Unbelievable that we got the win. Stoked w the result. Considering
- our conversion was terrible
- their conversion was amazing
- a bunch of bad calls made against us
- poor choices for our back structure
- carrying Ballas
- our poor skills
- Doggies are a good outfit

That said, we get to learn from a loss without having a loss. We have no injuries and can look at what went wrong.

Not sure how some of our posters can put a line through us for having a poor game. A little context shows that we are going along very nicely.

- We are blooding youf
- our experience has shown to be a real asset when it gets tight
- We have seen our best and our worst and we are still getting results
- PLENTY of upside in our fwd line
- The other top clubs have been scalped when they had poor games
- we have depth and options to change up

Was an interesting hit out. We get a lot more than the 4 points this week :)

Our normally excellent 2 way running was exposed a little yesterday with some really good counters by the doggies. I think our forwards shoulder some of the blame, the ball was rebounding out of the forward line way too easily through lack of crumbers and a few ruck infringements. I need to watch the second half again but I suspect sherro was caught out a bit in no mans land.

If we get a break on a team Id like to see Ballas get a run in the middle in amongst some heavy traffic to get him to keep his feet.

Bulldogs are a top 8 team this year. Too beat the, on their home deck when they're still in some good early season form is great no matter which way you look at it. The players supposedly down on form (ie Suban, Ballas, etc) are still playing to their role and helping us win games. It's why we'll keep winning games all year. I'm confident they'll work their way into form as the season progresses in time for finals.

The only one I'm genuinely worried about is Taberner. Guys drops way too many marks, and allows his defender to impact play too much.

I had another look at Suban's first half..he's really good early on. Provides a quick but penetrating release valve kicks off half back and similar under pressure long kicks to Pav. Has a few snaps for goal and is involved in a lot of tackling as well so hes covering a lot of territory. If he fades later on he can be the logical sub out (or sub on) but i wouldn't drop him.

Don't be worried a bout Tabs..his first half was outstanding..gave Murphy a bath and took a heap of marks especially when were coming out of defence up the wing..

Watched the replay again last night and calmed down a bit. Some thoughts:

- Agree with the consensus that it was Pav, Fyfe and Johnson pulled us over the line. Honourable mentions to D. Pearce, Neale and Walters who kept us in it.

- Think with Barlow it's more the case of Fyfe's output skyrocketing even further (if that's possible), plus with Neale getting a lot of the footy as well as Mundy and both Pearce's he hasn't had as many opportunities. However he probably could be a little more effective with the 20-25 disposals he does gather each week.

- Our malfunctioning backline will take care of itself by next week; our forward line however needs some tweaking. Some cool-headedness by Walters (finally) in the last quarter showed that it can work... his best moment wasn't either of his goals but his unselfish pop-kick to Pav in the last.

I think people criticizing Sandi's fumbled marks forget that he had Bulldogs defenders using his back as a ladder to the moon (and getting away with it). + he took a couple of inside 50's that resulted in a D. Pearce goal (if the big man marks it 30 metres out he will giantball it over to Pearce 60 metres away for a left-kick snap).

I just watched the replay, trying to work out what is going on defensively on TV is never easy but a few things stood out:
Crameri did a good job at getting Ibbo as far away from the play as possible. Other coaches will take note.
Sutcliffe let's his opponent get goal side way too much to be a good defender. How is Brady Grey tracking?
Remember when MJ only used to point when he had stuffed up and wanted to blame someone else? Nowadays his pointing actually means something. Thank christ we had him today.
I noticed this whilst at the game and I'm not sure why he was doing it either. Sutty also had some really poor disposal decisions that resulted in goals. I guess on the bright side we are 7-0 and we have some players (Sutty, Ballas, Walters) yet to hit their known straps.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can see it. He isn't anywhere near as good but played a similar role on the weekend for WCE and did it well. Got some upside too. Would be in the top bunch of WCE players for sure.
Brad Wira kept saying on ABC radio. 'any chance the suns could put someone on him'

Sutty being got over the back - funny you mention that, in the Melb game RTB spat the chewy in the box when Garlett got Sutty under the ball. To see it happen again, would not surprise to see Sutty pay the penalty this week

Sutty being got over the back - funny you mention that, in the Melb game RTB spat the chewy in the box when Garlett got Sutty under the ball. To see it happen again, would not surprise to see Sutty pay the penalty this week
I still think we are looking for one more defender. Sutty wants to run and carry I reckon

I noticed this whilst at the game and I'm not sure why he was doing it either. Sutty also had some really poor disposal decisions that resulted in goals. I guess on the bright side we are 7-0 and we have some players (Sutty, Ballas, Walters) yet to hit their known straps.

I still think we are looking for one more defender. Sutty wants to run and carry I reckon

Yep spot on. You could definitely see the impact of the backline mix we had. Sheridan and Sutty are running mids, having to learn to be defenders, and with Pearce in game 2, we definitely got a bit disorganised. Thanks fahk for MJ.

Duffield has improved his one on one defending, but is a little in the same boat as Sheridan and Sutty. Just seems that these are the available spots in the 22 for our up and comers, so defenders they are (for now)

All of which suggests to me that if B Grey is going as well as purported (haven't seen him myself), he might have a future as our true shutdown mid/small back. Our Nick Smith, with Sutty and Sheridan sliding up the ground.

Yep spot on. You could definitely see the impact of the backline mix we had. Sheridan and Sutty are running mids, having to learn to be defenders, and with Pearce in game 2, we definitely got a bit disorganised. Thanks fahk for MJ.

Duffield has improved his one on one defending, but is a little in the same boat as Sheridan and Sutty. Just seems that these are the available spots in the 22 for our up and comers, so defenders they are (for now)

All of which suggests to me that if B Grey is going as well as purported (haven't seen him myself), he might have a future as our true shutdown mid/small back. Our Nick Smith, with Sutty and Sheridan sliding up the ground.
I think we will get some idea of how close Brady is to playing that role if we knew why he played so poorly on Shane Yarren. I think he was unwell around that time, so I don't know if that was part of the reason. If he was just beaten then he has a bit more learning to do.

I can see it. He isn't anywhere near as good but played a similar role on the weekend for WCE and did it well. Got some upside too. Would be in the top bunch of WCE players for sure.

And he begged us to take him, but we told him to look up the road for opportunities. Unfortunate in hindsight.

+ves:
4 points
no injuries
still not playing our best footy and winning
Really pushed u sin the latter part of the game, and (a few) our leaders stood up

General Jonno - just controlled the backline.
Fyfe - Got off, and still shows he can turn a game on his own boot ( and drilled 2 x set shots! )
A.Pearce - Showed so much for his 2nd game.
Son-Son - Less ducking and playing for frees and well well well, played his best game for the year
Structure - worked.
Tabs - Didnt have a blinder, but presented and presented. He was unlucky, could have kicked the sealer for us if he got paid the free he was due.

-ves:
Balla - I know he does heaps around the ground, but is that enough when he is burning goal opportunities left right and centre? No he shouldn't be dropped, but he needs to find form
Umpiring - WTF

=ives
Suban. not sure. Up and Down. Hard nosed, but does he do enough?
Duff Man - again Sub? IMO, that was a fail on strategy. Glad Sherro got a full game though
Barlow - cant decide on him atm. Is he down of form, or just fallen down the midfield pecking order, so less opportunity for him to impact? Neale has gone past IMO. Barlow on equal footing with D.Pearce and C.Pearce?

I think we got a look at a possible back line, post Macca and Dawson, and TBH, i was somewhat impressed, but A.Pearce needs more opportunity to develop. He needs to play 5 -6+ more games this year. Hopefully we could run him against a team with a good Forward line, but not such a good Mid/Back, so his in-experience could be covered? Maybe WCE, but they are playing good footy, and we need to rest Macca for interstate trips. Maybe Richmond Rnd 17, GWS Rnd 18 (home), SKd Rd 19? All winnable games with Macca gone. A.Pearce might be torn a new one by Cameron but it would be a good exp, and someone he would need to play on in the post Macca world. GWS might be too bigger risk. and it depends on how we are sitting leading into the game.

And just a comment on the Bullies board. I woudn't post there out of risk of kicking when they are down, but seriously, they thought they got the worst of the umps and Fyfe is a dog? If Fyfe wanted to hurt the guy, he could have dropped the shoulder and buried him into the stands. I actually quite like the Bullies, but i could bring myself to contribute to that discussion. Arcassius clearly has a better temperament than i do. Maybe its the lack of sleep?

Barlow played a lot forward. If he is not injured/unwell then he has slipped down the pecking order. Nice to have him to go too in the last, but he stuffed up really

Remove this Banner Ad

Back