Past Gary Rohan (Missing: report any sightings to the Geelong physio) - traded 2018, to Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

I would also have said Grundy was destroyed by hawkins.
What? Grundy was one of our best players, kept Hawkins out of it for most of the night. Hawkins kicked one goal in junk time.

Swans as a group we're very, very poor. Worst performance is 20 years. But Grundy can hold his head slightly higher than others

Does anyone have his handball receive stats?

I'm trying to picture him receiving a handball and running into space and I just can't.
He did in the 2nd quarter, butchered his kick since there was no movement ahead of him, or anyone running from behind to help.

What? Grundy was one of our best players, kept Hawkins out of it for most of the night. Hawkins kicked one goal in junk time.

Swans as a group we're very, very poor. Worst performance is 20 years. But Grundy can hold his head slightly higher than others
Hawkins played a decoy role all night, pulled Grundy well out of position and prevented him from impacting contests as a 3rd man up.

While I doubt you will, I recommend you watch the game again.

Only reason that grundy can hold his head high is that hawkins played badly. He was beaten on the lead all night and was unable to mark or kick the ball effectively.

To be fair it reflected a really bad night where there was zero pressure on the ball carrier.

Hawkins played a decoy role all night, pulled Grundy well out of position and prevented him from impacting contests as a 3rd man up.

Grundys job is to nullify his opponent. The Swans play a team defence so often defenders will assist others at contests, but if Hawkins is leading Grundy away from the contest then Grundy has to go with him. Another defender then needs to fill that role, or Horse needed to tweak the matchups/tactics. Unfortunately due to our team selection we had no options down back.

While I doubt you will, I recommend you watch the game again.

Only reason that grundy can hold his head high is that hawkins played badly. He was beaten on the lead all night and was unable to mark or kick the ball effectively.

To be fair it reflected a really bad night where there was zero pressure on the ball carrier.

I've watched it twice, that was enough. Hawkins might have led well a couple of times but was largely ineffective. By no means a perfect night from Grundy, but one of the few to do well against his opponent.

If we want to discuss players who played worse than Grundy, I've got about 18-19 names here..

Grundys job is to nullify his opponent. The Swans play a team defence so often defenders will assist others at contests, but if Hawkins is leading Grundy away from the contest then Grundy has to go with him. Another defender then needs to fill that role, or Horse needed to tweak the matchups/tactics. Unfortunately due to our team selection we had no options down back.
Yep, pretty much it. I wrote in the preview that height could be a factor. I didn't expect the midfield to roll over and play dead though. Or kick it the way they did.

Yep, pretty much it. I wrote in the preview that height could be a factor. I didn't expect the midfield to roll over and play dead though. Or kick it the way they did.

Why not?

Large body of evidence over multiple years would suggest this is highly likely under this coaching regime in these type of games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawkins also dropped 3 sitters so he could have kicked 4 goals on Grundy.

Thats what I was saying - and none of them involved grundy actually being in the same frame as hawkins. And Hawkins isn't even that quick on the lead.

It was just another example of how we just weren't able to play. Stuff knows why.

Rohan's MIA effort (he was poor, although he was not alone) continues a worrying trend on the big stage. The two recent GFs he was non-existent as well.

The highlight reel in the regular season is great, but in reality we need more output.

His possession count is always low, same with H&A games. It's nothing new and we should know not to judge him by that (rightly or wrongly). He's in the team for his pressure and to hopefully kick a goal or two. He'll never be anything more than that for us imo.

The issue is that he is visibly nervous and loses the plot in finals. It's 100% mental with him because those 6 possessions turn into 6 clangers. He overthinks his attack at times and looks like he is trying to hard. Mentally broken footballer and you'd think another crappy September will just compound the issue.

Longmire probably should have thrown him in the middle after half time to mix it up.

His possession count is always low, same with H&A games. It's nothing new and we should know not to judge him by that (rightly or wrongly). He's in the team for his pressure and to hopefully kick a goal or two. He'll never be anything more than that for us imo.

The issue is that he is visibly nervous and loses the plot in finals. It's 100% mental with him because those 6 possessions turn into 6 clangers. He overthinks his attack at times and looks like he is trying to hard. Mentally broken footballer and you'd think another crappy September will just compound the issue.

Longmire probably should have thrown him in the middle after half time to mix it up.

In those moments he just needs to be given a simple job: play out of the goal square, a hard tag, follow the ball around - anything to shut off his brain.

Leave him in the forward line that's where he does his damage. Oh wait forgot horse prefers to have no one down in our forward line in big games

The guy has big talent and all of us would admit he is crazy brave, but he has 0 smarts and questionable temperament.

He is now intrinsic to a finals losing culture. I do not believe he will find a finals mojo while he stays in Sydney. For his and the Club's benefit he should be moved on.

The guy has big talent and all of us would admit he is crazy brave, but he has 0 smarts and questionable temperament.

He is now intrinsic to a finals losing culture. I do not believe he will find a finals mojo while he stays in Sydney. For his and the Club's benefit he should be moved on.

TBH Geelong would be his best fit

Close to home to ease his mind but also fills a real need for Geelong.

Yep. GFC expressed interest in him a couple of years ago.

Not a bad replacement for Stevie J if he wanted to stay in Sydney. The Midgies need high pressure tackling forwards and he could play with more freedom there than under Horse.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back