Coaching Staff Former Coach Ben "Truck" Rutten - Sacked for real this time - 21/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Rutten said something interesting about Walla in the press conference. It was something along the line of he's a natural footballer and his tackling and pressure is what really gives the team a lift but it's great to have the class to finish it in front of goal as well.

But then he said something like as a coach with a natural footballer his job is to get out of the road and let Walla do what he does. And that made me wonder, Walla seemed to be overthinking it a lot last year. He even posted on twitter something in response to criticism about not being selfish enough to kick the goal (which then led to a turnover iirc) that he was doing what he was told to do as part of playing his role for the team. I think he also made his account private because of the amount of s**t he was copping.

Given that Rutten is more of a structural coach and Woosha is more of an empowerment sort of coach, and with all of that stuff from Brasher about all of that last year, it is interesting that Rutten seems capable (and allowed) to adapt his coaching to nurture these sorts of players who do need to be more empowered to play on instinct.

Every single week, I'm more and more convinced that he's our next Premiership coach.

Long way to go obviously, but he just hasn't put a foot wrong.
Even when he has put a foot wrong he seems to actually learn(ings) from it. It's hard not to get excited when it's the coaching and not just the individual players that looks to be of high standard.

Rutten said something interesting about Walla in the press conference. It was something along the line of he's a natural footballer and his tackling and pressure is what really gives the team a lift but it's great to have the class to finish it in front of goal as well.

But then he said something like as a coach with a natural footballer his job is to get out of the road and let him do what he does. And that made me wonder, Walla seemed to be overthinking it a lot last year. He even posted on twitter something in response to criticism about not being selfish enough to kick the goal (which then led to a turnover iirc) that he was doing what he was told to do as part of playing his role for the team. I think he also made his account private because of the amount of sh*t he was copping.

Given that Rutten is more of a structural coach and Woosha is more of an empowerment sort of coach, and with all of that stuff from Brasher about all of that last year, it is interesting that Rutten seems capable (and allowed) to adapt his coaching to nurture these sorts of players who do need to be more empowered to play on instinct.
Yeah that was after the Geelong game last year. Really felt for Walla and he absolutely didn't deserve to cop so much flak for trying to get Mozzie into the game early.

On Pixel 3 using BigFooty.com mobile app

But then he said something like as a coach with a natural footballer his job is to get out of the road and let him do what he does. And that made me wonder, Walla seemed to be overthinking it a lot last year. He even posted on twitter something in response to criticism about not being selfish enough to kick the goal (which then led to a turnover iirc) that he was doing what he was told to do as part of playing his role for the team. I think he also made his account private because of the amount of sh*t he was copping.

I think the good coaches are the ones who know how to get the message they need, across to the players, in a way that suits the individual.

Tippungwuti is probably our best kick for goal, so he's the one that you want to be saying "if you're in range, don't think, kick it".

That Amazon series was interesting because you could see how a Hardwick or Dew delivered their message in such a clear and concise way, whilst Cameron used a lot of words to say very little.

Clarkson would be another interesting one to see behind closed doors, he's been able to get players to play to their strengths over a long period of time, even with the limited list they now have.

I get the sense Worsfold might have been a Cameron type, where players didn't necessarily understand exactly what it was they should be doing at any given moment in time.

Collingwood has had issues with this under Buckley, a few years back you could actually see them having to constantly stop and think about what they should be doing. Whereas a Hawthorn or Richmond at their peak, played to a system, and executed it instinctively because the players had very clear, simple expectations.

I think the good coaches are the ones who know how to get the message they need, across to the players, in a way that suits the individual.

Tippungwuti is probably our best kick for goal, so he's the one that you want to be saying "if you're in range, don't think, kick it".

That Amazon series was interesting because you could see how a Hardwick or Dew delivered their message in such a clear and concise way, whilst Cameron used a lot of words to say very little.

Clarkson would be another interesting one to see behind closed doors, he's been able to get players to play to their strengths over a long period of time, even with the limited list they now have.

I get the sense Worsfold might have been a Cameron type, where players didn't necessarily understand exactly what it was they should be doing at any given moment in time.

Collingwood has had issues with this under Buckley, a few years back you could actually see them having to constantly stop and think about what they should be doing. Whereas a Hawthorn or Richmond at their peak, played to a system, and executed it instinctively because the players had very clear, simple expectations.
Sheeds' greatest strength I think was individualising the way he coached each player. Lots of stories of him manipulating players to get them in the right frame of mind to perform. But that was a different era, of course. Now we're into structures and systems and it's become a whole of club thing to design the system suit the players you have and recruit the players you need to suit that system, it's a lot more than psychology now.

Sheeds' greatest strength I think was individualising the way he coached each player. Lots of stories of him manipulating players to get them in the right frame of mind to perform. But that was a different era, of course. Now we're into structures and systems and it's become a whole of club thing to design the system suit the players you have and recruit the players you need to suit that system, it's a lot more than psychology now.

The old "give em a rev up at half time" is gone, but the fundamental of having to tailor the message to get each player to understand what's expected of them, and how to motivate them is more important than ever.

It's great to see a sustainable path to goal. Relying on pressure, forward half turnovers and repeat entries is far more sustainable than relying on HBFs.
Rutten is probably the most creative coach we've had since Sheedy. Isn't afraid to give our younger players big responsibilities and isn't afraid to make permanent positional changes. You can tell he understands the modern game and understands our list.

let’s not sully the thread of the great Ben Rutten with this petty carry on!

I work in an industry that has big ego's that talk a lot of s**t that many consume happily with out question but at the end of the day nothing changes. It stays as dysfunctional as ever. Management collects their big pay checks then sail away in the mega-yachts and its the long term employees that always pays the price. The whole place continues to exists despite itself.

My thinking about the Essendon Football club has evolved to think them as the same. I don't need to recite the last 20 years of history about this club. Most of us know about its consistent failings.

So when it comes to questioning decisions and appointments I admit, Im very harsh. I believe things only when I see it. I don't care for media releases or surveys or virtue signalling or whatever marketing piece of crap that is invented next.

I am who I am because I have seen and heard too much balderdash over the years. (And here I am writing exactly that)

I desperately want to highlight our win/loss record so far this year. I want to highlight the two heavy losses too. I could continue to be a harsh critic and highlight numerous shortcomings. But that would be lazy tbh.

For a long time the Essendon list has been considered more valuable looking at each player individually then as a whole team.

But it feels something has changed this year. Am I starting to see what Rutten and co are trying to build? I dare say I am.

Despite my harsh criticism of the process of appointing Rutten, I need to concede that the club could be on the right path...finally.

This shouldn't mean we dismiss all criticism of Ben Rutten and the club. I know its a long pathway back and there will be many ups and downs. But I feel there should be more ups then downs from now on. I hope so anyway. Im on board again.

Thanks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I work in an industry that has big ego's that talk a lot of sh*t that many consume happily with out question but at the end of the day nothing changes. It stays as dysfunctional as ever. Management collects their big pay checks then sail away in the mega-yachts and its the long term employees that always pays the price. The whole place continues to exists despite itself.

My thinking about the Essendon Football club has evolved to think them as the same. I don't need to recite the last 20 years of history about this club. Most of us know about its consistent failings.

So when it comes to questioning decisions and appointments I admit, Im very harsh. I believe things only when I see it. I don't care for media releases or surveys or virtue signalling or whatever marketing piece of crap that is invented next.

I am who I am because I have seen and heard too much balderdash over the years. (And here I am writing exactly that)

I desperately want to highlight our win/loss record so far this year. I want to highlight the two heavy losses too. I could continue to be a harsh critic and highlight numerous shortcomings. But that would be lazy tbh.

For a long time the Essendon list has been considered more valuable looking at each player individually then as a whole team.

But it feels something has changed this year. Am I starting to see what Rutten and co are trying to build? I dare say I am.

Despite my harsh criticism of the process of appointing Rutten, I need to concede that the club could be on the right path...finally.

This shouldn't mean we dismiss all criticism of Ben Rutten and the club. I know its a long pathway back and there will be many ups and downs. But I feel there should be more ups then downs from now on. I hope so anyway. Im on board again.

Thanks.

It seems this way.

Just quickly, I don't think there is anything but harsh criticism for the way in which Rutten was appointed. How could there be anything else?

But footy was run for 120 odd years with little more than appointing coaches on the say so of someone, it's probably been that way until much more recently. It's resulted in premiership dynasties and huge droughts.

The appointment can have been a debacle, based on how a professional organisation ought to be run, but the same process could have stumbled onto the right guy. The outcome would be more to do with luck.

Video of his appearance on 360 now on the club website;

Bit of waffle about Anzac Day as his first Anzac Day as coach and dealing with the build up etc.

Parish as a pure midfielder.
Rutten: Outstanding performance, right from the start contributing. One of the more well-rounded games you'll see from any midfielder. His preparation over the summer, got his body to new levels, his running, capable of playing the role for longer, and injuries have given him opportunities. Parish understands he's had to play some different roles at different times, but seems to be relishing the extra responsibility in the midfield.

Injuries are heightened?
Rutten: Seems that way a little bit at the moment, not sure the cause, a few on the injury list we'd like to be playing, impact and soft-tissue. Hard to pin point. The most important thing is to get the best players playing as often as we can. Whatever has to happen it should be paramount.
Fagan: Game goes longer with changes to the man on the mark and interchange reduced, 130-140 minutes instead of 120 because of more scoring dragging quarters out to 30-35 minutes. Something about proprioception (ability to bounce when they fall?) Potentially cutting quarters to 18 minutes.

Hurley?
- Don't have a date on him at the moment, main focus over the last month/6 weeks is about his general health. Improving all the time, started on crutches, then one crutch, walking freely, then up and down stairs, not running yet, lost a lot of muscle tone around his glutes and quads, premature to put a date on him.

Francis?
- Had a scan, severe ankle sprain but nothing more than that. Hopeful to get him up this week.

Laverde? Whose idea to send him back?
- We floated it with Jayden at the end of last year, look at Jayden he has good attributes athletically to be a really good key defender so we floated it with him last year, played junior footy in defence, spent the summer training there with James Stewart who also made the move there and were pleased with how he was tracking until he got injured. With what we saw against Collingwood suddenly yeah. Took on some extra responsibility and did a really good job (against Mihocek with Ridley and Francis out). 5 games as a defender...

What happened last year? Did you throw all of their names up and reassess? (Re: lots of players changing positions)
- We always probably assessing our list and where we can get some advantages, are all our players developing at the rate we want them to, and where are the holes, the best place to find players is on your list. Back end of last year, Hurley, Hooker, towards the end of their years, backfill those positions with players on our list.

Subs? Debutants? senior players? Strategy?
- Can't premeditate it, what we've used it for someone who has a bit of versatility in his game.
- When Francis came off, we had Zaharakis his ability to play in multiple positions would be beneficial for us, so he played at half-back and he hasn't played or trained in that position for a couple of years. Considered moving Hooker back but that would upset two lines, so we tried David back and see how he settled.

Covid lockdown in Perth, is there a blueprint if you end up in a hub with not a lot of notice?
- Just have to be flexible and adapt, will probably happen again.

Video of his appearance on 360 now on the club website;

Bit of waffle about Anzac Day as his first Anzac Day as coach and dealing with the build up etc.

Parish as a pure midfielder.
Rutten: Outstanding performance, right from the start contributing. One of the more well-rounded games you'll see from any midfielder. His preparation over the summer, got his body to new levels, his running, capable of playing the role for longer, and injuries have given him opportunities. Parish understands he's had to play some different roles at different times, but seems to be relishing the extra responsibility in the midfield.

Injuries are heightened?
Rutten: Seems that way a little bit at the moment, not sure the cause, a few on the injury list we'd like to be playing, impact and soft-tissue. Hard to pin point. The most important thing is to get the best players playing as often as we can. Whatever has to happen it should be paramount.
Fagan: Game goes longer with changes to the man on the mark and interchange reduced, 130-140 minutes instead of 120 because of more scoring dragging quarters out to 30-35 minutes. Something about proprioception (ability to bounce when they fall?) Potentially cutting quarters to 18 minutes.

Hurley?
- Don't have a date on him at the moment, main focus over the last month/6 weeks is about his general health. Improving all the time, started on crutches, then one crutch, walking freely, then up and down stairs, not running yet, lost a lot of muscle tone around his glutes and quads, premature to put a date on him.

Francis?
- Had a scan, severe ankle sprain but nothing more than that. Hopeful to get him up this week.

Laverde? Whose idea to send him back?
- We floated it with Jayden at the end of last year, look at Jayden he has good attributes athletically to be a really good key defender so we floated it with him last year, played junior footy in defence, spent the summer training there with James Stewart who also made the move there and were pleased with how he was tracking until he got injured. With what we saw against Collingwood suddenly yeah. Took on some extra responsibility and did a really good job (against Mihocek with Ridley and Francis out). 5 games as a defender...

What happened last year? Did you throw all of their names up and reassess?
- We always probably assessing our list and where we can get some advantages, are all our players developing at the rate we want them to, and where are the holes, the best place to find players is on your list. Back end of last year, Hurley, Hooker, towards the end of their years, backfill those positions with players on our list.

Subs? Debutants? senior players? Strategy?
- Can't premeditate it, what we've used it for someone who has a bit of versatility in his game.
- When Francis came off, we had Zaharakis his ability to play in multiple positions would be beneficial for us, so he played at half-back and he hasn't played or trained in that position for a couple of years. Considered moving Hooker back but that would upset two lines, so we tried David back and see how he settled.

Covid lockdown in Perth, is there a blueprint if you end up in a hub with not a lot of notice?
- Just have to be flexible and adapt, will probably happen again.
nice one!

there’s a bit also in this article about Laverne which touches on list management and why Laverne and Stewart have gone to defence. a really pragmatic and realistic approach that is a pleasant departure from what essendon would usually do.

I’m a big fan of Rutten so far

I had my reservations about Truck but the more you see and hear from him, he is clear decisive about what he wants the group to be.

The handover last year was a mess the more you think about it but alas, we are where we are. Hoping he can continue to develop and grow with the group and not stagnate like many have before him.

I like him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nice one!

there’s a bit also in this article about Laverne which touches on list management and why Laverne and Stewart have gone to defence. a really pragmatic and realistic approach that is a pleasant departure from what essendon would usually do.

I’m a big fan of Rutten so far

Shirley it was just a matter of Laverne getting a good run at it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back