Geelong and Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Nothing for Ablett?
2x 1st rd picks went to the Cats - albeit rubbish ones (15 and 26) given they were expansion drafts. But all teams dealt with that.

So it worked out better than what FA would have been at one pick.
Never you mind what we and GC discussed in our combined valuations for Ablett. We were restricted by the limitations of what the AFL would give us, so we traded some future first and second rounders in a gentleman's agreement. That's what good clubs do.

The salary cap relief was just a show of good will on our part. This has been planned since 2010.

It looks much more one sided than it was in reality.

Pick 27 ended up being pick 33 after all the compensation, etc picks. Gold Coast didn't have enough spots to use the pick and nobody else wanted to give anything better from what was expected to be a much deeper 2021 draft. Melbourne had missed the 8 so they would've expected the trade to be ~45 in a stronger draft for 33 in a weaker draft. That's reasonable when the pick that gave up was literally worthless to them.
yep. and a 3rd to a future 5th isn't so bad. Most of us were waiting for the cats to drop off a cliff and the 2020 draft crop had their year wiped by covid.
Most of that group are only just starting to make their mark on the comp.

2019 & Bowes deal are the eye-raisers.
Bowes had suitors and had it down to 3. So not like he wasn't going to get to carry on his career and get midfield time.
AFL should have made it clear 7 can only be included if the 800k a year for the next 2 was taken on (anything additional is between Bowes and Geelong).

I think it sticks a little more in the side of a few fans given GCS were given a gold mine of picks and pissed them up the wall
19 went to Freo with Brodie
11 (protected) to the Cats for 27
7 to boot out a player who didn't want to leave, they just don't want to pay him.

Context for trades:

2019 - In draft trade. Geelong were going to take Jeremy Sharp but Gold Coast really wanted him. Gave up what became pick 15 in the 2020 draft for him.

2020 - GC didn't have list space to use pick 27 (eventually 33) in the covid weakened draft. Geelong offered the most in what was expected to be the much stronger 2021 draft.

2022 - Geelong cleared Bowes' massive back ended contract off Gold Coast's books.

Mercenarys are also human beings. They do tasks for money. Isnt that what ablett did?

Mercenaries are people who by definition are guns for hire and don’t perform their role for anything other than a pay cheque.

Someone who invested himself as much as he did, who gave as much as he did and actually IMPROVED when realistically he could have coasted at 80 per cent and still been the best in the competition is not a mercenary.

He’s a normal person who would have weighed up a whole bunch of factors and ultimately the swaying aspect of the move would have been to do all the things he wanted to do and get well paid for it.

I will never ever begrudge any player for taking on a challenge like that if money is involved as long as they are putting their heart into it and there was absolutely no doubt that he did

Mercenaries are people who by definition are guns for hire and don’t perform their role for anything other than a pay cheque.

Someone who invested himself as much as he did, who gave as much as he did and actually IMPROVED when realistically he could have coasted at 80 per cent and still been the best in the competition is not a mercenary.

He’s a normal person who would have weighed up a whole bunch of factors and ultimately the swaying aspect of the move would have been to do all the things he wanted to do and get well paid for it.

I will never ever begrudge any player for taking on a challenge like that if money is involved as long as they are putting their heart into it and there was absolutely no doubt that he did
Ablett never would’ve took on such a challenge if not for the money. Mercenary.

He along with McKenna did irreparable damage to Gold Coast. I think a bloke like Pendlebury or Selwood would’ve led them to finals in 2014 or even this season.

Ablett never would’ve took on such a challenge if not for the money. Mercenary.

He along with McKenna did irreparable damage to Gold Coast. I think a bloke like Pendlebury or Selwood would’ve led them to finals in 2014 or even this season.

No one would do anything if it wasn’t for money. It’s a job. Yeah it’s one thing to say so and so would stay for less at Club A.

Money is still a consideration. None of them do it for a packet of chips.

Even Hawk who is the current poster boy for taking unders to stay at a club - he’d have already made a fortune and can afford to do it for less, he still won’t do it for nothing.

If you’re going to judge blokes for doing things for love of a club or a desire for money, apply the criteria evenly. Even Tim Kelly: he wouldn’t have gone back to WA if he wasn’t going to be well compensated no matter how much he wanted to go for family reasons. And I don’t begrudge him that for a second.

No one would do anything if it wasn’t for money. It’s a job. Yeah it’s one thing to say so and so would stay for less at Club A.

Money is still a consideration. None of them do it for a packet of chips.

Even Hawk who is the current poster boy for taking unders to stay at a club - he’d have already made a fortune and can afford to do it for less, he still won’t do it for nothing.

If you’re going to judge blokes for doing things for love of a club or a desire for money, apply the criteria evenly. Even Tim Kelly: he wouldn’t have gone back to WA if he wasn’t going to be well compensated no matter how much he wanted to go for family reasons. And I don’t begrudge him that for a second.
With what I know now over the past 3 years, I am thankful that Tim Kelly is gone. I have no issue with people like him leaving to states with two clubs but when they rule out one club after calling homesickness then I can’t help but not believe them.

Jordan Clark, Izak Rankine, JHF types. Tim Kelly at least has three children and two are Autistic. Bit different.

I say is reparations for poaching Ablett and on that basis a few more Top 10 picks are needed to even the ledger. This is a step in the right direction though, I look forward to similar trade dealings with the GC in future.

With what I know now over the past 3 years, I am thankful that Tim Kelly is gone. I have no issue with people like him leaving to states with two clubs but when they rule out one club after calling homesickness then I can’t help but not believe them.

Jordan Clark, Izak Rankine, JHF types. Tim Kelly at least has three children and two are Autistic. Bit different.

Yeah I get that but he still wants to enjoy what he’s doing as well. Maybe there’s someone at Fremantle he has history with and being as introverted as he is, he didn’t want to make that public. Who really knows.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His family concerns were already present to arriving to Geelong. Kelly either wasn't overly worried about his children's health issues and put his own ambitions ahead of the family in order to pursue his AFL dream at Geelong or he is full of crap and exaggerating how serious their conditions were to force his way out of the club that gave him the chance at achieving his dream.

Had he not impressed all that much in his first season at Geelong and done relatively okay instead, in other words played at a level expected of a second or third tier depth player that neither WA side would have showed any interest in trading for him, he would still be at Geelong. That alone tells you how genuine his claims of family hardship were.

Your description of mercenary sounds exactly like what he did. he went for the money. All the effort is about improving yourself as a player so you can extract the best lifestyleand income. Just cos he won flags at geelong doesnt make it any less a mercenary act. Mercenaries aim to win the battles they are paid to fight for. Thats their goal. A non mercenary is one who fights for the cause for less money they can earn elsewhere.

Almost all workers in standard jobs are mercenaries. most players are mercenaries. Selwood and hawkins in recent years at geelong may be an exception to the rule. Playing for less then they can get elsewhere for a shot at glory and for the good of the team. Even ablett may have done that at geelong in his final two years. im not sure if he took unders or not.

A mercenary is only a bad thing in war. Fighting for the highest bidder rather then your homeland and friends. In employment its not a bad thing.

Yeah, I agree with you. There are a number of other reasons beyond the money, too:
  • Captaincy opportunity. He was never going to be captain in front of Bartel and Selwood.
  • His relationship with Bomber had broken down
  • Being an Ablett in Geelong must have been pretty toxic
  • There was a real knock on him at the time that he only looked as great as he did because he was protected and fed by a great team, and that he coasted a bit on his talent
  • Gold Coast gave him an opportunity to create his own legacy
  • Geelong was, at the time, thought to be falling off the wave. We didn't know that Gold Coast were going to be so appalling.
He did move for money, but he's no mercenary.

and if someone offered to double your pay, of course you'd say no just on principle?
What a stupid question because everyone on this website would leave their job for double the money.

Most of us aren’t in the position of earning AFL money. I would be a one club player unless I was delisted and looking for my second chance. Even then depending on my age I would probably just choose to retire.

wtf

surely the AFL has to look into this given the importance of footy in qld

The AFL should look into themselves for not setting them up with the right people and the right leaders in the first place. The AFL and Gold Coast had an arrogant bull s**t attitude assuming they would be good and successful.

What a stupid question because everyone on this website would leave their job for double the money.

Most of us aren’t in the position of earning AFL money. I would be a one club player unless I was delisted and looking for my second chance. Even then depending on my age I would probably just choose to retire.
I think that's a really easy thing to say when it's not you being offered (at least) double the income.

The AFL should look into themselves for not setting them up with the right people and the right leaders in the first place. The AFL and Gold Coast had an arrogant bull s**t attitude assuming they would be good and successful.
They got sucked into the lure of recruiting the best player in the AFL, before asking whether he was the best leader in the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back