Rumour Fremantle Dropping ISC?

Remove this Banner Ad

It's 2017 and Freo are still with ISC. Apparently until the end of the 2020 season.

I wish that the dark purple was much more available commercially for men and women for regular clothing. Not only used by a footy club.
Not even Viv Sports (SA), Sports Trend (Melbourne), Madcore (Qld), or Crown King Sports (NSW) can match the colour shade properly. With a Pantone colour chart, using Freo apparel as a colour guide. PMS 275, 276, or 2766.

Some of Freo's mechandise, such as the scarves have that horrible grape (or merlot grape) purple, or an entirely lighter purple shade altogether.
The purple spectrum is all over the place.

The issue with the colour matching is the texture / weave of each fabric. With different fabrics being used across the range (wool / polyester etc) you will never get an exact match.

Different types of polyester (thickness / weaves) effects the sublimation process in particular. Dyed fabrics (very expensive due to MOQ) will get very close but there will always be a variance.

The ISC products will be the closest to each other but all the cheap "official AFL merchandise" crap is generally all over the place.

The ISC stuff is straight trash.
The scarves in particular are awful quality & getting worse by the year.
The caps are atrociously bad fitting too, I'm just glad to see some NE stuff in there at all. More sizes you would think not too much to ask though!

I'd love to see us with Nike, wouldn't mind a return to Adidas, but don't hugely fancy Puma... their stuff is pretty derivative and lame. I personally rate New Balance a bit too, some of their Dees gear was simplistic, well fitting, and just stuck to the basic elements. I don't mind their marl run-out tops and training stuff either, something a bit different but still recognisable.

I just wish a manufacturer would realise how unique purple is and how well it works with white. You don't need swirls and bars all over the place to demonstrate anything: the brand sticks out by keeping it classic and easy going on the eye. ISC tend to do okay with this actually but the longer they stay on, the more they're going to try and bring in superfluous elements to differentiate it from previous merch.

I just want to see a green jumper come back! I'm happy Freo don't bring in a couple or three new jumpers every single season. But at the same time I'd like to see us trot out in something different every couple of years; keep it fresh.

I just want to see a green jumper come back! I'm happy Freo don't bring in a couple or three new jumpers every single season. But at the same time I'd like to see us trot out in something different every couple of years; keep it fresh.
I hated it when we played in it but now after 20 years has past would like to see it come back as a once off. Reckon they would sell a few too and it's something at least with history instead of the clash junk made up every year by most teams for $.

I'd love to see us with Nike, wouldn't mind a return to Adidas, but don't hugely fancy Puma... their stuff is pretty derivative and lame

Puma has done a great job with Richmond's new guernsey I reckon. Back to black and yellow rather than charcoal and mustard.

Puma has done a great job with Richmond's new guernsey I reckon. Back to black and yellow rather than charcoal and mustard.
That shouldn't be hard to do, though.

The training gear sucks. As an Arsenal fan it is hard to see gradients and blocks of random ugly colours rather than simple, classic designs of Nike.

Rumours abound that ISC are going under. Essendon was first out of the blocks announcing Under Armour as their new apparel provider. Wonder who we've lined up.

Rumours abound that ISC are going under. Essendon was first out of the blocks announcing Under Armour as their new apparel provider. Wonder who we've lined up.

Not what I am hearing. They are reducing their pro teams to remain sustainable. O'Neills picking up the Knights for instance.

They have a big focus on grass roots, they just paid the massive licensing fee to keep the AFLNSW/ACT licence while X-Blades chose not to.

Take from that what you will. I think all apparel brands are getting concerned over what pro teams are demanding and you will see more and more retail focused brands (Puma / Under Armour / Cotton On) using Pro Teams as a promotional write off rather than core business.

That's interesting as they just signed with Essendon a season or 2 ago on some massive long term deal.

I wonder which side took the first step in rescinding that contract.

I have noticed ISC sign several big clubs over the course of the last 3 seasons - maybe they've over extended and are just pulling back.

As a side note, St Kilda are back with ISC for the 2020 season after taking a break from them for a few seasons.

That's interesting as they just signed with Essendon a season or 2 ago on some massive long term deal.

I wonder which side took the first step in rescinding that contract.

I have noticed ISC sign several big clubs over the course of the last 3 seasons - maybe they've over extended and are just pulling back.

As a side note, St Kilda are back with ISC for the 2020 season after taking a break from them for a few seasons.

St Kilda left ISC and announced the new deal with BLK the day before BLK went into administration.

The AFL packaged up Gold Coast, GWS and St Kilda to get them out of trouble.

Jimmy Bartel is a Director of XBlades and GWS.... No conflict of interest there!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No idea why Pies would go with Nike, they have made Carlton some absolute abominations over the past couple of years, Blues are moving to the premium company in Puma to escape Nikes disaster

Find a US Pro/College supplier. That stuff is top notch and the fan apparel is second to none. The fan stuff available by ISC or Playcorp is try-hard at best..

Find a US Pro/College supplier. That stuff is top notch and the fan apparel is second to none. The fan stuff available by ISC or Playcorp is try-hard at best..

US Colleges have 100,000+ stadiums and huge followings.

AFL clubs are demanding north of $1,000,000 a year from apparel companies with a combination of cash and contra. How good can the fan apparel be when you have no margins to olay with?

It's no wonder AFL fan merch is some of the worst getting around.

Essendon signing with Under Armour is a step in the right direction.

US Colleges have 100,000+ stadiums and huge followings.

AFL clubs are demanding north of $1,000,000 a year from apparel companies with a combination of cash and contra. How good can the fan apparel be when you have no margins to olay with?

It's no wonder AFL fan merch is some of the worst getting around.
I used to order uniforms from the US. It's not hard to find a good supplier from there. Agreed on the merchandise though, AFL clubs asking for the world.

I used to order uniforms from the US. It's not hard to find a good supplier from there. Agreed on the merchandise though, AFL clubs asking for the world.

It's not about the supplier. The suppliers can only deliver a product to the quality that the deal allows.

If North Melbourne get $1,000,000 per year, half of which is contra the supplier needs to sell around about $750k of apparel to cover costs.

A small club like them would allow them to sell a Jumper to Rebel Sport for around the $50-$55 mark. Because they are a small club though they may only want 5000 units per year. Extrapolate that yourself and most suppliers need to make big margins on supplied apparel.

I know of 2 manufacturers that make their player issue jumpers in Melbourne at a break even price point knowing that they will get the merchandise from Fiji / Thailand etc for arpund the $7-$9 mark.

Bottom line, AFL clubs do not have the purchasing power of US teams and Colleges.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back