Gary Ablett Senior - Acquired Brain Injury During Playing Career

Remove this Banner Ad

Then how can the AFL be liable?
Because, like asbestos exposure, there has been knowledge about concussion for over a century, but sporting associations around the world arguably ignored the research. See the article I posted in Post 82. This is precisely how and why the AFL will be found liable

Why is it a ‘s**t take’? His drug taking is well documented. Do you not think that may have taken a toll on him and perhaps contributed to any brain injury he has?
Recreational drug taking is rife among young men in high pressure professions. I'd bet the AFL could prove just about every single ex-player that is going for brain injury had taken drugs.

I'm not an expert, but I think the brain doctors will know the difference. Lets wait to see what they say.

Then how can the AFL be liable?
No idea about liability, not by any means a legal expert, but arguing AFL players knew what they signed up for and don't have grounds to feel disgruntled is silly considering how recently this stuff started to get taken really seriously and become the subject of academic research.

Maybe Ablett will lose but I don't think he's doing anything wrong by having a crack. Certainly would not make the top ten (or hundred) list of worst things he has done.

Recreational drug taking is rife among young men in high pressure professions. I'd bet the AFL could prove just about every single ex-player that is going for brain injury had taken drugs.

I'm not an expert, but I think the brain doctors will know the difference. Lets wait to see what they say.
Just consulting Dr. Google so not conclusive by any means but found an article which says this:
Although they usually attribute this condition to suffering continuous blows to the head, it can also be caused by drug abuse. The data on the connection between drug addiction and brain trauma is extensive, yet many people are unaware of how damaging long-term drug abuse can be to the brain’s chemical makeup. Our drug and alcohol rehab center in Philadelphia is offering a closer look at how chronic traumatic encephalopathy and drug abuse are related.
Chronic traumatic encephalopathy is a degenerative and fatal brain disease that progressively deteriorates the brain. Although it’s usually caused by repeated brain trauma, it can also be caused by long-term drug abuse.

Personally feels if it comes to arguing the cause of brain trauma the AFL will just settle out of court. Don't see the PR department signing off on publicly dragging someone suffering from a mental illness while burning money on lawyers to avoid paying them out.

Just consulting Dr. Google so not conclusive by any means but found an article which says this:

Personally feels if it comes to arguing the cause of brain trauma the AFL will just settle out of court. Don't see the PR department signing off on publicly dragging someone suffering from a mental illness while burning money on lawyers to avoid paying them out.
Think the same. Ablett had/has a drug problem, and was concussed multiple times on his career. And also suffered depression (even during his playing days) and an out of whack lifestyle. Its hard not to think his footy days did not contribute

Because, like asbestos exposure, there has been knowledge about concussion for over a century, but sporting associations around the world arguably ignored the research. See the article I posted in Post 82. This is precisely how and why the AFL will be found liable

Did the AFL make him play after being concussed ?

Surely he goes after the club doctor for clearing him.

But nowhere near as deep pockets there...

Did the AFL make him play after being concussed ?

Surely he goes after the club doctor for clearing him.

But nowhere near as deep pockets there...
Players are employed by the AFL + the team. Insurances are arranged by the AFL

Last edited:
Seems Fevola too is worried about the effects of head knocks.

And so he should be. But like Ablett, the timing and concern they are communicating to the media comes at a very interesting time.

You’d hope that health would be the priority over possible financial recompense.

I don't think the AFL is liable for the obstetrician dropping Fev on his head at birth.
Both Fevola (boxing) and Ablett (drugs) had no issue abusing their bodies and brain after their AFL career finished. Now when it looks like a bunch of players could receive money for head knocks during their career, here these two come, cap in hand. The timing of the great concern about their brain now is interesting to say the least.

Geelong should be looking after him more. He's their greatest ever player and he gave them Gary jnr as well.
He got punched in the back of the head all the time.
Give him some money Geelong, buy him a house and pay for his medical expenses.
Naming a grandstand after him doesn't cut it.
My sarcasm meter isn’t working.

Are you being serious or facetious? Do you even know what the club did for GAS after he retired?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong should be looking after him more. He's their greatest ever player and he gave them Gary jnr as well.
He got punched in the back of the head all the time.
Give him some money Geelong, buy him a house and pay for his medical expenses.
Naming a grandstand after him doesn't cut it.
I remember the joke that Ablett was when he was playing. The Geelong FC would supply him with housing, organised to pay all his bills, got him a housekeeper/ cleaner, would supply a driver to get him to training. He was next to useless in running an adult life.
But he was a brilliant footballer.
Looks like with no one looking out for him post football he has regressed into being useless again.
Geelong FC did a helluva lot for him, but good grief there comes a time you just need to sort yourself out. It’s a shame if he does indeed have a medical condition due to football, that would be a terrible thing. But his 30 years of life post footy have pretty much been a mess of his own making.

I remember the joke that Ablett was when he was playing. The Geelong FC would supply him with housing, organised to pay all his bills, got him a housekeeper/ cleaner, would supply a driver to get him to training. He was next to useless in running an adult life.
Looks like with no one looking out for him post football he has regressed into being useless again.
Geelong FC did a helluva lot for him, but good grief there comes a time you just need to sort yourself out. It’s a shame if he does indeed have a medical condition due to football, that would be a terrible thing. But his 30 years of life post footy have pretty much been a mess of his own making.
Wasn’t Ricky Nixon his manager? No surprise he hasn’t been set up for post football life in the way he should have.

He made a lot of money and attractred a lot of new supporters so they should keep looking after him, particularly when players like Jack Bowes are earnning twice as much as he did.

It's more than probable that GAS and his off field problems and issues was a significant factor why Junior had to take that massive once in a lifetime offer with the Suns.

Even The Suns managed to get Senior a job as a Car Salesman up there, but he quit after 10 days or so.

He is the main reason his Son didn't play his entire career out at the Cats, which he should have. Probably cost Geelong at least another flag (possibly 2) with that decision.

Hear me out here, but it could maybe, just maybe, be possible that Gary Ablett Senior is both a garbage human being who enjoyed indulging destructive habits, and also developed CTE as a result of repeat head knocks and poor at best, negligent at worst, medical advice from club doctors. It's a radical concept sure, but these two things can be mutually exclusive.

Hear me out here, but it could maybe, just maybe, be possible that Gary Ablett Senior is both a garbage human being who enjoyed indulging destructive habits, and also developed CTE as a result of repeat head knocks and poor at best, negligent at worst, medical advice from club doctors. It's a radical concept sure, but these two things can be mutually exclusive.
What's destructive about combining heroin, cocaine, mdma and speed from an IV drip?

? On what basis do you say that CTE and drug/alcohol acquired brain have no connection.

He still copped a lot of head whacks during his career.
Who knows how many more times he was hit in the head considering over a quarter of his entire career was never filmed.

My point exactly.

He was also known to abuse his body with copious amounts of drugs. Who knows what sort of impact this had on his current mental and physical well-being.

So many variables.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back