Review Geelong d Richmond by 67 points

Remove this Banner Ad

You don't think it's better to keep that sort of stuff to yourself?
It wasn't anything like our finals games BTW, it was more like the week before against Sydney. Absorbing the pressure and, yes, making some errors, but staying within two goals by quarter time.
I never felt at any time that game was going to get away from us.
I think it's better to not read that thread after a game. As I said, I rarely get to miss a game, so no need to go online, but sitting there at home listening and watching... need self-control, which I generally have, but my will for us to beat the Tigers exceeded my self-control levels after that inauspicious start.
Besides, I hardly set the thread alight with anything too outrageous last pm, but I can see how it could happen.
As you intimate, last pm we could not have started worse, yet we were only 2 goals down, minimal damage.

yes, but he didn't seem to know that Tom has been a very good field kick and unselfish for a long time and . his comments gave the impression there is a large gap in his knowledge from 2011 until this year or maybe last year. LOL a bit like a student using Reader Digest summaries to prepare for Lit final.

Carey worked a bit with Hawkins in a footy sense in 2011, I think Hawkins may have consulted him again since then too (I may just be making that up..) - I actually reckon Carey's paid closer attention to Hawkins' career than most.
I also agree with Carey that Tom's past couple of seasons have been up there with his very best handful, and that Hawkins and Riewoldt are the most constructive well-rounded key forwards in the comp.

We haven’t had a side this balanced since the premiership years. Every line has a nice mix of experience, talent and youth. We are playing bloody well but there are some very nice young players coming through. I’m excited for the now and the future.
Menegola definitely comes in to the side. It probably is at the expense of Guthrie but he hasn’t done a lot wrong.
Compare or current team to the last year or two - no Murdoch, no Menzel, no GHS, no (injured) Linc. No wonder we have improved so markedly!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
No way. Guthrie is a key addition to our MF this season.
Menegola was on the way out anyway. Perhaps he'd been carrying the injury that forced him out, but we're doing nicely without him. If Bews can't make his way back, ditto Menegola.

Carey worked a bit with Hawkins in a footy sense in 2011, I think Hawkins may have consulted him again since then too (I may just be making that up..) - I actually reckon Carey's paid closer attention to Hawkins' career than most.
I also agree with Carey that Tom's past couple of seasons have been up there with his very best handful, and that Hawkins and Riewoldt are the most constructive well-rounded key forwards in the comp.
you'd think he's know about Tom's back issues for a few of those years. anyway it could just be that way he expressed it. made it seem like a recent thing for Tom.

I think it was based on the conditions last night - particularly early we were very fumbly and struggling to pick the ball up cleanly. Getting a quick kick forward, even from a ground ball, was maybe seen as better than trying to pick it up & getting tackled doing so
It was a sensible and creative response to the conditions, especially when coupled with Richmond's manic tackling early in the game.
I thought it was smart. The Guthrie ones early in the 2nd qr anyway.
If he picked it up he was just gonna get tackled and turn it over anyway.
Why not hack it forward? Way of counter acting their pressure.

I thought one by Guthrie was smart and appropriate - a couple by Tuohy were reckless and were very fortuitous that they didn't hurt us. One was marked by a Tigers player but out of range.

He's battling. Having an interrupted pre season is probably the reason. Menegola will be eyeing his spot at the moment.
Make that Bews. Menegola needs a mid spot, and nothing happening at present.
Agree about Tuohy, but I have never rated his defensive skills. Very attacking sure, but not accountable.
Plus not a huge Menegola fan, and if we keep doing what we are, I don't see him improving us.

You may be right about re-positioning him, but who would he displace?

And a very average defender indeed.
I'd move Tuohy on to a wing so when he kicks it the ball's going inside 50 and I'd move Clark to HB or coming off the bench because of his genuine run and carry.

I thought one by Guthrie was smart and appropriate - a couple by Tuohy were reckless and were very fortuitous that they didn't hurt us. One was marked by a Tigers player but out of range.
Yeah. I actually thought about 3 of the Guthrie ones were good. The 2E ones not so much.
Into the centre of the ground too! Very reckless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't mind the off the ground against Richmond.

They push their numbers forward of the contest so if you pick the ball up and go for the outlet handball backwards like players are drilled to do the receiver just gets smashed by multiple Tigers.

Beat them at their own game I say, move it forward at any cost.

Yet he's in the starting 22.

Excuses have to stay in the shed once they run onto the ground.

Luckily we're playing well enough to carry him, but simply can't, mustn't, tolerate any passengers come finals.

I'd put him back to the VFL for a couple of games to try and find touch, give Bews a crack at Betts & Co in the meantime, then make a call.
18 disposals at 83% efficiency, 318 metres gained and 15 pressure acts.

Are you guys nuts?

18 disposals at 83% efficiency, 318 metres gained and 15 pressure acts.

Are you guys nuts?

Nope. He's not playing as good as we've seen in times past.

He improved his stats in the junk time after the first quarter, but under pressure he was vulnerable.

And metres gained? Meh. A meaningless, frilly bit of verbal nonsense imported from the US by the commentators in a bid to boost the appearance of their intellect.

Speaking ill of the little master is sacrilege but he threw it on the boot indiscriminately 2 or 3 times in that first quarter :straining:

He wasn't the only one. Once we cleaned up our disposal after quarter time we slaughtered them.

Should be :

BREAKING NEWS

Tigers have injuries
Remember back in 2015 remember we had a ton of injuries? The VFL team was actually struggling for players against the Bombers.
Even Luxford got a game.
I can't remember even the most one eyed of us saying "oh we only lost against the top team cause of injuries" or "we'd win the flag if it wasn't for injuries"
They're just harping on it way too much.

Remember back in 2015 remember we had a ton of injuries? The VFL team was actually struggling for players against the Bombers.
Even Luxford got a game.
I can't remember even the most one eyed of us saying "oh we only lost against the top team cause of injuries" or "we'd win the flag if it wasn't for injuries"
They're just harping on it way too much.
You watch them next year crowing about saying they will be dead cert for the flag....even fully fit their list is very ordinary they have fallen well behind

Remove this Banner Ad

Back