Review GBU vs Wobbles - Rd 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Get used to it fellas, gonna be a lot of it over the next few years. Just imagine trading away your future for 3 years of an elderly Bryce Gibbs.

It would be hard to actually get something more wrong then what you managed in your second sentence. Trading an excess of first round picks is not trading away your future. Trading your future is trading yourself out of a upper end of a draft to attract a player. We didn't do that. By getting Bryce Gibbs we put our draft picks back to normal for what a side would have per year. You have been given a gift to attack the club, and you ****ed it up.

It's going to be a dark few years, but that is because we've been so s**t scared to pull the plug once the red flags have pulled up.

This Adelaide Crows team has lucked out of not finishing bottom 4, through an easy draw and an ability to win against similarly insipid teams.

Wins against:
Sydney
Gold Coast
St Kilda
Fremantle
Melbourne (barely)
Gold Coast x2
St Kilda x2

Can't beat any team of repute including inconsistent sides in Essendon and Collingwood.

Only wins that carry any sort of pride are the Showdown, GWS and undermanned Richmond at home.

If this offseason doesn't bring with it a total clean-out, we're in for more years of pain.
That’s damning

It would be hard to actually get something more wrong then what you managed in your second sentence. Trading an excess of first round picks is not trading away your future. Trading your future is trading yourself out of a upper end of a draft to attract a player. We didn't do that. By getting Bryce Gibbs we put our draft picks back to normal for what a side would have per year.

Not sure this makes sense logically. Yes we made up for getting Gibbs by trading Cameron and Lever for picks in the same offseason, but we still had the option of keeping our picks.

But on the other hand, the Gibbs picks would be very unlikely to be making a difference now. We'll feel that pain in a few years. This team is a product of draft sanctions + losing all the decent talent we recruited (Lyons, Cameron, Lever, Gov).

Addendum: you look at the guys selected after the picks we traded and we absolutely have costed ourselves. Who's to say Hamish wouldn't have picked a Jack Higgins, Oscar Allen, Tim Kelly or Liam Ryan. We didn't have a pick between #12 and #40.

Last edited:
We look perpetually confused, are slow to react, have the wrong people in all the wrong places and are constantly making poor decisions within a s**tful structure.

Fitting end to our season really.
Perfect summary. One of our most attacking players is playing as a defender.

6 goals down, yeah let's switch to Talia in the pocket.

Our team was too fast and didn't have enough rucks
Otten and Jenkins back in next week. It's hard for a tall to impact on a cold, wet, windy day in Ballarat so we need some extra talls and some more experience to make up for it.

Oh and while we're at it, let's trade for Dale Thomas. His outside run and experience will fill a real gap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Move Pyke on now. Bite the bullet. The players' performance at the crunch shows they don't want him. They don't play for him or his message. There are a lot of machinations as to why, but he's ultimately responsible.

If Godden is on a two year deal then demote him but give him a role at the club somewhere, but far away from the AFL coaching box. Tell Camporeale and Hart they're finished.

Keep Mattner.

Burton sacked. Obviously.

Total rebuild required. New coach must have his own setup, coaches etc. No bullsh*t about soft caps etc. We have the coin. Use it on football instead of gimmicks.

Retire Betts, Jacobs, Otten, Douglas, Mackay. Walker needs a man conversation. He's basically done.

Put anyone bar Sloane, Doedee, Fogarty and O'Brien on the trade table. I mean anyone. Includes Crouches, Laird, Smith.

But that's not the biggest concern - we need an administration overhaul, a complete re-working of how the club functions. Fagan, Ricciuto and the Board should be under an independent external review with recommendations made available to the members.

Finally, treat us like members, not customers. If I continue to be treated like a customer I will behave like one and take my money elsewhere.

Anything short of that and I don't renew my membership.
You won’t be renewing

Not sure this makes sense logically. Yes we made up for getting Gibbs by trading Cameron and Lever for picks in the same offseason, but we still had the option of keeping our picks.

But on the other hand, the Gibbs picks would be very unlikely to be making a difference now. We'll feel that pain in a few years. This team is a product of draft sanctions + losing all the decent talent we recruited (Lyons, Cameron, Lever, Gov).

Addendum: you look at the guys selected after the picks we traded and we absolutely have costed ourselves. Who's to say Hamish wouldn't have picked a Jack Higgins, Oscar Allen, Tim Kelly or Liam Ryan. We didn't have a pick between #12 and #40.

By definition of what trading your future away means, it makes perfect sense. The definition is "you've got rid of any way to add high end youth in the short term for the now". We didn't do that in this trade so using that angle is as emotive as it is stupid.

All you've done is overthink a term. By adding Gibbs, all you've gotten rid of is an excess of first round picks, which is a bad thing, but not as bad as it is being portrayed. A better angle of attack is there were red flags that a rebuild was needed so getting rid of an excess of first round picks for the now may not have been the most punitive decision, however even then there is a level of forgiving seeing how not doing anything is also going to be seen as a really brain dead decision for the club (a repeat of Pavlich in the early 2000s in which there is room to argue it cost us a premiership).

This team right now is a product of a damn broken system in our off-field staff. Nearly all bad sides are, with who you have as players not even coming close in terms of importance (Great examples recently are Collingwood, and Richmond revivals being spurred from off-field appointments). Structures make stars after all. It's why I'm firmly supporting us getting belted, and Port going deep in finals because it puts more pressure on us to burn our off-field staff down.

Last edited:
We look perpetually confused, are slow to react, have the wrong people in all the wrong places and are constantly making poor decisions within a s**tful structure.
It was staggering, to say the least, to watch Tex mark outside 50, then kick long to the square where diminutive Murphy (smallest man on the ground) tried to take a hanger against 2 Collingwood giants.
Even worse, I thought at first it was Eddie trying again (again & again) to take MOTY.

Well what I really liked about that game was that we totally changed things up in that last quarter, I hardly recognised us!

LOL, kidding. We put jones in the center with 10 to go and that's it.

Another great game by us at an important time, LOL, more sarcasm. Our worst loss since Adel oval. Some mofo's have to go after this and I expect at least a ratio of 2:1 coaches to players going. The players might not be going great, but *, there doing better than me, I'd refuse to play to this plan.

Seedo was good.
A few players were ok. Smith good.
Fog showing signs.

So much I could complain about but I guess I better leave something for everyone else...

Well what I really liked about that game was that we totally changed things up in that last quarter, I hardly recognised us!

LOL, kidding. We put jones in the center with 10 to go and that's it.

Another great game by us at an important time, LOL, more sarcasm. Our worst loss since Adel oval. Some mofo's have to go after this and I expect at least a ratio of 2:1 coaches to players going. The players might not be going great, but ****, there doing better than me, I'd refuse to play to this plan.

Seedo was good.
A few players were ok. Smith good.
Fog showing signs.

So much I could complain about but I guess I better leave something for everyone else...
Yeah, I especially like the MacKay on Elliot play when Elliot force him to defend him deep.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back