Games & Recreation GD AFL Thread- all things footy and dim sims back when it used to be good

Remove this Banner Ad

With everything we now know about acquired brain injuries and their long term effects I think it's just as well that part of the game is consigned to the history books and if a few dinosaurs think that means the game has gone soft, so be it.
Sensational seventies and electrifying eighties would be significantly shorter if you cut out the biff.

Funniest was in one of the International Rules games around 2000, someone ran though an Irish player and the bloke looked like he thought he was gonna die or something. Clearly he had never copped a decent hit before and had the not so nice feeling of the wind being knocked out him.
I think i remember that. Brisbane lions player am fairly certain

Sensational seventies and electrifying eighties would be significantly shorter if you cut out the biff.

The not so sensational 70's & Electrifying 80's.....The 80's were much cleaner than the 70's & the 70's were for more sanitised & subdued than the 60's.

Probably owing to the greater presence & coverage of TV cameras at every game.

Beau Waters loved a good, fair bump. Problem was he was reported in 2010 for a legal hip and shoulder, and then suspended for a legal one in Jobe Watson in 2011

Best bump I ever saw live was Brent Guerra's hit on Schammer when St Kilda played Freo at Subi Oval back in 2004.

I was sitting at the top of the 3 tier stand and you could hear the hit from there, Guerra blindsided him at full pace and Schammer had to be helped off the ground by the trainers, it looked a fair bump back then but he probably would've got weeks now with the clamp down on any bumps that cause injury.

Reason Good Old Days Footy videos have violence is because the skills and especially the strategy are complete crap compared to now.

Reason Good Old Days Footy videos have violence is because the skills and especially the strategy are complete crap compared to now.

Probably true of the 60's....You only need watch footage of Ted Whitten & Carl Ditterich running round trying to kill everyone in their vicinity.

Barassi revolutionised the game through the use of handbill at all costs & the run-on game…..The skills increased immensely thereafter.

I reckon the 70's era was probably the best balanced for that reason.

The best era for me was the 90s through to the noughties, you had the increased skill level and fitness due to AFL becoming a full time professional sport but you still had the physical aspect where he you could lay a good old fashioned hip and shoulder and not be rubbed out for multiple weeks.

The best era for me was the 90s through to the noughties, you had the increased skill level and fitness due to AFL becoming a full time professional sport but you still had the physical aspect where he you could lay a good old fashioned hip and shoulder and not be rubbed out for multiple weeks.

Same

Plus high scores.
/in before yeah but a good defensive game is good too :rolleyes:

Best bump I ever saw live was Brent Guerra's hit on Schammer when St Kilda played Freo at Subi Oval back in 2004.

I was sitting at the top of the 3 tier stand and you could hear the hit from there, Guerra blindsided him at full pace and Schammer had to be helped off the ground by the trainers, it looked a fair bump back then but he probably would've got weeks now with the clamp down on any bumps that cause injury.
Guerra was beast with great timing
For a little man he must of been made of granite,if he got you you were got

Birchall did it a few times in the more modern era

Birchall never struck me as a hard player ....quite the opposite in fact.

I had him pegged as one of the soft Cawks in our side, post the 2012 Granny, alongside the likes of Ellis & Young.....He certainly lifted his game thereafter, unlike those other 2.

Now Guerra was tough, solid & hard as nails.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Birchall never struck me as a hard player ....quite the opposite in fact.

I had him pegged as one of the soft Cawks in our side, post the 2012 Granny, alongside the likes of Ellis & Young.....He certainly lifted his game thereafter, unlike those other 2.

Now Guerra was tough, solid & hard as nails.
Birch was fair but just went through a stage a few years back when he was getting one when the opportunity arose

Cats vs Dogs 2009 Johnson miss after the siren
Dons vs Dogs 2000

good games. Cats vs Hawks 2010 easter monday clash a goody too.

You still can. The bump above (Birchall) is a fair hit that winded Brown. In the 2018 GF Ryan bumped Maynard the same way. The difference is now that everything is broken down frame by frame and the AFL chop and change their interpretations based on the direction the wind is blowing.

Nick Maxwell broke Pat McGinnity's jaw and was suspended, then let off because they argued head to head contact did the damage. Nat Fyfe was suspended for a head clash with Michael Rischitelli. Ryan Burton KO'd Shaun Higgins and got a fine. Trent Cotchin went in at Dylan Shiel with his head over the ball and got off because it was a prelim. It's a joke. The head is sacrosanct, except when it isn't. If you elect to bump and make contact to the head you'll be suspended, except when you aren't. And the AFL continue to do nothing about players who lead with their head and neck and put themselves at risk.

If you throw elbows (Houli), punches (Gaff) or hit players high you should still face lengthy suspensions same as always. The rest is a complete lottery.

Beau Waters loved a good, fair bump. Problem was he was reported in 2010 for a legal hip and shoulder, and then suspended for a legal one in Jobe Watson in 2011
Beau Waters loved being seen as some hard man rather than being, you know, a good footballer. flog.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back