Injury Fremantle 2023 Injury Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The Peel coach was quoted as saying Treacy went to hospital, so 2 and 2 = ankle or leg fracture and out for the season unfortunately.
Not nessicarily. Could be a nice clean break high in a toe bone. That'd be less than two months. Any pinnable breaks low in the leg might be less than three months too.

Lets face though given how long he'll be off running it'll likely mean he won't be making fully effective contributions at top level due to lost condition.

The Peel coach was quoted as saying Treacy went to hospital, so 2 and 2 = ankle or leg fracture and out for the season unfortunately.

If that's the case, that it's a fracture, then it was poor form by the medicos allowing him to walk off I would've thought. Or don't the WAFL clubs/grounds have stretchers anymore?

If that's the case, that it's a fracture, then it was poor form by the medicos allowing him to walk off I would've thought. Or don't the WAFL clubs/grounds have stretchers anymore?
If it was a stress fracture it must have already been there and it was aggravated during the game. Otherwise it's not a stress fracture its a straight up back fracture.

Professional athletes will play, stand and walk, under immense pain. I wouldn't have been surprised if Fyfe had played in the grand final after he cracked his leg - it would have cemented his place in the hard nut gallery of the AFL to win a norm smith medal with a broken leg the week after winning the brownlow.

And we all remember Barlow getting to his feet after the incident.

Every single person who has played sport has had a coach tell them to walk it off and almost always it does get better, sometimes if you can move you can mentally move past how it hurts too.

Never question the toughness of these men. And don't presume the medical staff have x-ray vision to tell that the weight bearing player has an injury that shouldn't be weight bearing.

There's a story of a baseball player with a broken ankle. Subes broke his leg and could walk on it - all depends what was injured.

All true. But these players are expensive assets and we need to do all we can to maintain their health and fitness. Yes it’s tough to run from the ground with an injury, but it’s not clever if you exacerbate it.

That’s one of the reasons I suspect soccer players are often stretchered off for seemingly innocuous incidents. They’re doing all they can to put them in cotton wool before they understand the extent of the injury.

I’ll never forget the stupidity in putting Connor Blakely back on after he did his shoulder, only for it to pop out again. Heath Chapman too.

Heath Chapman (hamstring) – 1-2 weeks
Nathan O’Driscoll (foot) – TBA
Josh Treacy (ankle) – TBA
Blake Acres (hamstring) – TBA
Sam Switkowski (back) – TBA
Jye Amiss (kidney) - inactive

Saying hopefully Treacy available in a few weeks

Yeah I find it hard to believe that they can't put a timeframe on a single one of these players. Switta I get, but Acres was running with no strapping. Surely you can sus out a timeframe from that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Professional athletes will play, stand and walk, under immense pain. I wouldn't have been surprised if Fyfe had played in the grand final after he cracked his leg - it would have cemented his place in the hard nut gallery of the AFL to win a norm smith medal with a broken leg the week after winning the brownlow.

And we all remember Barlow getting to his feet after the incident.

Every single person who has played sport has had a coach tell them to walk it off and almost always it does get better, sometimes if you can move you can mentally move past how it hurts too.

Never question the toughness of these men. And don't presume the medical staff have x-ray vision to tell that the weight bearing player has an injury that shouldn't be weight bearing.

There's a story of a baseball player with a broken ankle. Subes broke his leg and could walk on it - all depends what was injured.
Yes tough guys.
I remember the great Stephen Michael being asked if he had ever played injured, He replied yes many times. Asked why he didn't miss games the great man said, Mal Brown told me champions play with injuries.
Then there was the Pommie wicket keeper , forget his name, played with a broken arm to keep the Aussies at bay in a test match.

4 best 22 out is the pits. Not ideal.
Don't really agree, only marginal gains between the injured and their replacement.
Freddy plays well in Switta's position, Acres is a loss but we'll find a way to cover, Chapman while best 22 can be covered well, and Drisco is fringe best 22.

If the four missing were Darcy, Pearce, Lobb, and Brayshaw you'd have a better point to make here.

Anyway, this update is much better than I expected.

Yeah I find it hard to believe that they can't put a timeframe on a single one of these players. Switta I get, but Acres was running with no strapping. Surely you can sus out a timeframe from that.
We complained when they took a guess and got it wrong, now we complain when they say there isn't enough information for a solid timeframe.
They will put TBA when the best and worst case scenarios are far apart, e.g. They won't say 2-8 weeks, which would be the case with some of our TBA. The fact is you can't tell how they will progress with recovery from a scan. Every player heals differently, and every player approaches their recovery in their own way. You can only put a real time frame on them when they get back to training and reconditioning.

Separate unofficial updates have been provided on all of them anyway. Best case scenario is all TBAs will be back within a month.

Don't really agree, only marginal gains between the injured and their replacement.
Freddy plays well in Switta's position, Acres is a loss but we'll find a way to cover, Chapman while best 22 can be covered well, and Drisco is fringe best 22.

If the four missing were Darcy, Pearce, Lobb, and Brayshaw you'd have a better point to make here.

Anyway, this update is much better than I expected.
Benefit of having a best 22 more role based then star based is you can easily account 1-2 injuries per position. I'd argue, we have 4 best 25 players out

Remove this Banner Ad

Back