Review Geelong d Richmond by 67 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Lol at everyone in here having a wank fest at beating a time missing almost half its regular starting line up.

We have 8 players with less than 10 games playing.

Injuries we just have to suck it up and accept it but if we beat Geelong missing
Danger, ablett, Hawkins, selwood, Duncan, kelly.. I would not be reading much into it.

The players we have out are automatic inclusions in our best line up.. 8 players..

Not saying we would have won with them in as Geelong is clearly having a great season, But it is most certainly not the team that beat you the last few times..

Bag me all you want but those are the facts and is why majority of media articles reference Geelong beating an undermanned Richmond.

Bwahahahahhahahaahhaahhaha

"We have 8 players with less than 10 games playing."

You know what? Half our team is under 50 games, about half of those again are just over 10 games. Just.

Imagine coming on to another teams board after being absolutely shellacked the r the hundredth time in 40 years and saying

"Lol at everyone in here having a wank fest at beating a time missing..."

No wonder Richmond supporters get such a rap.

Yes, that was clearly shown earlier in the season.

Especially when we beat Collingwood in round 1, with four first gamers in the side, and then they smashed you by 46 points the next week when you were only missing Rance and Caddy from your best team.

Right now it's not even clear that Josh is in their best team, anyway.

And, given the way the Tigers are going, that is truly saying something.

#themomentarydynasty

Last edited:
Actually hard to imagine how we could have got more out of this game in the end.

(1) Stern test of absorbing opposition pressure on the 'G in the early stages, with defence hanging on resolutely under extreme heat.
(2) Frightening ability revealed to turn on the style (and the goals) in quick time, when and as required.
(3) Breakout moments on the big stage from our KPF/ruck revelation.
(4) Team spirit clearly running very high.
(5) Win two quarters on the night, and still cruise home by 11 goals.
(6) Speaking of 11, kicking 11 unanswered goals on the 'G in a big game.
(7) Players with limited games experience standing up yet again, underlining the evenness of the entire 22's contribution.

All in all, a brilliant way to go into the bye, with the added advantage of a low-intensity last quarter to ease into the break.

And if we bring something like that back for the fortnight following our week off, both Adelaide clubs have every reason to be concerned.

Go. You. Cats!

Last edited:
"Win inside 50’s by 5 and lose by 74 points !!"

Lots of posts like that and talk about how 'good' the first quarter was for the Tigers.

It's as if oppo supporters don't understand that you defence is built to absorb pressure and mitigate scoreboard damage.

Yes you can have a first quarter like last night's, but the defensive setup means you won't benefit too much from it.

It's no accident.

"Win inside 50’s by 5 and lose by 74 points !!"

Lots of posts like that and talk about how 'good' the first quarter was for the Tigers.

It's as if oppo supporters don't understand that you defence is built to absorb pressure and mitigate scoreboard damage.

Yes you can have a first quarter like last night's, but the defensive setup means you won't benefit too much from it.

It's no accident.

They weren't that good in the first, we just kept fumbling and giving them the ball on a platter.
Once we actually hit targets they were toast.

Injuries we just have to suck it up and accept it but if we beat Geelong missing
Danger, ablett, Hawkins, selwood, Duncan, kelly.. I would not be reading much into it.
From what I saw, your gun midfielders in Martin, Cotchin and Prestia were still out there, and they didn't do a whole lot. I don't think it's appropriate to draw equivalencies between the guys you had out and Geelong's premiere midfielders, given your best mids were still playing. You had a good run with injuries in 2017, and now, as is often the case, the reverse is happening. Good teams - dynasty teams - go through this from time to time, and how they respond to it is a marker of how good their champions really are and how well the club has developed depth in the playing group. That doesn't mean you should be expecting wins with a depleted side, but you can be sure I'd be asking questions if Geelong put in an effort as insipid as Richmond did in Qs 2 and 3 last night. They were basically non-competitive through the midfield, and that was still with Martin, Cotchin and Prestia in there.

Absolutely he has.
Miers was interviewed 6 weeks back and he said that last year he was having trouble breaking tags.

So he approached Gaz to ask him how he dealt with it.
Gaz took him through a whole bunch of footage to show him how to lose an opponent.

What a fantastic set of mentors we have for the young guys in players like Ablett, Selwood, Danger, Taylor - and coaches such as Scotty, Enright, Scarlo, Lappin and Ottens. Count the number of Premierships, Brownlows and All Australian awards.

i sometimes wish we would be more proactive on the rest/injury front. Danger has clearly come back a better player after his week off.

Selwood needs a month off I reckon. He is not playing bad footy but we are almost unbeatable if Joel is at his best in September.
Was listening to Derm chew glass about us on Crunch Time and he made an interesting point - McIntosh gave Duncan a bath in the first quarter (which I noticed) and then Selwood got moved onto him (which I did not). OTOH using Joel Selwood as a defensive forward is a sign of how limited he looks at the moment but on the other he did the job. Hopefully the bye fixes him up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shot is even better for the Tigers player in it.
My feelings on Josh Caddy, summarised:

Second best post-2011 moment: Josh Caddy kicking that goal from the boundary against Hawthorn
Third best post-2011 moment: watching Josh Caddy pick up the ball on the edge of a stoppage last night and immediately thinking 'he'll get done HTB' and then watching him get done HTB

Lol at everyone in here having a wank fest at beating a time missing almost half its regular starting line up.

We have 8 players with less than 10 games playing.

The players we have out are automatic inclusions in our best line up.. 8 players..

Not saying we would have won with them in as Geelong is clearly having a great season, But it is most certainly not the team that beat you the last few times..

Bag me all you want but those are the facts and is why majority of media articles reference Geelong beating an undermanned Richmond.
You sound like a b*tch.

We beat you on your home deck by 11 goals playing 2 quarters of footy.

Go back to your mates on the other board and have a good cry with them:'(

Tigers are the biggest whinging club there is. From Dimma and Reiwoldt down, a bunch sooks from top to bottom.

Reiwoldt has the greatest history of that, I think he models his Whinging on Richo 🤣

There are plenty of videos on line of that.

I see Captain “Tosser” the Tugger flog who posted earlier has modelled his life on that Olympic Gold medal level of whinging.

Great win.

A couple of points:

I said a few weeks back that Sav could use a spell, to find that "touch" around timing marks etc. Don't thank me. (No, I mean really don't thank me...the MC made the decision to manage him 😉)

Watching him clunk mark after mark, I was seeing why the MC want to put time into him...injury free, he'll worry more than a few defenders in a few years...

First quarter, I was "slightly" less than impressed. (@ Vdubs: don't stress too much mate...you seem a bit more grounded than some of the more "negative nellies" who frequent this forum).

GAJ...all class. 'nuff said.

Miers is going to be something. Reckon his apprenticeship was well spent last year.

Rohan and Dalhaus, great additions.

Hawkins...I actually like the ball in his hands when a set shot is in the offing. It may surprise some, but this wasn't always so...

The Tiges were seriously undermanned, but you can only play what's in front of you...and at the venue provided.

So you take the win, and move on to the next-to-last "bogey" the side needs to conquer..."the post-bye game".

I reckon that Richmond actually had a plan. It wasn’t always that Duncan was missing kicks, they were picking them off because they know he’s a designated kicker and he likes to take field position with short, sharp little kicks. They just made sure to be in his zone of kicking. Likewise Stewart made errors and was pressured quite hard.

The Cats changed this up by moving Duncan away from that role for a period and letting Danger and co start to bullock their way to win clearances.

Duncan started to handpass to a clearer player a lot more in that second quarter.

This was the perfect match for the Cats to feel the heat of a final, absorb it and then demolish them with a counter punch from Satan himself.

We needed to feel dominated on the MCG, where the opposition scrapped and completely outplayed us, plus they appeared to have worked us out and shut down our prime movers.

We needed to regroup and then turn it back onto them.

Perfect finals prep.

Duncan really is the best worst kick in the league - in the final against Melbourne this really stood out and again yesterday. Hope he improves that aspect as he is having a wonderful season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back