Coaching Staff Former Coach Ben "Truck" Rutten - Sacked for real this time - 21/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Lloyd just said on footy classified that he didn’t attend the jumper presentation because he wasn’t asked. Each player got to pick who presented their jumper and Hurley was too unwell to attend.

Caro mentioned that someone told her that Lloyd will be back at the club in a couple of days. Lloyd didn’t deny it. Something planned for the pre game?

Lloyd just said on footy classified that he didn’t attend the jumper presentation because he wasn’t asked. Each player got to pick who presented their jumper and Hurley was too unwell to attend.

Caro mentioned that someone told her that Lloyd will be back at the club in a couple of days. Lloyd didn’t deny it. Something planned for the pre game?
Given we are playing the Hawkes, I can only imagine he is going to do a re-enactment of when Sewell hit Lloyd's body with his head that time.

Removing the obvious choices (Jobe, James, Tim etc): If you could choose any past player to present you a jumper, who would it be?

Daisy Williams for me.

Removing the obvious choices (Jobe, James, Tim etc): If you could choose any past player to present you a jumper, who would it be?

Daisy Williams for me.
David Hille

We’re shooting him out of a cannon for being such a clod

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Daisy Williams for me.
Max Crow.

His post game press conference was an acceptable one 7/10. Some real easy questions, trying to sell a positive message, named a few players, acknowledged some short falls in the game mainly work rate in the second half. All standard stuff he learnt in media conference school.

But this game at least had some positives to talk about i.e. the 2nd qtr and a few individual players.

He claimed they got 'too cute'. lol If he was honest he got out coached in the 2nd half by a fair margin by one of the games best ever. Thats ok...for now.

But the pressure is building already. His team should of won, enjoying the glow of victory, give members something to enjoy and enter into round 2 with less pressure.

But not now. Next week he plays a top 4 team in Port interstate. Ouch.

Does Rutten continue on this path he is trying to implement? We lost to another bottom 4 team. Against a top 4 team it could be an annihilation. Last time we played Port was when Stewart went back I think. There was a huge defensive mindset from the whole team. Pure survival mode. Is that how Rutten will play this game again?

Flip flop between weeks with game style? Or will it be a permanent flop? Follow up games are the Saints, Swans interstate, Lions, Pies. Thats two definite losses. The other two we won't be going in to those games as favourites.

What will Ben Rutten do? Continue his attempt to build and develop his young team, but face a possible sole destroying loss? Or go into job/reputation conservation mode and be defensive and limit the carnage?

Yes. Reactionary changes week to week will get us where?

I hope he does too, but what if we get belted by 15 goals against Port. This team is well known for being mentally weak. Is well known for a lack of leadership and to many selfish players. For those there last night, how much finger pointing and bickering amongst players was occurring? I can't recall seeing any watching on tv.

A huge loss could derail chances of wins against the Swans and Pies. Where as honourable losses to Port and the Lions could instil some confidence and maintain some unity.

He claimed they got 'too cute'. lol If he was honest he got out coached in the 2nd half by a fair margin by one of the games best ever. Thats ok...for now.
We definitely got too cute. Overconfident after the second quarter and start doing the dinky little kicks and silly decision making, they weren’t playing hard and fast with pinpoint precision, instead kicking straight to the opponent as often as not. It was something I commented on last night when things went to s**t in the third quarter - good that Rutten saw it that way too.

The other side of it is that the structures also went out the window, whether that’s a few players ignoring what they’re supposed to be doing and the coach not reading the riot act at 3QT or if it’s just not a situation they’ve coached much (last 5 minutes, up by a point)....

Either way if you’re under pressure to make a quick decision in traffic it helps to know the guy who is supposed to be at 5 o’clock 5 metres away is actually there to receive your look away handball. Same thing if they’re coming out of defence and having three Hawks on the wing waiting to play keepings off with Neddy Cahill.

Didn’t see anything like that in the first half but the second half they were almost constantly out of position and got themselves into trouble in every part of the ground except deep in defence (which had its own errors and resulted in being consistently out-marked by McEvoy).

Does Rutten continue on this path he is trying to implement?
How would he know the path he is trying to implement is bad if we’ve played one game and didn’t actually execute it properly?

The club lacks leadership both on and off-field from the top down and on every level. Ruttens appointment is yet another by-product of that and he should perform accordingly - unless in the unlikely event he is the next Sheedy and can buck decade long trends of ego and incompetence by a combination of stealth and brilliance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back