Geelong and Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

They got sucked into the lure of recruiting the best player in the AFL, before asking whether he was the best leader in the AFL.
Didn't really have to ask that question either. Geelong had clearly already answered it for them in 2010. But no they just rolled in and assumed paying someone squillions would fix it all. Arrogant and stupid.

Interesting history?

I suppose 4912-1 shots do get up occasionally.

But that is the odds of a particular club randomly being the beneficiary of possibly the 3 most lopsided deals(at the point of the deal being made) in recent history.

If Suns have a great deal to sell, Geelong make up 1/17th of the market place. So all being equal Geelong would be a $17.0 chance to be on the other end of the deal.

17 x 17 x 17 = 4913. Thus, 4912-1 odds.

Pretty unlikely stuff.

I think that's a really easy thing to say when it's not you being offered (at least) double the income.
I value loyalty because I had a s**t upbringing. Us types usually do

Plenty of people with a s**t upbringing learn to value all sorts of things - some loyalty, some crave the affection of others, some become fiercely independent as a means of self-protection, some inflict a similarly awful upbringing on others. There's no rulebook

Didn't really have to ask that question either. Geelong had clearly already answered it for them in 2010. But no they just rolled in and assumed paying someone squillions would fix it all. Arrogant and stupid.
It's a bit sobering when you realise that when GAJ played his last final at his peak (PF 2010), he was just one month older than Dusty when he won his first of three Norm Smiths, and a year younger than his Dad when he played in his first finals series.

Plenty of people with a s**t upbringing learn to value all sorts of things - some loyalty, some crave the affection of others, some become fiercely independent as a means of self-protection, some inflict a similarly awful upbringing on others. There's no rulebook
I’m sure it’s you but I could be wrong. Doesn’t your old boy post on bf too? You probably had a killa upbringing

I’m sure it’s you but I could be wrong. Doesn’t your old boy post on bf too? You probably had a killa upbringing
Haha, you are in fact correct. He hasn't been live on BF for a while :)

And yes, I was lucky enough to have a stable, loving family. Even if it took a while for Geelong to finally start winning flags...

Horlin-Smith? We were dudded on that transaction as well!! ;)
He’s a good bloke with leadership qualities supposedly. Jordan Murdoch from us and Rory Atkins from the Crows are still the worst players I’ve ever seen at Gold Coast I reckon.

Careful not to confuse loyality in your personal life with loralty in the workplace.

What makes the contribution of Quinton Narkle any less worthy of loyalty than Jeremy Cameron? As far as we know he trains just as hard, looks after his body just as well, tries just as hard. But we terminated his employment last week.

No one accuses the club of being disloyal. Why? Because it is a business decision ultimately. There are other factors that play SOME part, but it’s a business decision at its heart. And we are fine with that. We don’t wish it on anyone but we know it is part of the game: despite everything you’ve given of yourself, goodbye and good luck.

Holding players to a different standard is unfair.

Careful not to confuse loyality in your personal life with loralty in the workplace.

What makes the contribution of Quinton Narkle any less worthy of loyalty than Jeremy Cameron? As far as we know he trains just as hard, looks after his body just as well, tries just as hard. But we terminated his employment last week.

No one accuses the club of being disloyal. Why? Because it is a business decision ultimately. There are other factors that play SOME part, but it’s a business decision at its heart. And we are fine with that. We don’t wish it on anyone but we know it is part of the game: despite everything you’ve given of yourself, goodbye and good luck.

Holding players to a different standard is unfair.
Wait, we delisted Narkle? That sucks man. Like the bloke

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree - and same goes with guys like Nick Stevens (who we had for two years) and Zane Williams (who we had for all of six months) before they were just cut.

To be fair to Geelong, Brisbane's has also had a few favourable interactions with GC too:
2010 - Jared Brennan, pick 10 and 49 to GC for pick 5, 25 and 28

2011 - pick 35 to GC for pick 47 and QLD zone selection Dayne Zorko

2018 - Brisbane's future first (#14, pushed out to #17) for pick 19, GC future second (#19 out to #23)

2018 - delisted contracted Jarryd Lyons to Brisbane could pick him up for free

Slightly tongue in cheek because similar to the Geelong situation, if you look at the actual context of the situations, they're obviously one sided trades.

He was a free agent wasnt he? And Geelong got 2 picks as compensation?

When Buddy left we got pick 19 as compensation. And his contract was for more money than Ablett's.

The OP also left off the bull s**t compo Geelong got for Motlop which they were then able to give to Gold Coast so that Ablett could come back to Geelong.

Often here this from Hawthorn fans when playing the woe is me card in regards to the compensation they received for Buddy leaving.

I’m still waiting for someone to explain to me how a 9 year deal worth $10million is more ‘money’ than a 5 year deal worth $9million, especially when that second player has another 5 years earning capacity to come.

As per the Niall article in 2018 which is considered the closest we’ll get to a comprehensive outline of the AFL’s formula: A free agent paid $2 million over two years will be ranked higher on the compensation table than one who is paid $3.5 million over four years. The length of contract is only a ‘‘tie-breaker’’ if annual salary is equal to another player. The contract must be at least two years.

So it would be appreciated if Hawthorn fans could finally understand this.

Often here this from Hawthorn fans when playing the woe is me card in regards to the compensation they received for Buddy leaving.

I’m still waiting for someone to explain to me how a 9 year deal worth $10million is more ‘money’ than a 5 year deal worth $9million, especially when that second player has another 5 years earning capacity to come.

As per the Niall article in 2018 which is considered the closest we’ll get to a comprehensive outline of the AFL’s formula: A free agent paid $2 million over two years will be ranked higher on the compensation table than one who is paid $3.5 million over four years. The length of contract is
only a ‘‘tie-breaker’’ if annual salary is equal to another player. The contract must be at least two years.

So it would be appreciated if Hawthorn fans could finally understand this.

10 > 9
I guess

Plus a heap of the GAJ money was ambassador money outside the cap. We know how much the AFL hated Buddy going to the Swans so it was all in the cap.

It looks much more one sided than it was in reality.

Pick 27 ended up being pick 33 after all the compensation, etc picks. Gold Coast didn't have enough spots to use the pick and nobody else wanted to give anything better from what was expected to be a much deeper 2021 draft. Melbourne had missed the 8 so they would've expected the trade to be ~45 in a stronger draft for 33 in a weaker draft. That's reasonable when the pick that gave up was literally worthless to them.
The fact that Australia can't produce 33 footballers in any year that professional teams want on their list is so telling.
We can't get enough good footballers for 18 teams, now they want to bring in a 19th!!
Go back to 16 teams. GWS and Suns exist only to feed players and picks back to Victoria.

10 > 9
I guess

Plus a heap of the GAJ money was ambassador money outside the cap. We know how much the AFL hated Buddy going to the Swans so it was all in the cap.
Hawthorn certainly got a raw deal as far as compensation goes with Buddy but with hindsight you guys should be pretty stoked at how the whole thing ended up. Hawks won two more flags while the AFL went hard on Sydney out of pure spite and pettiness because they wanted Franklin to sign with GWS.

Hawthorn certainly got a raw deal as far as compensation goes with Buddy but with hindsight you guys should be pretty stoked at how the whole thing ended up. Hawks won two more flags while the AFL went hard on Sydney out of pure spite and pettiness because they wanted Franklin to sign with GWS.

For sure the process stank, but we kept all our players and brought in more with the Buddy money.

No one would do anything if it wasn’t for money. It’s a job. Yeah it’s one thing to say so and so would stay for less at Club A.

Money is still a consideration. None of them do it for a packet of chips.

Even Hawk who is the current poster boy for taking unders to stay at a club - he’d have already made a fortune and can afford to do it for less, he still won’t do it for nothing.

If you’re going to judge blokes for doing things for love of a club or a desire for money, apply the criteria evenly. Even Tim Kelly: he wouldn’t have gone back to WA if he wasn’t going to be well compensated no matter how much he wanted to go for family reasons. And I don’t begrudge him that for a second.

Yeah I hope geelong supporters remember that when piling onto Jacob Hopper . Just sayin.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back