sides already?

Don't take much notice of the VFL fixture it's going to change substantially over the next two months.

Of the current top 8 we've only played Geelong.

How did Young go?

Seems to be taking a lot of marks.

Wondering if he could play the 3rd KPD second ruck role?
Young did a bit and got his hands on it, but he is a bit like Hayes - just a bit meh. He gets pushed around too easy, drops marks he should take, doesn't use his size. I was disappointed as I expected more from someone trying to get an AFL game. He wasn't bad, just didn't scream pick me.

Can't see him getting a game anytime soon.

Buku has dropped off a bit, too.

Young did a bit and got his hands on it, but he is a bit like Hayes - just a bit meh. He gets pushed around too easy, drops marks he should take, doesn't use his size. I was disappointed as I expected more from someone trying to get an AFL game. He wasn't bad, just didn't scream pick me.

Can't see him getting a game anytime soon.

Buku has dropped off a bit, too.
I had high hopes for Young, but if we can find a KPD who can be / is best 22, then Young's spot on the list is in danger.

Cav was good in the 3rd.

Phil Cleary is friendly.

How did McSteal go? A couple of clanger kicks but overall a pretty high disposal efficiency, a goal and a solid tackling effort.

I may be wrong, but I think we were due to play Southport the week lockdown #4 came along

How did McSteal go? A couple of clanger kicks but overall a pretty high disposal efficiency, a goal and a solid tackling effort.
He was ok. Coburg aren't a bad side but they aren't an AFL club aligned team, so in the last quarter the difference in fitness levels becomes stark.

A lot of the heavy lifting was done by our VFL listed players, Drummond, McComb and Sullivan.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back