Games That Get the Juices Flowing

Remove this Banner Ad

Richmond dont really have any rivalries that interest the average AFL fan, other than Carlton vs Richmond. Hasnt been a great contest of late, but there always seems to be some feeling there, even when both teams suck. Plus the 69, 72, 73 & 82 GF's are relatively recent.

Other than that, all other rivalries with Richmond are a fantasy. Other than vs Hawthorn, most Essendon rivalries have always seemed farcical to me. The Collingwood one is largely based around both lining up on ANZAC Day. The Richmond one is non-existent. And the Carlton one is largely due to competing legacies, such as premiership trophies. However, the H&A clashes with Carlton are generally good, so i'll give them that.

Essendon's clashes with West Coast, North, Sydney and Brisbane over the last decade or two have more merit than, say, Richmond.

Ultimately, love or hate Carlton, they seem to be the common denominator in the Big 4 clashes that matter. The other clashes are irrelevant unless both teams are firing on all cylinders.

Agree with this view, however, having watched the game for 30+ years, I tend to hold onto nostalgia of big crowds at the G against a traditional rival. The fact that a marquee game has been created augers well for retaining an otherwise dying rivalry with 2 big Melbourne supported clubs. If it were for the last decade only, this game would be lower in the list but it still somehow elicits a big sense of anticipation leading up to the game. In hinsight, I could probably squeeze the WC v Essendon in somewhere as it usually has a bit of spice to it.

Richmond dont really have any rivalries that interest the average AFL fan, other than Carlton vs Richmond. Hasnt been a great contest of late, but there always seems to be some feeling there, even when both teams suck. Plus the 69, 72, 73 & 82 GF's are relatively recent.

Other than that, all other rivalries with Richmond are a fantasy. Other than vs Hawthorn, most Essendon rivalries have always seemed farcical to me. The Collingwood one is largely based around both lining up on ANZAC Day. The Richmond one is non-existent. And the Carlton one is largely due to competing legacies, such as premiership trophies. However, the H&A clashes with Carlton are generally good, so i'll give them that.

Essendon's clashes with West Coast, North, Sydney and Brisbane over the last decade or two have more merit than, say, Richmond.

Ultimately, love or hate Carlton, they seem to be the common denominator in the Big 4 clashes that matter. The other clashes are irrelevant unless both teams are firing on all cylinders.

This is a bewildering observation.

Well West Coast and Essendon havent been up at the same time for a while, so it may be dying (especially since Sheeds left).

However, even still today, both sides tend to ruin it for one another. Essendon knocked West Coast out of finals a couple times, including the unfair away final in 1996. The windy hill massacre. The jacket wave. Sheeds vs Mitchell White. LeCras bag of 12. The Hird blinder in 2004. Hirds last game where Lucas kicked a bag in the last quarter, making us play Port away. The other 2007 clash when we led by a couple goals at half-time, and lost. West Coast annihilating Essendon in early 1999, when the bombers were good. Essendon coming off an 8-game losing streak to beat us in 2008.

Despite no GF match up's, it's like a history of trolling one another. Lots of painful results over the years, to the point where I never feel confident when against Essendon.

Well West Coast and Essendon havent been up at the same time for a while, so it may be dying (especially since Sheeds left).

However, even still today, both sides tend to ruin it for one another. Essendon knocked West Coast out of finals a couple times, including the unfair away final in 1996. The windy hill massacre. The jacket wave. Sheeds vs Mitchell White. LeCras bag of 12. The Hird blinder in 2004. Hirds last game where Lucas kicked a bag in the last quarter, making us play Port away. The other 2007 clash when we led by a couple goals at half-time, and lost. West Coast annihilating Essendon in early 1999, when the bombers were good. Essendon coming off an 8-game losing streak to beat us in 2008.

Despite no GF match up's, it's like a history of trolling one another. Lots of painful results over the years, to the point where I never feel confident when against Essendon.

The rivalry has been diminished significantly imo by our insipid form on the road. I can't remember too many good performances over there aside from the Lucas extravaganza. I can't get that fired up about a game where we are not likely to even show up.

Excluding bias for my own team, 2 match ups that I've enjoyed over the last 4 or 5 years are:

Geelong v Hawthorn. Geelong just don't want to lose to these guys again. Makes for a great contest.

Fremantle v Geelong (Subi games only). One of the few games that Fremantle actually rise to their potential and put on a good show.

As for Anzac Day between Pies/Bummers. I'm not really one who cares much about them. Sometimes there are good games, but it's pretty overrated. Almost as much as the Richmond/Carlton season opener.

And any game where it's two really good teams clashing (like Cats/Pies early last year, Cats/Saints in 09, Hawks/Pies in the prelim last year), I look forward to them, obviously.

re the thread title -....that's what she said?

Call me crazy but the game of most interest to me is Melbourne v Dogs. Expecting a tight, desperate fight from both teams. :)

I'm obviously in the minority here, but I've never been a big fan of the ANZAC DAY match as:

a) Its wrong that the day is monopolised year after year by two teams - even ones as big as Collingwood and Essendon.
b) Playing football and going to war have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in common with each other and are in NO WAY alike - some of the over-excited AFL advertisements and PR Releases tend to forget this.
c) Since I dislike both teams equally, I always end up not caring who wins.

This year, games to get the juices flowing:

Blues v Hawks
Blues v Eagles
Blues v GWS (just kidding!:D)

For me, it's got to be the derby and the showdown as #1 and #2. They're not dependant on both teams being good to generate neutral interest. I'm the first to admit that if Geelong and Hawthorn are in the bottom four in five years time, the neutral interest in this game will be minimal. While Geelong and Hawthorn will always have history now and the benefit of living and working alongside supporters of the opposition club to fuel the rivalry, Sydney v West Coast, which was undoubtedly the best rivalry of the mid-late 00s died as soon as one of them dropped off, as there just can't be the same level of hatred among the supporters. I'd actually have Essendon v Hawthorn ahead of the 90k blockbusters, because these teams seem to have a genuine hatred for each other among the players, which is passed down the generations.

Maybe last week's result will give Collingwood v Carlton the shot in the arm it needed. It's hard to have a rivalry, when you approach the game saying "Wow, this might be the first time in five years that it's actually a contest." Since I've been watching footy, invariably it seems like either Carlton has been good and Collingwood crap or vice versa.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm obviously in the minority here, but I've never been a big fan of the ANZAC DAY match as:

a) Its wrong that the day is monopolised year after year by two teams - even ones as big as Collingwood and Essendon.
b) Playing football and going to war have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in common with each other and are in NO WAY alike - some of the over-excited AFL advertisements and PR Releases tend to forget this.
c) Since I dislike both teams equally, I always end up not caring who wins.

I agree, especially with 'c'. :D
The first 'A' in 'ANZAC' does not stand for 'Melbourne'. ;)

The Hawks v Cats games have exhilarating the past few years.
Also, I can't wait for the first GWS v Gold Coast game.

The most underrated one imo is Sydney vs North. There has been the odd dud game or two (Manuka 2005), but there has been a lot of interesting clashes between the two in the last 2 decades, plus the whole 'North Sydney' and Wayne Carey thing, and Grant traded to North. The 40pt 3/4 comeback in 2004, where a trainer died from a heart attack. The '96 GF. The Cresswell after-the-siren goal. Last year's 1pt win. 2008 elim final. The overall H2H is also 79-71, Swan's way.
Watch this space. However I get more of a feeling of a begrudging respect.

no, i hate the bastards and that stretches back prior to the 96 grand final as well. don't like west coast or st kilda either.

anyone else think gws v gcs might be a bit of a smokey? 2 new teams, obviously a shellacking for most other teams, but they might have a bit to prove against each other.

It might sound biased (which it is ;) ) and possible uninteresting to other supporters but they contests between Richmond & North + Essendon and North always get my heart pumping. I love it.

What would you know about big boys?

I notice that your club makes the trip into Melbourne to play a home game when it plays a 'real' big boy.

When was the last time Essendon, Collingwood or Carlton ventured to Kardinia Park to play Geelong?

I continually find it amusing when supporters of lesser clubs (no point beating around the bush) attempt to try and 'one up' the larger clubs.

Particularly clubs like Geelong, who have existed in the league just as long as the other foundation clubs and yet cannot rival their peers (and I use that term very loosely when referring to your club) in prestige, achievement, support or just about any other measurable way.

You're a filler. You exist because we cannot have a league with four or five clubs. You are opponent B, the opposition we have in between dates with real peers. You don't bring anything to the table. You don't offer any of the national benefits that say a West Coast, or Adelaide offer.

A void fill of questionable value, win lose or draw it doesn't really matter. If we lose today we'll win tomorrow, or the week after, or next year. We'll continue to generate the interest that drives the game along with a few other clubs in Melbourne - plus the strong interstate sides. All so you can have a little club to support, win a flag or three and cheer your little heart out.

And you also get to participate in online, anonymous forums, mashing your keyboard in what I can only assume you believe are clever ways, trying to gloss over the inadequacies of your own minimal club when a bloke who had no malice in his intent decides to try and start a conversation.

Wow , nice dis. If three lines can get that sort of response maybe he hit a nerve.

Games that get my juices flowing are not always the rivalry games . Its when both team are playing close to their best slugging it out in a way that doesn't diminish each other. Its a tribute to the game and both sides push each other to a higher level. Hence , the predetermined games don't always live up to the hype.

Conversely , players can get the juices flowing , doing something immense. Not always in a elite game but something happens , creating a magical.

When these events happen , quite often they go along way to instigating rivalries. I presume the 99 Ess & Carlton would be an example of it. That last tackle in the last minute ...Of course there are rivalries that can help create atmosphere that can create the opportunity for the both the game and player to elevate the game. It can work both ways.

Id say for me Gee V Haw , Gee V West Coast , Gee V Coll are the three matches that do something more than the ave Geelong game

Ess V Car , Coll V Car , Wc V Freo , Crows V Port , Syd V Wc and Syd V Gee are all good to watch.

As far as Anzac days goes . It now leaves me cold. It feels like a game for two clubs at the determinant of the rest. The two super clubs do it well no doubt but on such an important day , I really don't see why its now become a day of that big duo , its not as if they are the clubs that lost players in conflicts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back