AFLW Geelong Cats 2019 AFLW Team Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In regards to the number of AFLW players we had playing yesterday, in the VFL record they listed the number of AFLW listed players each VFLW team has on their list:

Melbourne Uni 17
Diamond Creek 16
Darebin 15
Eastern Devils 14
St.Kilda Sharks 14
VU Western Spurs 12
Cranbourne 8
Geelong 7
Seaford 6
Box Hill 1

Seems we have one of the least experienced teams in the competition in that regard, but the majority of the side would have played together with the North Geelong Magpies last year, so they would already have a certain level of cohesiveness already.

In regards to the number of AFLW players we had playing yesterday, in the VFL record they listed the number of AFLW listed players each VFLW team has on their list:

Melbourne Uni 17
Diamond Creek 16
Darebin 15
Eastern Devils 14
St.Kilda Sharks 14
VU Western Spurs 12
Cranbourne 8
Geelong 7
Seaford 6
Box Hill 1

Seems we have one of the least experienced teams in the competition in that regard, but the majority of the side would have played together with the North Geelong Magpies last year, so they would already have a certain level of cohesiveness already.

interesting, thanks -
so to your knowledge Winty, would those 7 players be returning to their AFLW clubs if Geelong were to be granted a license to enter the comp? sounds that way to me .. as I said in another post, 5 of those 7 would have been among our best players yesterday - although we certainly had some talent beyond that 5.

interesting, thanks -
so to your knowledge Winty, would those 7 players be returning to their AFLW clubs if Geelong were to be granted a license to enter the comp? sounds that way to me .. as I said in another post, 5 of those 7 would have been among our best players yesterday - although we certainly had some talent beyond that 5.

To be honest, I'm not sure what will happen. I certainly hope that the likes of Mithen and Ivey would stay with Geelong since I think they're both local girls. Would be interesting to see if any of the girls who played for the Falcons girls team get picked up too.

To be honest, I'm not sure what will happen. I certainly hope that the likes of Mithen and Ivey would stay with Geelong since I think they're both local girls. Would be interesting to see if any of the girls who played for the Falcons girls team get picked up too.

it's obviously all hypothetical as we don't know whether or not we'll be promoted to the AFLW next year, but I'd assume we'd get a reasonable crack at the draft if we were ...

after seeing the figures you posted, it would seem that a lot of the AFLW girls extend their seasons by playing with the VFLW - given that, I'm not confident we'd get to retain Ivey and Mithen, unfortunately. Hope I'm wrong, Ivey killed it yesterday and has a certain marketability ..

it's obviously all hypothetical as we don't know whether or not we'll be promoted to the AFLW next year, but I'd assume we'd get a reasonable crack at the draft if we were ...

after seeing the figures you posted, it would seem that a lot of the AFLW girls extend their seasons by playing with the VFLW - given that, I'm not confident we'd get to retain Ivey and Mithen, unfortunately. Hope I'm wrong, Ivey killed it yesterday and has a certain marketability ..

I guess there's a lot of unknowns at this stage. Would be interesting too if we do get included in the AFLW whether or not we'll continue to have a team in the VFLW as well. After all, the AFLW season runs over Feb-Mar, while the VFLW season runs from May-Sep, so it could be possible to have both.

I guess there's a lot of unknowns at this stage. Would be interesting too if we do get included in the AFLW whether or not we'll continue to have a team in the VFLW as well. After all, the AFLW season runs over Feb-Mar, while the VFLW season runs from May-Sep, so it could be possible to have both.

one things for sure, we wanna keep hold of Anna Teague, unaffiliated with an AFLW club at this stage and the kind of player you could build a defense around.

one things for sure, we wanna keep hold of Anna Teague, unaffiliated with an AFLW club at this stage and the kind of player you could build a defense around.

Liked the look of Brooke Surgeon too. She played well down back as well - took a few good intercepting marks.

Will be interesting if and when they decide to play Erin Hoare. She's a 193cm ex-netballer with a good leap. Don't know what her footy skills are like though, but you could probably plonk her at full forward and she could be like Paul Salmon early on in his career.

Liked the look of Brooke Surgeon too. She played well down back as well - took a few good intercepting marks.

Will be interesting if and when they decide to play Erin Hoare. She's a 193cm ex-netballer with a good leap. Don't know what her footy skills are like though, but you could probably plonk her at full forward and she could be like Paul Salmon early on in his career.

the whole backline worked really well; Surgeon was good as you said, also liked Woollett.
fingers crossed with Hoare, would have a good group of fit talls if she can make the transition ..

Think we need to sit the seniors (at least a few certain players) down to watch highlights from the VFLW and show them what hard at the ball is all about. Plus, how can you not be impressed watching them go about it:

Think we need to sit the seniors (at least a few certain players) down to watch highlights from the VFLW and show them what hard at the ball is all about. Plus, how can you not be impressed watching them go about it:

I was sitting 12 rows back from the hit at the start of that clip and could hear the clash of heads from where I was sitting. Awesome effort from both girls to get up and continue playing. :thumbsu:

I hope we abandon the chase for a womens team now. I dont say this lightly but i think we should have followed Hawthorn and ignored the entire league. The AFL didnt set this thing up right to begin with and any expansion teams will be at a significant disadvantage in regards to talent now. All while the club spends a lot of money to develop what talent we can get our hands on, money that could be better spent elsewhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope we abandon the chase for a womens team now. I dont say this lightly but i think we should have followed Hawthorn and ignored the entire league. The AFL didnt set this thing up right to begin with and any expansion teams will be at a significant disadvantage in regards to talent now. All while the club spends a lot of money to develop what talent we can get our hands on, money that could be better spent elsewhere.

why would we abandon it both the Club and Geelong community would get behind it 100%

What would you spend the extra development cash on? And don't say development of the AFL team.
there is still plenty of cash around

What would you spend the extra development cash on?

Im sure there would be plenty of other community development opportunities the club could explore for the same or perhaps even less money.

there is still plenty of cash around

Not really, the club has just had to ask the supporters for extra cash to help the club get out of debt dont forget.

Im not against the idea of womens football, i just think the AFL have set it up in the worst possible way imaginable with little thought to the medium and log term viability of the league. And at this point, given how far behind we would be compared to the foundation clubs, getting a team that would in all likelihood flounder at the bottom of the ladder for years doesn't seem like a good investment to me. Which is exactly why Hawthorn arent even considering it.

It was weird, I watched the first AFLW game and enjoyed it but the novelty wore off.
Watching the replay and then this clip is just far more engaging, it really does feel different when there's someone playing footy in the hoops. We have another team to follow which is great.

Coached by my former teacher too.

Would be criminal if we're not included in the next expansion.

Absolutely. A foundation club that is not represented in AFLW.

Someone I work with has a daughter who played with the Falcons girl team and we were having a conversation yesterday about how excited her daughter and her Falcon teammates were now that there is a chance to play for a local team in the national competition in a couple of years. Why would you dangle that carrot, spend so much time and effort in getting a VFLW team up and running, only to do a complete 180 and say "Nah, stuff it."?

AFL to expand the AFLW in 2019, teams to be chosen mid year

PR 101 - spin a negative into a positive.

Actual story is: "Geelong and other clubs denied AFLW team for 2018".

Kudos to the spin doctors.

I find it astonishing that the clubs that bid on the original comp have to make another bid and those teams that didn't worry about the comp now have a chance to jump in on the coat tails of everyone else.

The expansion sides should come from those clubs that supported the original clubs and those that didn't show faith in the comp should wait till those that did have established sides, but when do the AFL ever do anything that is fair?

I find it astonishing that the clubs that bid on the original comp have to make another bid and those teams that didn't worry about the comp now have a chance to jump in on the coat tails of everyone else.

The expansion sides should come from those clubs that supported the original clubs and those that didn't show faith in the comp should wait till those that did have established sides, but when do the AFL ever do anything that is fair?

Also wonder if the submission the club sent in recently counts or not. If not, they will have had to provide 3 different bids just to have a chance of playing in 2019. Bizarre.

Says to me the AFL want Richmond or Essendon in there. Have no issue with the 12 months (Although I think Geelong with what they have put out are ready now) but to open the door to other clubs tells me that they want another big 4 team which is wrong in so many ways.

Says to me the AFL want Richmond or Essendon in there. Have no issue with the 12 months (Although I think Geelong with what they have put out are ready now) but to open the door to other clubs tells me that they want another big 4 team which is wrong in so many ways.
That's my take as well.

Geelong should've been in there before Collingwood IMO. I get all the "Collingwood is part of the big 4" crap, but the Magpies also put together a side in the national netball league at about the same time. How many more pies do they want to put their fingers in, pardon the pun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back