Autopsy Geelong leaves Sydney with 2 points - who wants to watch the replay...

Remove this Banner Ad

I watched the replay (I rarely watch on TV and never watch it at all if we lose) - that's 2 hours of my life I'll never get back.

That was completely unconvincing. Hopefully we'll beat up on the Kangas next round and get the whole 4 points. But it seems the boys are doing their best to play themselves out of the finals. Still, there's a longish way to go. Go Cats FFS!!!

The reality is our midfield is average at best - we aren't getting quality forward entries... The change from last year is stark unfortunately - we are making basic skill errors and all players are well below last years form.. Duncan can hardly walk, Danger is well off his best and our replacement mids are just not up to the standard of other teams. It sucks but we deserve to be where we are on the ladder. I hope there can be a miracle turn around however it needs to start happening soon - going into finals (if we make it) playing like we have recently will mean we get belted by any of the top 4 sides 9/10 times.
I so underrated Selwoods ball usage while i was thinking he was cooked getting 20 possies he was still delivering the ball inside 50 with poise. Now any mid getting 20 is a miracle.

Realistically, we all, and Cats knew the midfield cliff was coming. Talked ad nauseum about it for past few years. Most of us thought this year be OK while we wait for Bruhn, Clark et al to develop with both Guthrie and Danger as A graders and Blitz and Atkins as gut runners. Gutherie season done plus Selwood retired is now a bridge too far.
Trying to accept it. 2022 was worth it.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

I so underrated Selwoods ball usage while i was thinking he was cooked getting 20 possies he was still delivering the ball inside 50 with poise. Now any mid getting 20 is a miracle.

Realistically, we all, and Cats knew the midfield cliff was coming. Talked ad nauseum about it for past few years. Most of us thought this year be OK while we wait for Bruhn, Clark et al to develop with both Guthrie and Danger as A graders and Blitz and Atkins as gut runners. Gutherie season done plus Selwood retired is now a bridge too far.
Trying to accept it. 2022 was worth it.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

When you consider we've basically played most of the year without our best 3 midfielders from last season (and multiple injuries to those seated 4-6) it makes sense.
No Selwood, no Guthrie and limited Danger would have meant no 2022 Flag, does mean no 2023 flag.

Only if we finish on same points as Dees. 2 points is better than a loss, but a win and in the 8 with 1 game behind 4th would be better.
True and Melbourne are unlikely to lose more than 1 game on the way in which means Geelong have to win all remaining games which is highly unlikely. If we can make it into 5th or 6th I'd be very happy.

I really thought we'd win comfortably against Sydney. I thought we had turned a corner against Melbourne. To put in such a non-committed and insipid performance one week later was a rude awakening. I guess it's hard for the older players to get up for each game. This is a good week to rest some of them. Isaac Smith, Dangerfield (obviously not recovered from injury), Duncan, Bews, maybe even Blicavs. I'd like to see Mullin, Dempsey and Knevitt come in and give Neale a go at centre half forward. I doubt Cameron will play. If we can't beat NM at home then so be it.

I really thought we'd win comfortably against Sydney. I thought we had turned a corner against Melbourne. To put in such a non-committed and insipid performance one week later was a rude awakening. I guess it's hard for the older players to get up for each game. This is a good week to rest some of them. Isaac Smith, Dangerfield (obviously not recovered from injury), Duncan, Bews, maybe even Blicavs. I'd like to see Mullin, Dempsey and Knevitt come in and give Neale a go at centre half forward. I doubt Cameron will play. If we can't beat NM at home then so be it.
Danger doesn't need a rest. He needs to play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sav has missed weeks, and was coached against yesterday.
The guy needs a break from all the crap here, although fortunately, he won't be reading it.
A couple of games back in, he'll be in our best again.
I am not sure why the expectation is set that sav needs to be an A grade key defender or bust either.

Playing as a key defender in our team is not exactly an easy role at the moment with the quality of entries

True and Melbourne are unlikely to lose more than 1 game on the way in which means Geelong have to win all remaining games which is highly unlikely. If we can make it into 5th or 6th I'd be very happy.
Melbourne lost to GWS, lost to our middling side missing a few important pieces, lost to Essendon, lost to Freo at home, almost lost to Gold Coast and Richmond. Even Carlton gave them a game.

People need to reassess what likely and unlikely actually mean. Talk to Melbourne supporters about how good they are. If they lost that thriller to Gold Coast (umpires had a fair say) and we won on the weekend we'd be on even points. And their only injuries really have been Salem for a while and then Oliver for the past month.

Sydney v Geelong​

8 Errol Gulden (SYD)
7 Nick Blakey (SYD)
4 Gryan Miers (GEEL)
4 Braeden Campbell (SYD)
3 Zach Tuohy (GEEL)
2 Callum Mills (SYD)
1 Luke Parker (SYD)
1 Tom Atkins (GEEL)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back