Geelong and Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

And I’d give it all back to have our best player not become a mercenary dog.
s**t post is s**t.

No player is turning down 2m a year, Gaz had achieved what he wanted with us. Can't fault him for taking the cash.

s**t post is s**t.

No player is turning down 2m a year, Gaz had achieved what he wanted with us. Can't fault him for taking the cash.
I don’t fault him - I just don’t respect him.

What Selwood did for his boy this year was beautiful and that’s how I’d prefer to remember the Ablett family.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ease up mate.

Nobody plays for free and when your career is limited to a decade and a half, $1.8 million a year: nobody is saying no to that. It’s not being a mercanary. It’s being a human being.
Reminds me of Craig Lowndes

how on earth did GCS find themselves in a position to off-load a first round pick, + pick # 7, so cheaply?

A level of mismanagement so dire that it has warped equalization heading into 2023 because of the beneficiary club of their ineptitude

well played GFC, but jesus christ GC

Add to that Ablett for nothing in return from GC.
THEN let’s discuss who has had the best of the trades!

He was a free agent wasnt he? And Geelong got 2 picks as compensation?

When Buddy left we got pick 19 as compensation. And his contract was for more money than Ablett's.

The OP also left off the bull s**t compo Geelong got for Motlop which they were then able to give to Gold Coast so that Ablett could come back to Geelong.

When Buddy left we got pick 19 as compensation. And his contract was for more money than Ablett's.

The OP also left off the bull s**t compo Geelong got for Motlop which they were then able to give to Gold Coast so that Ablett could come back to Geelong.
how was the Motlop compo BS? Can't blame us because Port offered him the big bucks. He was pretty good before he went there

how was the Motlop compo BS? Can't blame us because Port offered him the big bucks. He was pretty good before he went there

He was the same as Rockliff but the Rockliff compo was a lot less. It was embarrassing that the AFL rorted their own system to manufacture the pick GCS needed to let Ablett go.

But not unexpected.

Free agency wasn't a thing when Ablett left.

They still owe us for Ablett. There will be another decade of this.
Add to that Ablett for nothing in return from GC.
THEN let’s discuss who has had the best of the trades!
Free agency wasn't a thing when Ablett left.
Nothing for Ablett?
2x 1st rd picks went to the Cats - albeit rubbish ones (15 and 26) given they were expansion drafts. But all teams dealt with that.

So it worked out better than what FA would have been at one pick.

Can someone add context as to how the 2020 trade was even ticked off?
It looks much more one sided than it was in reality.

Pick 27 ended up being pick 33 after all the compensation, etc picks. Gold Coast didn't have enough spots to use the pick and nobody else wanted to give anything better from what was expected to be a much deeper 2021 draft. Melbourne had missed the 8 so they would've expected the trade to be ~45 in a stronger draft for 33 in a weaker draft. That's reasonable when the pick that gave up was literally worthless to them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back