List Mgmt. Fremantle FC Contract List/Depth Chart

Remove this Banner Ad

I have Sheridan, Sutcliffe and perhaps Kirsten in the C list but have the usual high but unfounded levels of confidence that they can be replaced on the A or B lists by blokes like Brayshaw, Cerra, Dixon or others from the recent draft (assumes a 30% strike rate).

One other issue is the one or two season window left for Sandi/Mundy. Their positions will be covered but it takes the total pool of 25 down.
Think list C is harsh on those three. They all clearly have some AFL standard abilities but for whatever reason we just don't see it consistently. Kersten especially has the talent.

Yeah almost put Sandi and Mundy in list C but currently they are both still good so decided not to. Would expect them to retire before they move lists.

would the offer be out to a few others too do you think, Cerra maybe?
Without any clues as to how the club operates behind closed doors, certainly wouldn't be surprised if Cerra gets offered an extra year or two. Daresay with promising Peel form, the likes of Dixon, Crowden and North could get one next season (Hodor got an extension before his Freo debut IIRC)

Agree finals experience is valuable and we have that with Fyfe, Neale, Hills, Walters and Wilson. Don't need to carry players just for that reason.

FTR, I don't hate Sherro and Sutty and hope they come on. At the very least I think they would make very solid 32-35th players on our list.

Yes understand, and your right re their form really would be the determining factor and if we're looking at now regards that then you pretty much have it I think.

Think list C is harsh on those three. They all clearly have some AFL standard abilities but for whatever reason we just don't see it consistently. Kersten especially has the talent.

Yeah almost put Sandi and Mundy in list C but currently they are both still good so decided not to. Would expect them to retire before they move lists.

I guess I answered the question “do I want them in my best 22?” before deciding whether they make the B list. The answer was no.

I think most AFL teams who manage to keep their best 25 players fit and on the park would be playing finals wouldn't they?

Of the new recruits there is an impressive number of them who could be physically ready to debut. Obviously Brayshaw and Cerra come in asap, but Crowden, North, Switkowski, Jones and Banfield could all step up next year I would think. I know we drafted a heap of players but that is still an indication that our recruiting strategy has at least some focus on developed players.

I guess I answered the question “do I want them in my best 22?” before deciding whether they make the B list. The answer was no.
I think the way I thought of list A was, do I want that player in my team to win a GF today? Not so much are they B22? Otherwise we would be overrating the draftees. So I would say that none of those blokes I would feel that good about in a GF tomorrow, but I am happy enough to say they have shown they might have it in them.
I think most AFL teams who manage to keep their best 25 players fit and on the park would be playing finals wouldn't they?

Of the new recruits there is an impressive number of them who could be physically ready to debut. Obviously Brayshaw and Cerra come in asap, but Crowden, North, Switkowski, Jones and Banfield could all step up next year I would think. I know we drafted a heap of players but that is still an indication that our recruiting strategy has at least some focus on developed players.
I don't think Brisbane or Carlton are good enough even with their B22 on the field for 22 games to make finals. At least not without several youngsters stepping up.

The post was more in reference to the fact that our performances have been miles off the last two years and that is consistent with our list profile and injury toll. It also shows that we are maybe closer than some (non Freo) people think to doing alright again. Still very dependant on keeping our good players fit because they depth is youth atm.

Also our recruiting strategy is definitely developing players. We have 6 30+, 14 in the 24-27 range (which includes Sutty, Sherro, Tabs and Kersten) and 24 under 24.

Hey Tayl0r any chance we could get games and average games added into the spreadsheet?

Then how hard would it be to track the average age and games of the 22 we put on the park each week? Or am I asking a bit too much?

Hey Tayl0r any chance we could get games and average games added into the spreadsheet?

Then how hard would it be to track the average age and games of the 22 we put on the park each week? Or am I asking a bit too much?
I've tried to keep it as self managing as possible, the spreadsheet calculates the age itself etc. If there is a way to direct the spreadsheet to seek out the games played information and there is a way to check box select a "current 22" group then it wouldn't be too much work.

But it is me saying that getting up the mountain via the gondola is fine, someone had to build the gondola and I'm not sure I can do that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some of our warriors have already commented on the main board, but this I thought others might be interested in this list profile analysis:

441134_1a9a2ada0e0460f9eb3362166a7d7d38.jpeg

We have the most over 30's but we expect 3 or 4 of them to figure only for Peel this year - quite an unusual scenario.

We're relying on great development to come from that 21-24 bracket but I really think we have relatively hidden gems in the under 21s at the moment - of course they still need to fully realise that potential.

Love that spread of Talent, especially the under 24 year old group. Back in 2008, freo only had 6-7 players in the main squad aged 23 or under.

Our depth chart looks better already with Giro, Banfiled, Nyhuis and Duman likely to be promoted (in my view) at the end of the year. Gives us flexibility in terms of what we do next offseason. Im not sure how contracts work in regard to rookie upgrades, but it could be the case that if Nyhuis and Duman only qualify for similar contract to second year players next year then we could have as many as twelve players on our main list who can only earn the the maximum for a second year player and then any draftees (perhaps as much as seven players) only eligible for first year contracts That gives us huge scope to make a play for a free agent this offseason.

Our depth chart looks better already with Giro, Banfiled, Nyhuis and Duman likely to be promoted (in my view) at the end of the year. Gives us flexibility in terms of what we do next offseason. Im not sure how contracts work in regard to rookie upgrades, but it could be the case that if Nyhuis and Duman only qualify for similar contract to second year players next year then we could have as many as twelve players on our main list who can only earn the the maximum for a second year player and then any draftees (perhaps as much as seven players) only eligible for first year contracts That gives us huge scope to make a play for a free agent this offseason.
Think this is true but I think the only good out of contract WA (can't see us luring a non-WA player of any note) boy this year is Fasolo. Obviously Gov is but lets get real, we aint getting him.

Not sure Freo will upgrade all those players. Maybe the best 2. The reason being is in rebuild mode you look to the draft and trade period. If Freo trade two in as an example and draft 3 to 4 that's 6 senior spots. I highly doubt they'll have moved 10 seniors on at the end of the season.

Duman and Nyhuis will have to really improve

Not sure Freo will upgrade all those players. Maybe the best 2. The reason being is in rebuild mode you look to the draft and trade period. If Freo trade two in as an example and draft 3 to 4 that's 6 senior spots. I highly doubt they'll have moved 10 seniors on at the end of the season.

Duman and Nyhuis will have to really improve
I have high hopes for both Nyhuis and Duman. I actually think both are very good chances to be upgraded with Spurr and Johnson likely to retire in my eyes. Potentially Mundy, Ballantyne, D.Pearce, Suttcliffe, Sheridan, Spurr, Johnson are all chances to be off the list by next season. With decisions pending on Grey and with questions marks over Apeness and Bennell regarding injury. Four upgrades seems a strong possibility to me at this point in time.

I have high hopes for both Nyhuis and Duman. I actually think both are very good chances to be upgraded with Spurr and Johnson likely to retire in my eyes. Potentially Mundy, Ballantyne, D.Pearce, Suttcliffe, Sheridan, Spurr, Johnson are all chances to be off the list by next season. With decisions pending on Grey and with questions marks over Apeness and Bennell regarding injury. Four upgrades seems a strong possibility to me at this point in time.

A lot of ifs

Duman and Nyhais will have to improve

Without any clues as to how the club operates behind closed doors, certainly wouldn't be surprised if Cerra gets offered an extra year or two. Daresay with promising Peel form, the likes of Dixon, Crowden and North could get one next season (Hodor got an extension before his Freo debut IIRC)

I'm only guessing but I'd say Brayshaw and Cerra were both offered extensions, with Brayshaw signing and Cerra declining.

It is only early days in the season, but the reviews from the Sub game have me thinking our depth is looking much better than I expected. The combination of what Banfield and Brayshaw have shown at JLT with how well Crowden, North, Duman and Cerra played against Subi has me reaching the conclusion we will have ready to go players outside our best 22 this year.

Also, great signs of how our 2017 Drafting is shaping up with every draftee showing promise so far. Particularly compared to how woeful the West Coast drafting (2017 draft) looks in comparison.

North shaping as a hidden gem (heard he was brilliant against big bodied experienced Subiaco mids). Really is super important to our depth moving forward.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back