List Mgmt. Fremantle FC Contract List/Depth Chart

Remove this Banner Ad

So he hasn't been bringing the same effort to training as Brayshaw has? That's a concern.
wtf? Why do people immediately assume the worst? "Fyfe hasn't signed within moments of a discussion about his future. He must be leaving!!!". "Neale hasn't signed yet, clearly he wants to go back to his family in SA!"...

Cerra had an interrupted pre-season because of an injury and also missed out on 3 months of fitness work because of dodgy advice from his medicos over East. To compare the situations of Brayshaw and Cerra is ludicrous. We haven't extended Crowden's or Dixon's contracts yet either who have both shown plenty in terms of attitude and early performances at Peel. All these guys are quality individuals, and I don't think it's unrealistic that all three will see contract extension offers during this season but there is no major urgency to lock them in yet.

Can we please at least get through their first season before we start worrying considerably about them leaving when they won't be out of contract until the end of next year at the earliest?

wtf? Why do people immediately assume the worst? "Fyfe hasn't signed within moments of a discussion about his future. He must be leaving!!!". "Neale hasn't signed yet, clearly he wants to go back to his family in SA!"...

Cerra had an interrupted pre-season because of an injury and also missed out on 3 months of fitness work because of dodgy advice from his medicos over East. To compare the situations of Brayshaw and Cerra is ludicrous. We haven't extended Crowden's or Dixon's contracts yet either who have both shown plenty in terms of attitude and early performances at Peel. All these guys are quality individuals, and I don't think it's unrealistic that all three will see contract extension offers during this season but there is no major urgency to lock them in yet.

Can we please at least get through their first season before we start worrying considerably about them leaving when they won't be out of contract until the end of next year at the earliest?

All the talk has been how exciting it has been to get picks 2 and 5 and how much promise they've shown already. Sure it's possible that they offered an extension to Brayshaw and are waiting on Cerra. But I think it's much more likely that both were offered extensions and Cerra decided not to sign yet. Which is fine, 6 months ago he was a high school kid living with Mum and Dad and now he's a professional athlete living thousands of miles from home. It's a lot to absorb and if he plays really well this year it drives up his price so really there's no reason to sign other than giving the club a nice puff piece in the media.

You either offer extensions to both or neither. Otherwise it suggests the club doesn't have confidence in Cerra's ability to succeed. How many years was Morabito on the list with dodgey knees as a top 5 pick, 6 years? If you offer Brayshaw a deal and not Cerra you increase the likelihood of him leaving because of the message it sends.

But I think it's much more likely that both were offered extensions and Cerra decided not to sign yet.
I can almost guarantee that your assumption is wrong. It simply doesn't work like you think it does. Contract negotiations for players are completely independent of each other - what conversations Freo has with Brayshaw and his management have no relationship to those with Cerra and his management. Just because Brayshaw has already signed a contract extension in no way equates to Freo either not rating Cerra or Cerra not wanting to be at Freo long term - that makes no sense. Brayshaw showed he was AFL ready and had an appetite for a longer term contract so was given one. If Cerra was at the same fitness level maybe he'd be debuting round 1, he'd have shown a similar appetite and he'd have signed one as well? Given his injury history I don't think Freo would be in a mad rush but likewise if his management approached them I'm sure they'd be discussing it and keen on getting something done earlier than normal.

As has been shown repeatedly, we really have no idea what goes on with individual contract negotiations. Cerra's management could be within minutes of signing a ten year deal/or not.
What we do know is that the club has shown itself to be good and probably getting better at identifying, selecting and retaining talented footballers.
Along with a lot of other stuff at the club, list management has improved.Probably significantly.
So on the balance of probability;Cerra will be between good and superb and will sign an extension at some stage.

I’m with Dom.

All clubs generally look to extend the contracts of their top 20 picks before there is any exposed AFL form. It’s accepted industry practice and doesn’t put other draftees offside.

In that context, it’s inconceivable that only Brayshaw was offered an extension after only a few short weeks at the club - if so Freo will have absolutely put Cerra and his management offside. Freo will surely be doing everything in its power to ensure that any flight risk with its huge pick 5 investment is not exacerbated. Also, if Brayshaw alone was singled out, every other draftee would have a legitimate beef that they didn’t get offered an extension - draft position is just a number, right?

So I tend to believe Cerra has politely declined an extension offer at this stage and will review once he’s worked out whether the whole caper works for him personally as well as professionally. And that is fine.

All clubs generally look to extend the contracts of their top 20 picks before there is any exposed AFL form. It’s accepted industry practice and doesn’t put other draftees offside.
How many of the top 20 draft picks from last year have signed extensions so far? I'm pretty sure it is just 4 (Rayner, Brayshaw, Dow and LDU) - and they were the top 4 picks. So by your reckoning that leaves 16 players in the top 20 have declined extension offers. Quite a coincidence that the top 4 all accepted and the rest didn't ;) There are draftees debuting this week that haven't been offered extensions yet. Follow the evidence not the conjecture.

How many of the top 20 draft picks from last year have signed extensions so far? I'm pretty sure it is just 4 (Rayner, Brayshaw, Dow and LDU) - and they were the top 4 picks. So by your reckoning that leaves 16 players in the top 20 have declined extension offers. Quite a coincidence that the top 4 all accepted and the rest didn't ;) There are draftees debuting this week that haven't been offered extensions yet. Follow the evidence not the conjecture.

If as Tayl0r suggested Brayshaw's management sought an extension that's the best possible scenario at this point.

If my hypothesis is correct and Brayshaw re-signed and Cerra decided to wait and see then that's fine too. Because he'll probably play a lot of games this year, we'll probably win more than we did last year, we and have a new stadium and state of the art training facilities. That's a lot of boxes ticked as long as he's not too homesick come seasons end.

If your theory is correct that Brayshaw was offered a deal and Cerra wasn't then I hope he doesn't take the snub personally. If he gets a game early in the season and plays well it also drives up his asking price. We could end up paying Cerra considerably more than Brayshaw under that scenario.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t take the general guidance of “top 20” so literally. Obviously the imperative to extend is highest with pick 1 and then weakens as you go down the draft pecking order. I don’t know for sure, but I’m guessing somewhere along the line a pick 20 or so has been extended before exposed form. If that’s only a top 10 phenomenon then so be it.

In 2016 our own Griffin Logue (taken at pick 8) has his contract extended within two weeks of the draft - I think it is reasonable to assume that that initiative was driven by the club rather than Logue’s management. That being the case, do you really think Freo initiated that last year but declined to make an equivalent offer to Cerra (taken at pick 5) this year? Hardly likely imo.

If your theory is correct that Brayshaw was offered a deal and Cerra wasn't then I hope he doesn't take the snub personally. If he gets a game early in the season and plays well it also drives up his asking price. We could end up paying Cerra considerably more than Brayshaw under that scenario.
Lol. I'm sure Cerra is weeping in his bed right now because not only has Brayshaw got an extension but he is also debuting on the weekend. C'mon guys, this isn't playing out in a schoolyard. Cerra was injured and lost 3 months of fitness. That's a huge amount of time to make up for. He knows he's made a mistake due to some dodgy advice. He seems a relatively smart guy so I'm sure he's worked out that he's got to do some extra yards before getting the same opportunities that Andy is getting. And I've watched him at Peel and if that is a guy having a sook then he is hiding it well.

Let's play the hypothetical that he's a big flight risk. Do you think the smart play by the club is: (a) to try and make him sign a contract before he's settled in so you can use it to try and force him to stay; or (b) let him settle in, get used to playing with his teammates, get him excited when he debuts and plays at a brand new stadium, and then ask if he'd be keen on an extension?

I think people need a reality check of where we are at the moment.

We have Sandilands, Mundy, Johnson, D Pearce, Sutcliffe, Sheridan, Spurr, Grey, Ballas, D Pearce on our list.

I do not expect one of them to be on our list in 2020, and more than likely 7 or 8 will be gone at the end of the year.

On top of that we have Apeness, Bennell who have not played for the best part of 2 years, plus we have drafted close to 20 players over the last 2 years and we not began to cut those draftees who have not made it.

We have a very good core of players with Fyfe, Neale, Walters, Hill, Hill, and Blakely who will all be with us for the next 5 years.

Wilson, Ryan, Pearce and Hamling will be a solid back 4 plus a couple of players rotating through there. I would love to add a lock down back pocket (Jetta via FA), if possible.

McCarthy, Walters, maybe Taberner and Dixon will be the future of our forward line. If they all come on we just need a few small forwards and the forward line is set.

We need to be patient, as even though we have turned over 20 players in the last 2 years we still have a lot of dead wood, and a lot of new players.

Like last year, these players - Fyfe, Neale, Walters, Hill, Hill, and Blakely will need to carry the load and should there form drop or they get injured then we will be smashed.

I personally was hoping 2019 would be a good year, but I think we will need to wait until 2020.

I think people need a reality check of where we are at the moment.

We have Sandilands, Mundy, Johnson, D Pearce, Sutcliffe, Sheridan, Spurr, Grey, Ballas, D Pearce on our list.

I do not expect one of them to be on our list in 2020, and more than likely 7 or 8 will be gone at the end of the year.

On top of that we have Apeness, Bennell who have not played for the best part of 2 years, plus we have drafted close to 20 players over the last 2 years and we not began to cut those draftees who have not made it.

We have a very good core of players with Fyfe, Neale, Walters, Hill, Hill, and Blakely who will all be with us for the next 5 years.

Wilson, Ryan, Pearce and Hamling will be a solid back 4 plus a couple of players rotating through there. I would love to add a lock down back pocket (Jetta via FA), if possible.

McCarthy, Walters, maybe Taberner and Dixon will be the future of our forward line. If they all come on we just need a few small forwards and the forward line is set.

We need to be patient, as even though we have turned over 20 players in the last 2 years we still have a lot of dead wood, and a lot of new players.

Like last year, these players - Fyfe, Neale, Walters, Hill, Hill, and Blakely will need to carry the load and should there form drop or they get injured then we will be smashed.

I personally was hoping 2019 would be a good year, but I think we will need to wait until 2020.

Basically agree with everything you said but I am really strong on next year being the first year of real growth. Less deadwood than ever, young team with a good selection of reasonably experienced players real chance of growth at last.

Basically agree with everything you said but I am really strong on next year being the first year of real growth. Less deadwood than ever, young team with a good selection of reasonably experienced players real chance of growth at last.
2019 will be the start of the improvement, 2020 we should be playing finals.

When does Neale become a free agent? Both Port and Adelaide in the window and my feels tell me it will be soon. Port might want a working version of Rockliffe.

When does Neale become a free agent? Both Port and Adelaide in the window and my feels tell me it will be soon. Port might want a working version of Rockliffe.

Too bad for Port. If I had to pick a player right now who loves the club the most it would be Neale.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back