Past Gary Rohan (Missing: report any sightings to the Geelong physio) - traded 2018, to Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

He needs a full pre season,needs to build a tank, needs to learn when to expend all his energy on short sprints
That's not even the problem, it's entirely work rate & mental. Trying to take Wood on along the wing was just baffling, but the forward half pressure was non-existent. Johannison just walked past him in the 4th when he played on from a kick out.

Pick any scape goat you want, let's be honest.... Kennedy is the only one who always delivers when we need him. All our other big names/middle tiers etc. s**t themselves when we need them. Bud has had a great year but was as ordinary as anyone when we needed him most, is on twice the wage of anyone else.

That's not even the problem, it's entirely work rate & mental. Trying to take Wood on along the wing was just baffling, but the forward half pressure was non-existent. Johannison just walked past him in the 4th when he played on from a kick out.
that happened about five metres from where i was sitting. it was a very very good step.

on the other hand we got a goal or a point i can't remember which from him smothering boyds kick in the second.

he went to smother the ball and got stepped. it won't be the first time

Imo Xr was putrid. Ok he presents and can take the occssional mark, but he is so slow decision making. Has no idea what to do with it once he gets it unless hes having a shot. I honestly think he kills our momentum when he gets it

sadly his goal kicking is really really poor as well. he needs about ten shots to kick you five. its part of the problem with this side. th absence of a genuinely reliable goal kicker.

This is nonsense. We've said all year that Rohan was the X-factor we needed in the forward line, so why did he spend 3/4 behind the ball.. Poor tactics by Horse

this really frustrated me. sure we were under pressure in the third quarter. but the pressure was actually around the fifty metre arc because we could get it inside the arc but they controlled all of the space outside it. how many times did we have to kick a get out kick to the fat side of the ground and i reckon almost every time ended with them having a shot at goal.

playing rohan spare when doing get out kicks to papley and mcglynn was really crazy

Pick any scape goat you want, let's be honest.... Kennedy is the only one who always delivers when we need him. All our other big names/middle tiers etc. s**t themselves when we need them. Bud has had a great year but was as ordinary as anyone when we needed him most, is on twice the wage of anyone else.

Buddy did his ankle in in the first couple of mins so was barely able to move so what was he supposed to do? Grundy was exceptional and Jack also got smashed about taking courageous marks....Hard to think outside of Papley, XR, Tippet, Rohan, McGlynn who played poorly

Rohan has crazy good skills and he is a favourite of mine. He needs to see a sports pyschologist though because it's as though he becomes mesmerised and can't function in these games.

I remember watching Navratilova the first Wimbledon final she ever won. So many mistakes caused by nervous tension. Once she got the win and replicated it several times the self belief changed her so that her mental strength was no longer a weakness.

Buddy is so good with self belief because he believes that he can pot goals from 70 metres. Rohan like many believes secretly he doesn't belong there. Eg when he got his contract extension he came out and said he was so pleased the club endorsed belief in him that way. He needs to develop belief he belongs on the high stage. When it happens he will by dynamite as he can be occasionally in H& A

Rohan really is the icing on the cake when the game is being played on our terms, he has ridiculous x-factor when we have the ascendency but his barometer is the midfield. When we are on the back foot his game to pieces and I think that is a mental/confidence thing.

I actually thought that he had a pretty good year all being equal. He really is a confidence player and I have to admit I have seriously concerns what affect his performance yesterday may have on him going forward.

Rohan really is the icing on the cake when the game is being played on our terms, he has ridiculous x-factor when we have the ascendency but his barometer is the midfield. When we are on the back foot his game to pieces and I think that is a mental/confidence thing.

I actually thought that he had a pretty good year all being equal. He really is a confidence player and I have to admit I have seriously concerns what affect his performance yesterday may have on him going forward.

Part of the problem is also getting thrown behind the ball when we are on the back foot, it just doesn't suit him because he is a confidence player.
I realise he also does it at the back end of quarters, but that is different to when he's having a quiet day + we are on the back foot.

I feel like 2014 is having more effect on discussion about this game than how we actually played yesterday. I tortured myself after coming back from the G yesterday and re-watched the game in it's entirety and we played a lot better on replay than I thought at the ground.

Rohan was rubbish and only had 5 touches 1 of them was him kicking a goal and another was when he tried to take someone on on the wing - but, let's be honest he wasn't alone.

An important question to ask is whether our bottom six players were really that much worse than the Bulldogs? I would argue marginally.

With 7 mins and 15 seconds left it was one point the difference and we were right in the hunt, yet fell away really, really poorly.

I think we have discovered that Tippo cannot play through any sort of injury (this isn't news to some, I suppose). The man we saw on Grand Final day was a shadow of the All-Australian #1 ruck/forward contender we had playing for us at the start of the season.

I think we were a victim of circumstance. The umpires conspired against us, Buddy rolls his ankle (in the first two mins) the worst way you can and therefore had his mobility limited, Hanners does his medial, Aliir gets injured in Preliminary Final.

After the game I was furious and was calling for heads but I think the pain of 2014 made this loss seem worse than it was. We didn't do a whole lot wrong and while it hurts now and probably will for a while, I think we are reasonably well placed to continue to contend for a few years yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rohan was poor, but he put in a shift of tackles, presented and took some decent marks. We need more from him, but he was a forward who kicked a goal and tackled, and thats his job. Criticism of parker misses the mark too imo, again he tackled hard, kicked the important first goal, and did a lot of dirty work in tight, we probably need more from him too but I don't doubt he did what he could.
XR, Benny, Tippet, Mcveigh all have bigger cases too answer. Kiz missing set shots and contributing well whilst being a couple years passed his best was a theme of the finals for me.
The only players who walk out knowing they played as well as the needed to are Grundy Kennedy Mitchell and Rampe.

Add Naismith to that list ^^^

I was impressed with Naismith yesterday. Looking forward to seeing how he can go next year with a good pre-season under his belt, as he hasn't had too many of them.

As for Gaz - its all appears to be an issue 'between the ears' when it comes to finals. The guy is a huge x-factor when on, but that happens far too rarely when it comes to the biggest stage. In a game where we were desperate for him (or XR) to stand up and help a hobbled Buddy out, neither sadly were able to deliver. Gaz wasn't helped by being all over the place in terms of his role either.

I think Rohan as stated by multiple users was not helped at all by the coach and the role that he was asked to play.

In terms of people stating that he is not a finals player, I think that you need to look at other performances like last week to show he can be a big game player.

Yes Rohan needs to improve consistency, but in terms of him as a player, I think that this season as a whole was one of his best.

On Nexus 6P using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think Rohan as stated by multiple users was not helped at all by the coach and the role that he was asked to play.

In terms of people stating that he is not a finals player, I think that you need to look at other performances like last week to show he can be a big game player.

Yes Rohan needs to improve consistency, but in terms of him as a player, I think that this season as a whole was one of his best.

On Nexus 6P using BigFooty.com mobile app

Correct! Rohan should have been the guy up front giving us someone to kick to, not lost down at half back. It's Horse's go-to move when we struggle down back, but I don't think it's ever worked well.

Not sure why he's been given an out because of tactics. As a forward he was absolutely poor and offered us nothing. Sure a couple of lead up marks, one he played on from and was almost done holding the ball. He was switched behind the ball to inject him into the game and help him get touches, build his confidence.

If he goes out there nervous and shaky, thats between the ears and nothing to do with tactics.

He just s**t the bed, made bad decisions, and didn't work hard enough when he had to. Being out chased by Naismith says it all really.

buddy isnt that. a genuinely reliable goal kicker hits that kick in the first quarter. plugger, hall, dunstall. he is a superstar but you will always get 4.3 from him or 3.4

buddy is a great player but we haven't worked out how to use him.

franklin kicked 7 goals for us in four finals, 4 of which came in the adelaide game. I suspect he had more score involvements than he had goals. but I do think we aren't using him right and i didnt like the way he played the last four games always seeking to take the tackler on. He showed when he put twenty metres on hamling in the last quarter that he needs more space to work in - he should be playing more like a wingman - give the ball and go and receive the ball back - no one could run with him in that scenario.

Not sure why he's been given an out because of tactics. As a forward he was absolutely poor and offered us nothing. Sure a couple of lead up marks, one he played on from and was almost done holding the ball. He was switched behind the ball to inject him into the game and help him get touches, build his confidence.

If he goes out there nervous and shaky, thats between the ears and nothing to do with tactics.

He just s**t the bed, made bad decisions, and didn't work hard enough when he had to. Being out chased by Naismith says it all really.

spot on

Rohan has been s**t in just about every final

Its like because he was pick 6 people cut him more slack, i love gazza when he is on, i know he has had a shocking run with injury, i know he is quick but he has let the club down in finals and on the big stage

he was pissweak

He only played forward for about 20 mins.

Far from his best game but the tactics were worse than the performance

He only played forward for about 20 mins.

Far from his best game but the tactics were worse than the performance
Why does being in the backline give him any excuse for not getting involved, when Grundy and Rampe were among our best and we were constantly barraged with inside 50s so there was no shortage of ball in there?

Why does being in the backline give him any excuse for not getting involved, when Grundy and Rampe were among our best and we were constantly barraged with inside 50s so there was no shortage of ball in there?

Because he's terrible in defence and has been every time Horse has thrown him back there this year? He'll get the odd spoil and put in a few good chases, but rarely gets much of the ball or has any impact. Same tactic Horse has used with Reid, except Reid is a better defensive mark

Remove this Banner Ad

Back