Games & Recreation GD Debating Competition: Round 1 Results and Subsequent Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think CA's initial argument is stronger but Tants' rebuttal is stronger...too close to call.

Results: Debate #5 - Summer v Winter

Judges:
Freakie, Powerade_08, Power King

1st Vote: Freakie

Winner?
Summer/Crimson

Why?

I have gone with the summer arguement, due to winter's being lazy and very short IMO. Winter did have a great rebutal but narrowly missed out due to it's orginal arguement. Cyclones made me laugh.

2nd Vote: Powerade_08

Winner?
Winter/Tants

Why?

A bit more convincing and relevant (Other guy goes on about ice ages and blizzards)

3rd Vote: Power King

Winner?
Summer/Crimson

Why?

Pro Summer: Strong initial argument with many examples relating to human, animal and plant life to illustrate why summer is a greater season than winter. In addition to this, examples relating to these forms of life against winter were also provided in both a modern and ancient context. Argument was articulated well and the tongue-in-cheek ending about football was a nice touch to finish. I also felt as though the rebuttal raised a good point in that it attempted to differentiate summer and the tropics, whilst using the ice age as an attack that could not be refuted by the same logic. The successful Qatar bid and two pics did nothing to sway me though.

Pro Winter: Did not feel as though the initial argument against summer and for winter was as strong as the opposing initial argument due to weaker examples being raised (quantity, but more importantly, quality, was lesser). Like your opponent though, you had a strong way to end the argument by comparing Big Footy to Big Lifesaving lol. Very nice. I feel as though your rebuttal addressed the opening argument’s points more than pro-summer’s rebuttal against you did, and so overall yours was the better rebuttal. Looking at your overall argument though (opener and rebuttal), I don’t believe you promoted winter as well as you attacked summer, where as your opponent argued both of his sides well (pro summer, anti winter).

Winner: Pro-summer (and in reality I think that winter is the greater season!).

The winner of debate #5 is Crimson Azure. A high quality debate which went down to the wire.

i think CA's is slightly better but can't believe he didn't mention festivals! perhaps the best thing about summer for me

EDIT - poor timing, congrats to crimson

I'm going to go to bed to watch Arrested Development and then eventually fall asleep. A 3rd debate is ready to be published tomorrow.

As I suspected, PK owns judging.

Fair result in the end, although winter is far better than summer.

As I suspected, PK owns judging.

Fair result in the end, although winter is far better than summer.

Not according to the vote.

;)

Well done though to Tants, well played.

PK, quality review for both.

ignored the obvious argument that females can enjoy sex several times during the act.

This this was a gross oversight by juddsetant. More focus on this and we could've had an upset on our hands.

3rd Vote: GrizzlyM

The pics did it for me

Happy with the result, but have to say I expected more from a mod.

siriamalittledisappoint.jpeg

Winter better than summer? Surely you jest.

The only redeeming thing about winter is footy. If the players and the AFL weren't so flippin' soft they'd play in summer, then everything would be perfect.

The argument for winter over summer, is that 40 degree days are always ****ing s**t, while 8 degree days can be awesome.

I personally prefer summer over winter - the early part of summer at least - as the weather makes me happier.

Summer pantsed Winter in that debate for mine though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haha, Leo strut on the beach was a massive win. Disappointing to see it wasn't appreciated, that picture alone would have won me over.

Tbh thought the Winter v Summer argument was a little lacklustre. The summer side of the debate should have mentioned chicks, beaches and a lack of clothing in general (preferably with pics). Nevertheless, was a solid academic argument but should have had a lighter and more humerous tone to it.

Pretty shattered but what can you do. Can i play any other role in the debating now that i am eliminated? (i.e fill in judge when said judge is absent). R dub's debate was absolutely quality, and it will forever be known that i was once favourite in the indie bet, despite falling to $81. Also, my computer doesn't allow pictures, or a picture would've been a cert for my rebuttal. Thanks for the opportunities!

Fcuk me senseless, had a bish over for like 12 hrs. Was dying for her to just leave so I could check what was going on.

Lucky to pull through that one, good effort judd :thumbsu:

Haha, Leo strut on the beach was a massive win. Disappointing to see it wasn't appreciated, that picture alone would have won me over.

Same, that was hilarious (I thought bringing lulz was a main criteria in all this?). Would've been better if he included the Keanu Reeves hobo in the winter pic.

Disappointed I didn't put my hand up to partake. Too late?

When my argument gets posted (or has it already) lulz will be had, mine is so bad it's not funny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back