Geelong attempted to avoid salary cap with Tim Kelly

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 12, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Nicnat is paid outside the cap. Everyone knows this. No one is trying to hide it.
West Coast have backed Nic Naitanui to make a successful return from his second knee reconstruction, tabling a three-year contract offer to the ruck ace.

The West Australian understands Naitanui, who could make his comeback as early as next week as he plots playing a major part in the Eagles’ push to snare successive premierships for the first time, will take a pay cut if he agrees to terms.

The 29-year-old earns more than $1 million a year, but a significant chunk is for his marketing appeal and is outside of the salary cap.

The Eagles confirmed on their website that Naitanui had signed a new contract, which had been expected to be worth between $800,000 and $1 million per season.

He is expected to receive a significant amount of his salary from outside the cap, with the AFL's Additional Services Agreement allowance increasing to $1.2 million this year.

Feb 12, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
'Marketing appeal' is grounds for rorting the salary cap, but two young children with special needs living away from family isn't. If Tim were taller and had dreadlocks he might have had more success.

Remember, inclusive though. :drunk:
8966588-3x2-940x627.jpg

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Nicnat is paid outside the cap. Everyone knows this. No one is trying to hide it.

You mean the AFL ambassador payment? Its very visible the work he does, if the payment is an issue for you, have you made any effort to know what he does or simply taking a pot shot.

Note, I think Cooky was doing the right thing by Tim Kelly.

Followed this over the last 12 months, dont remember that call, its nonsense.
You don't remember the part where the club was accused of mistreating them on the basis they weren't being flown home in 1st class? One off the more ridiculous conversations. Regardless it's in the past

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Maybe I'm looking at it with Geelong tinted glasses, but that quote in the OP. Isn't Cook saying that even he didn't think the AFL should have agreed to it and he's just illustrating that no stone was left unturned in the attempt to keep Kelly?

HurleyHepsHird

Ghost Stories for the End of the World
Oct 2, 2011
Between the Lines
AFL Club
West Coast
Bloke is getting a $500k+ contract, do you really think they need more financial assistance?

I agree with OP’s general point that it would have been a joke if the AFL signed off on this.

Bill down the street is on $80k with a similar family situation, imagine hearing an AFL footballer needed extra assistance to pay the bills
Well he wasn't for the last two seasons was he dickhead.

He was on a rookie contract, having to relocate his entire family and pay for a cousin to move, live with and help look after two kids.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
You mean the AFL ambassador payment? Its very visible the work he does, if the payment is an issue for you, have you made any effort to know what he does or simply taking a pot shot.

Note, I think Cooky was doing the right thing by Tim Kelly.
It doesnt really matter what he does. It shouldnt be allowed. None of these extra payments should. Afl players should not be allowed to make money from other activities.

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
To be honest this is one area where I’d be happy for the AFL to assist. If you have immediate relatives with disabilities I think a support program would be appropriate. We speak a lot about protecting the mental health of players these days and supporting players going through stuff like this would be in line with that support. Especially for those interstate from said family.

Well he wasn't for the last two seasons was he dickhead.

He was on a rookie contract, having to relocate his entire family and pay for a cousin to move, live with and help look after two kids.

Classy.

Clearly talking about the new contract so no idea why you’ve got a bee in your bonnet. And please, as if the Cats didn’t help out at all with any of that stuff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
It doesnt really matter what he does. It shouldnt be allowed. None of these extra payments should. Afl players should not be allowed to make money from other activities.

Absolutely right, when Buddy didnt get it in Sydney it was just the AFL using it as a tool. My point was its transparent.

Numero Uno

Club Legend
Mar 28, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
and had the AFL granted it you can’t calling it cheating if the governing body approves it.

Cheating is doing something you’re forbidden from doing

lol the controlling body can instigate the cheating

changing the rules so one team has an advantage over another is pretty much the definition of cheating

Jan 31, 2009
New Highton
AFL Club
Adelaide
Wouldnt be surprised if many Geelong players recieve help outside the cap through friends of friends or family arrangement. I personally know of one player getting a deposit paid for a house paid to entice him to go to Geelong from a low team a couple of years ago.

sandeano

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Space
I've worked in disability support for 20 years and a majority of that time has been working with people with autism and their families (at this moment I'm finding it hard to type due to a shoulder injury from being attacked by an autistic chap last week so yeah, I'm frontline).

I deal with 20-dd year old single mothers with eyes hanging out their heads from lack of sleep (and on the verge of taking their own lives) due to their autistic children. I deal with those somehow trying to hold down a job and pay the rent and put food on to the table for their autistic kid. I deal with those who have lost their jobs for taking too much time off due to their autistic kids.

Tim Kelly may not have been on HUGE coin at Geelong but I am sure it was well above the living wage for most people and as such there is no way that his kids' expenses should fall outside the salary cap. It may seem cold but I've seen so many people on far less suffer due to financial stress. To grant a dispensation on these grounds would be a kick in the head to those genuinely doing it hard.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
I've worked in disability support for 20 years and a majority of that time has been working with people with autism and their families (at this moment I'm finding it hard to type due to a shoulder injury from being attacked by an autistic chap last week so yeah, I'm frontline).

I deal with 20-dd year old single mothers with eyes hanging out their heads from lack of sleep (and on the verge of taking their own lives) due to their autistic children. I deal with those somehow trying to hold down a job and pay the rent and put food on to the table for their autistic kid. I deal with those who have lost their jobs for taking too much time off due to their autistic kids.

Tim Kelly may not have been on HUGE coin at Geelong but I am sure it was well above the living wage for most people and as such there is no way that his kids' expenses should fall outside the salary cap. It may seem cold but I've seen so many people on far less suffer due to financial stress. To grant a dispensation tonhese grounds would be a kick in the head to those genuinely doing it hard.

No doubt its a tough gig, exactly whose dispensation would be a kick in the head to those genuinely doing it hard.

Fine to ask, but the AFL were correct in rejecting it.

That is what the NDIS is for.

Money for flights for family etc you can't really do because then that becomes more of a homesickness thing. Very exceptional circumstances but the lid has been kept s**t on the can of worms.

It is interesting though when you compare it to "ambassadorial" payments.

Listening to Cook this morning, I'm not sure if they actually wanted to pay TK extra for this, or if Cook was asking the AFL to point up a bit of cash to help the family, sorta like an AFL fraternity NDIS if you will.

That in itself is not outrageous. The AFL does aim to be inclusive and the players union drives a hard bargain for player outcomes. Including a type of insurance clause for players having difficulty (family health, personal health, special super scheme) is not ridiculous.
The NDIS that Morrison gutted to pay for his guaranteed back in black surplus?

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Seriously mate?? He was on minimum wage plus match payments up until yesterday!! read the whole thing properly
Thread is stupid, Geelong did nothing wrong by asking, but I would point out that his ‘minimum wage’ is $200,000 a year. A bit more than the minimum wage of $40,000.

Bloke is getting a $500k+ contract, do you really think they need more financial assistance?

I agree with OP’s general point that it would have been a joke if the AFL signed off on this.

Bill down the street is on $80k with a similar family situation, imagine hearing an AFL footballer needed extra assistance to pay the bills
I read it as they were asking for assistance for the past two years when Kelly was on $80-120k not the coming 5

Thread is stupid, Geelong did nothing wrong by asking, but I would point out that his ‘minimum wage’ is $200,000 a year. A bit more than the minimum wage of $40,000.
He was on 80k as a first year player and 120k as a second

Remove this Banner Ad

Back