Preview Footy returns - training and game prep Round 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
Looked around but couldn't find where else to put this.

So we have seen some training returning to normal now and the clubs starting to prepare for games. I thought it might be worth having a thread discussing any observations/thoughts/concerns around this.

For me, I'm a bit bewildered by the current setup. What coaches do we have left? It looks like we are having senior players running sections of training every training. Now that is not always a bad thing, but with a new coach, you would think he might want to really work on imprinting his own style.
Or is this his style - empowering the players?
Or is it purely because of costs and we don't have enough coaches to actually plan and run sessions?

I'm on record as saying that I'm all for ignoring results this year and getting games and experience in to as many of our younger players as possible - Preferably in good roles (not buried on the HFF). But I have a feeling that we are going to resemble an absolute shambles on field.

It is going to be very, very interesting.

So we have seen some training returning to normal now and the clubs starting to prepare for games. I thought it might be worth having a thread discussing any observations/thoughts/concerns around this.

For me, I'm a bit bewildered by the current setup. What coaches do we have left? It looks like we are having senior players running sections of training every training. Now that is not always a bad thing, but with a new coach, you would think he might want to really work on imprinting his own style.
Or is it purely because of costs and we don't have enough coaches to actually plan and run sessions?

I'm on record as saying that I'm all for ignoring results this year and getting games and experience in to as many of our younger players as possible - Preferably in good roles (not buried on the HFF). But I have a feeling that we are going to resemble an absolute shambles on field.

Yep looks like our coaching group is basically Nicks, Godden, Clarke? and then development coaches. Paper thin.

Hart will be back for most of the season but that's not adding much.

Needs a significant investment int he odd season and I hope it doesn't affect the development of our young squad in the short term

I think Nicks said they are allowed to train in 8s or 7 and a coach. They wanted as many people together as possible so.."player empowerment".

If its Tex coaching the forwards then thats probably a win over Hart anyway. Would be hard to complain about Talia coaching the backs either i guess.

Yep looks like our coaching group is basically Nicks, Godden, Clarke? and then development coaches. Paper thin.

Needs a significant investment int he odd season and I hope it doesn't affect the development of our young squad in the short term
Adelaide Crows

The Crows will be without forwards coach Ben Hart for the first two games back as he serves his ban for his involvement in the club's social distancing breach in the Barossa Valley. His role will be replaced by Matthew Clarke for a fortnight. Defensive coach Marty Mattner has accepted compensation to move on from the club and will be replaced by development coach Brent Reilly, while development coach Paul Thomas also departed last month.

I just hope we get 17 games into Chayce Jones, Will Hamill, Fischer McAsey, Ned McHenry, ROB and Darcy Fogarty, then 4 or 5 into Harry Schoenberg and Josh Worrell.

The results are irrelevant - we should be taking the Melbourne approach of not tanking, but having our results make it look that way so we get a really good pick

I think Nicks said they are allowed to train in 8s or 7 and a coach. They wanted as many people together as possible so.."player empowerment".

If its Tex coaching the forwards then thats probably a win over Hart anyway. Would be hard to complain about Talia coaching the backs either i guess.
I thought that initially, but the government now allows full training and today Tom Lynch ran training.

I just hope we get 17 games into Chayce Jones, Will Hamill, Fischer McAsey, Ned McHenry, ROB and Darcy Fogarty, then 4 or 5 into Harry Schoenberg and Josh Worrell.

The results are irrelevant - we should be taking the Melbourne approach of not tanking, but having our results make it look that way so we get a really good pick

Instead of the Richmond theme, maybe we should be playing this on repeat to drum it into the players the expectations for 2020.

The season is going to be a joke anyway, I will happily a take a spoon and Pick 1.

A great question was asked on 5AA last night.

In the interests of equity, if one state (i.e. Vic) allows fans back into the ground, will the AFL hold off until all states allow it?

Clearly having a home crowd is a massive advantage, so we would expect the AFL to wait for all teams to have that advantage?

In the interests of equity, if one state (i.e. Vic) allows fans back into the ground, will the AFL hold off until all states allow it?

Clearly having a home crowd is a massive advantage, so we would expect the AFL to wait for all teams to have that advantage?

The AFL have proven time and again that whilst all clubs are equal, some are "more equal" than others. At the end of the day, it wall all depend on who's being disadvantaged and how it effects the AFL's bottom line.

Agreed, this needs to be a development year. Get significant games into McAsey, Jones, McHenry, Fogarty especially, so come 2021 they're far more comfortable with the level and ready to go. Others need a taste as well. If more senior players are carrying niggles, use the year to focus on getting their bodies right, rather than eeking every game possible out of them.

The optimist in me says that we're effectively preparing for a raid on other clubs more established assistant coaches. We left appointing a coach far too late last year and anyone Nicks likely wanted to bring in would have been contracted.

Mattner wasn't going to get another gig, so was let go early. It outwardly appears that Hart should have gone the same way, it may be though that he's willing to accept base wage and we may feel his experience is valuable enough to keep on, cost/benefit may be in his favour. Goddin is a bit of an unknown. Clark has a dual role as Women's Coach and part-time assistant, so he probably comes cheap as part of his salary would likely be filed under the Women's team and likely outside of the men's football dept soft cap.

It is the AFC though, so wouldn't surprise if our coaching staff is Nicks, Hart, Clark, Goddin and Reilly...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bahahahahahahah hahahahahahahahaaha bahahahahahahahahahahah

Zero chance of that. Crowds allowed in Victoria? Boom. Good for the game, must happen.

Crowds allowed in Adelaide? Unfair advantage. Can't happen for fairness reasons.

The VFL are North Korea level corrupt.

The optimist in me says that we're effectively preparing for a raid on other clubs more established assistant coaches. We left appointing a coach far too late last year and anyone Nicks likely wanted to bring in would have been contracted.

Mattner wasn't going to get another gig, so was let go early. It outwardly appears that Hart should have gone the same way, it may be though that he's willing to accept base wage and we may feel his experience is valuable enough to keep on, cost/benefit may be in his favour. Goddin is a bit of an unknown. Clark has a dual role as Women's Coach and part-time assistant, so he probably comes cheap as part of his salary would likely be filed under the Women's team and likely outside of the men's football dept soft cap.

It is the AFC though, so wouldn't surprise if our coaching staff is Nicks, Hart, Clark, Goddin and Reilly...
You can only hope, but I think our thoughts have been distracted on how we can undermine our 'members' and eek as much cash out of them as we can rather than looking at less important things like our coaching structure for next year.

However, I'd like to see Damian Monkhorst and Joel Corey approached.

I find it interesting that Richmond, Geelong and WC haven't made any changes to their coaching panels yet, while GWS have only put off their Director of Coaching and development coach. Similar at Collingwood. They are all in this year

Must say I'm a little confused .....is the AFL dictating a revised Football Dept spend or revised Football Dept numbers

If it's numbers, that's not constraining how much coaches ect are paid .....but if you set a $spend, then you can apply as many as you wish withing your footy dept

In this age of job keeper, if the footy club came and said we'll pay you 40% of you current salary, but you have a job ....surely most of these footy loving coaches ect would grab the reduced wage, rather than not be involved in footy

Found it interesting that Chayce Jones singles out just how fit Benny Kaeys looked. It wouldn’t surprise me if base fitness becomes an scale tipper for selection in the first month.

Guys like Kaeys and Crocker could well be in the drivers seat for early selection.

Found it interesting that Chayce Jones singles out just how fit Benny Kaeys looked. It wouldn’t surprise me if base fitness becomes an scale tipper for selection in the first month.

Guys like Kaeys and Crocker could well be in the drivers seat for early selection.

Both missed round one after solid pre seasons didn't they?

I'm hoping for a bunch of games for McAsey up forward and down back. His composure and kicking was a bit off in round 1 but hoping he can be one to take big marks consistently.

Meanwhile in the real world:

You still have to have a mix of kids and experienced. Wont do the kids any good to get smashed very week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back