Prediction Future of Josh has gone to the Dogs.

Where's Schack at in 2018?

• Brisbane

Votes: 173 42.3%
  • Other

Votes: 141 34.5%
  • Does anybody even care anymore?

Votes: 95 23.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
and managers talk to clubs daily about what if's. You honestly do not think the lions are not asking Schache's manager about other players he manages.
It is a business.
A lot of times the players really actually know nothing.
Once the manager shops the player around enough to get a idea what they pay. Then they use it for bargaining or a reason to move.
Maybe I misread your post. Thought you were suggesting he should already know, without his manager talking to clubs.

So it comes back to having no one to blame but themselves. If you want to work the clubs and generate big offers then expect the scrutiny that comes with it. Maybe wait until later in the year?

The Fact Josh found himself on a break by round 9 is pretty damning. His Manager has stuffed it.

I just hope it has no lasting effect on Schaches career, either with us or another club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not necessarily. To use the real estate analogy again, if I engage an agent, I don't tell him how to market my property, just get me a good deal. He also doesn't have a lot of control on the message the media put out either. Schache would be under pressure, however it was handled. If he hasn't made a decision, he hasn't made a decision and the speculation and pressure would still exist. Are you suggesting, like Jackess, that he should rush into a choice just to appease fans and media?

Maybe I misread your post. Thought you were suggesting he should already know, without his manager talking to clubs.
We have no idea how it really works.
Is it the manager shopping or are their buyers asking is the player on the market.

As said I assume the lions are asking around for players we like.
The manager might ask the Lions what your looking for $ wise and length before they even go back to the player.
I assume a lot of Managers ask or get ask and not tell the player blow by blow.
They could meet up every few weeks or once a month and get a run down.
The manager might get a list of clubs interested and go to the player.

Without actually being involved not sure who can say how it works.
Different managers will work differently as well.

Maybe you're right and we have misread the whole scenario. Maybe this guy is giving Josh great advice and making sure he is happy with what decision he decides. Maybe you're giving Schache's manager to much credit and perhaps he could see an opportunity to line the pockets of himself and his client and he will do anything in his power to do such.
Maybe. And my point exactly most of the time is; Who the * knows? But whilst people don't know, maybe they shouldn't carry on like children, labelling people as arseholes because they imagine they're doing something criminal.;)

Why does Darcy Parish not have the heat on him? Jacob Hopper? Both unsigned beyond this year, yet very little to speak of.
Is it because Brisbane is the disrespected basket case of the Afl? The club the Media like to pick on?
Or is it just that these guys have told their managers to only talk to their current clubs because that is where they would like to stay?
There must be some truth to being shopped around, the more people that become involved the more likely it is to be leaked to the media.
Sounds like the Managers doing to me. Whether that is with the players approval or not. Who knows? But you would think to some degree of knowledge.
There is probably some truth to the Brisbane angle. Players are relatively unknown up here, compared to Melbourne, particularly if they are Victorian players. Not sure it's the manager's doing though. It just takes one journo to make up a gossip piece, or a BigFooty rumour to spill into other social media to spread, and suddenly it's a thing. Being in Brisbane possibly makes some things harder to fact check or refute. If they wanted to start a story about Parish, and 30 Melbourne folk jumped on talk back radio, to contradict the story, the journo looks even more stupid than most of them do now. If Richmond has made an offer, then that is news too. Maybe no one has offered big bucks for Parish.

We have no idea how it really works.
Is it the manager shopping or are their buyers asking is the player on the market.

As said I assume the lions are asking around for players we like.
The manager might ask the Lions what your looking for $ wise and length before they even go back to the player.
I assume a lot of Managers ask or get ask and not tell the player blow by blow.
They could meet up every few weeks or once a month and get a run down.
The manager might get a list of clubs interested and go to the player.

Without actually being involved not sure who can say how it works.
Different managers will work differently as well.
Sounds like we're saying the same thing. Obviously I read your post wrong.

I feel quite sure that there has been an occasion or 2 that you have bagged Tom Bell or Ryan Bastinac before. I cant see how we can even put them in the same conversation as Schache.
Hell, even the coach has had something to say about them.
We as a club can not accept mediocrity anymore.
No one is closed off to criticism.
I am in the camp of hoping Schache will stay.
And although we may not like hearing the bad things, people still have a freedom of speech in this country.

Nope, I've never bagged Tom Bell or Ryan Bastinac. Not their ability on the field, or anything to do with them as person off the field.

I did criticise Keay's ability to (not) catch a ball and poor hands early in the preseason/season. And I did criticise Schache's on field performance after the Port Adelaide game.

I have included Tom Bell on a list of players that I do not see as having a long term future at the club. That's it.

But as TheBrownDog mentioned, you appear to have missed the point of my post.

Where did I suggest that?
You seem determined to lay blame. "They have themselves to blame".
And that it is because they dare look at other offers. "If you want to work the clubs and generate big offers then expect the scrutiny that comes with it".
Wait 'til late in the year? It would still be hanging over his head all year. Maybe they want to do the right thing by the club and give them a decision before the last day of trade, unlike the last prick.

no worries Skoob

I also think the whole you cannot say you want to go thing needs to change
We have players leaving clubs every year and a lot would know that months before the end of the year.
Then you have club shopping players for trades and the players do not know until trade day.

be a lot easier if it was honest.

Not necessarily. To use the real estate analogy again, if I engage an agent, I don't tell him how to market my property, just get me a good deal. He also doesn't have a lot of control on the message the media put out either. Schache would be under pressure, however it was handled. If he hasn't made a decision, he hasn't made a decision and the speculation and pressure would still exist. Are you suggesting, like Jackess, that he should rush into a choice just to appease fans and media?

Your real estate analogy doesn't stack up.
If you engage an agent to sell your house you work together to come up with a method that suits you- sure the agent will make suggestions, but if you don't want people coming through the house all week then you organise viewing times. If an auction is to stressful for you then advertise your asking price.

In short are you Schaches manager? You are flogging a dead horse trying to suggest he has done a good job.

Your real estate analogy doesn't stack up.
If you engage an agent to sell your house you work together to come up with a method that suits you- sure the agent will make suggestions, but if you don't want people coming through the house all week then you organise viewing times. If an auction is to stressful for you then advertise your asking price.

In short are you Schaches manager? You are flogging a dead horse trying to suggest he has done a good job.

1. Not many sit down with a real estate agent to discuss marketing strategy. If he has someone to show the house to, he calls. Simple.
  2. I'm not suggesting he has done a good job, just that maybe he hasn't done a terrible job as others suggest. The criticism seems over blown and out of proportion. People have actually attacked him for exploring the market and then attacked Schache for giving him detailed instructions, and that just talking to a couple of clubs is "shopping around" like "shopping around" is the worst thing.

The managers job would be to maximise his players value, in the way the Schache situation has been handled I would say he has done the exact opposite of what is beneficial to him and his client.

1. Not many sit down with a real estate agent to discuss marketing strategy. If he has someone to show the house to, he calls. Simple.
  2. I'm not suggesting he has done a good job, just that maybe he hasn't done a terrible job as others suggest. The criticism seems over blown and out of proportion. People have actually attacked him for exploring the market and then attacked Schache for giving him detailed instructions, and that just talking to a couple of clubs is "shopping around" like "shopping around" is the worst thing.
Maybe, but you are replying to me and to my knowledge I haven't been attacking either, just pointing out that if you go down this route then don't be surprised by the fallout.
Either way let's move on as this convo is getting no where.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not relevant to just Schache, but wasn't Luke Power consistently home sick up in Brisbane?

Anyone know what kept on making him decide to sign on for a few more years?

I seem to recall Leppa saying he was homesick also. I suppose every player drafted out of state would consistently have that go home bug... there really isn't a magic bullet is there...

Money, facilities, friends/family and success?

What can we offer? Money? Seems our club isn't overly attractive and captivating to those introverted types (e.g. Aish and Schache). I suppose we just have to accept it for the time being at least.

If you think the manager's job is to sit in his office waiting for instructions from players, then you are living in a naive dream world. He has probably made some poor choices of what he has said to a few people/journos, but that doesn't make him some scumbag pimp.
Maybe the position description for scumbag pimp and player manager is one and the same. Both have "clients" to shop around for best deal.

Maybe the position description for scumbag pimp and player manager is one and the same. Both have "clients" to shop around for best deal.
Seen on Punt Rd?
pimps.jpg

What is in his best interest? I would think giving him the best informed idea of the options available, as well as building his profile. Whilst he should consider emotional well being, he isn't his welfare officer or family. If you engage a real estate agent to sell your property, they are responsible for finding the best deal for you. If you feel a little uneasy about whether to sell, or are a bit unsure about whether the curtains should be included, it isn't the agents job so say "Hey, why don't you just put it off a bit until you're sure, and although it'll knock a couple of grand off the price, why don't you keep the curtains".
Best deal for the player, which benefits both. It's a business. If they wanted to feel all fluffy about caring for their clients' well being, they should try Veterinary.

This makes me think of an old quote from Frasier. His agent, Bebe has once again been up to unscrupulous again and when he calls her out on it she says, "I had to decide a long time ago between being a good person and a good agent because you can't be both."

I don't think I've seen one success story in Australian sports management that contradicts that supposition.

The bolded is not really true, I work in the Real Estate industry and all good agents discuss their marketing strategy in great detail with the vendor.

Maybe not the right thread, but with Schache likely be to be in the 2's for a bit.
Just wondering if it would be worth putting McStay back in the forward line more permanently to see what he has got. He has been taking some very impressive marks down back lately and if he can tranfer that form into the forward line he might be very dangerous.
If Fagan wants to persist with 3 talls, maybe trial McStay, Hippy and Close. All different types and may work well together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back