Autopsy Geelong leaves Sydney with 2 points - who wants to watch the replay...

Remove this Banner Ad

The inside 50 conceded and consequently Marks inside 50 conceded were directly caused by the structural imbalance, in affect we were playing 17 on 18 when we were trying to attack from D50. Having the extra tall defender robbed us of an avenue moving the ball from D50, we kept turning over the ball one kick from D50. Without Cameron and with Duncan and Smith being weak in the air, their keys had a lot less ground to cover, historically we used Blicavs, Menegola and a fit Dangerfield to be provide those extra outlets from a long D50 kick, In theory Sav should have been available to receive these bailout kicks but he underperform we when his on the offensive side of a marking contest relative to his size and athleticism and is useless when it gets brought to ground, in the cases we he would make it, he is offensively limited, which makes his kick or the next kick in the chain easier to be intercepted. All night they found space in that half distant kick hitting up a target 40 metres out, meaning we were getting burnt on the lead after a turnover.

Ultimately to win games teams can either win it back at the contest or win it back on the intercept, good teams do both. Teams that rely on interception (especially defensive marking interception) need to move the ball better than those that win it at the contest.

With the team as selected we were always going to struggle to win it at the contest, we have a too many missing/underdone. Our intercept game was non-functional for the first half on the match, in theory Sav should supercharge our intercepting being a tall athletic key defender who plays as a +1 positionally, in practice they played around him and he killed our ball movement efficiency. He was a non factor for all but a couple of desperate moments just before he was subbed off.

Beyond blaming Sav for all of our problems, we do need more from our midfield group. I want to pull Holmes out of the inside midfield rotations, he doesn't get clean use of the ball around the stoppage. He does his best work running into space and kicking long. I want us to treat him as an Issac Smith style winger. Last year his fat side running was such a difference making, he'd go from being a plus 1 in defensive to providing an outlet for a switch in a blink of an eye. They shouldn't have selected Danger, he is clearly still hampered by injury, we would have been better without him in his current condition. With O'Connor out, they may have felt that they were light on options to pull in there. We also need to get another marking option in transition, not sure if Menegola can still be that player, if he can't then give Knevitt a shot, he was starting to build form before we dumped him to the VFL, he is also getting more inside mid time at VFL level than he was previously.

Structurally, I don't like having O.Henry, Rohan and Stengle in the same team, too many high impact low possession type forwards. I'm worried that Stengle is carrying an injury, there are times early in games were he seems gassed after a quick play and O'Henry has to get move involved in general, too much tunnel vision over his finishing, our players are generally more well rounded. One of those three has to get on their bike and play a lot higher up the ground especially in the absence of Cameron.
I've played in a lot of (F grade) defences, I'm wondering if I can retrospectively blame the poorer games on "structural imbalance". Once our players tightened up and fought for the footy in contested situations we looked okay. The defending (lack there of) on the wings and through the centre square is actually what had our defenders looking like lost lambs.

You were correct to identify a myriad of factors and nuances though. Scotty also had a poor day in the box and our attacking thrusts (which could have put Sydney on the back foot) were not clinical enough, often enough.

We did but we also had Stanley back which allowed Blitz to play as a mid/ relief ruck.
Also our midfield was fantastic with Bruhn and Holmes playing well and Atkins being Atkins.
We are missing Guthrie hugely and Paddy can’t take a trick so our midfield output is very inconsistent.
We need our mids to at least break even to grab the W- let’s hope we get continuity and build some cohesion soon.
Holmes?!

Atkins and Bruhn were decent enough but needed two friends.

My take is we were lucky to walk away with 2 points.
South Melbourne came into this game having hit form. Don't underestimate the thrashing it gave last week to WestCoast. They would have pounded most sides. They were so determined to beat us. I couldn't see all their running from a TV screen, but for the first half they had 4 players at least around the ball at all times, outnumbering us most of the time. The Swans must have been gut running all over the place. And you know what happens when the coach gets a team to do that? Points instead of goals, and missed shot 15 metres out. Jelly legs syndrome, I think. Anyway, they caught our backline out with their foot skills. And lay off Sav! You think he was minding space and the coach told him not to do that? The Swans out played us with passing into the 50 and caught out EVERY SINGLE BACKMAN on our side during the game. Thats unless Sav is on every single forward on the opposition. Tanner Bruhn shows a lot of promise. Why hasn't anyone taught him to kick?! Sorry, I meant, kick to a team mate.
100% all of this.

That time when Sav was caught between two players inside 50. That was so easy to predict who the Swans player was going to kick it to, AFTER it happened! lol

Guarding space may work when the opposition is under extreme pressure getting the ball in. The ball was moving quickly, though. I've never liked it, but I've seen it work. I think the better the opposition's midfield you are playing, the more likely it won't work.

In the past Kingy or some other TV fool would red circle the players and sure enough from midfield back there would be a wall of space guarding Cats.
And doing it well. Maybe that's the problem, everyone now wise to us.

EDIT Just seen the above, how bloody spot on.

Yeah, don’t agree. I think we are lacking grunt through the midfield and that it hurting us both ways. Our forwards aren’t getting enough volume and quality of entries and our backs are getting exposed.

Good finishers are imperative here. I can’t see a marginal benefit by removing Henry, for example, and bringing someone in who won’t kick the goals but will do “something else”.
Unless that something else is to start in the f50 and then run as an extra number straight to the midfield. Someone that can run all day, likes contested work and tackling, loves a goal, and takes a great contested mark.

Sorry I just re-watched Knevitts footage against the Dogs and I can't understand him getting dropped. Maybe not for Ollie but someone.

So we should drop dangerfield? As we looked much better the week before when he didn't play.

Yes of course, drop the Captain and only midfielder capable of blowing the game open.
I love it when the dust settles, people watch the replay and keep posting considered views and ideas.
This is not one of them.

Let's not let our defensive strategy go uncritiqued .View attachment 1727119..
Thing is it works if you're pressuring the ball carrier, and you rebound like lightening.

We're either asking the midfield to do something they can't do or something they won't do.

Just out of interest - where abouts did you sit

I havent been their for many years - so they may have wrecked it - but i went to stacks of game their - both football and cricket - about 7-8 West Indian wickets fell - and Gordon Greenidge brought up his 100 on the Sunday - brilliant viewing - Bradman Concourse - half forward flank outer side - Paddington end - a great spot to view from - and i allways thought it was a beautiful ground

Ablett snr rattled on 4-5 goals early in the last qtr to have 14 on the board - with a good 10 minutes to go - and thus Fred Fannings long standing record looked in some doubt - Ablett had the front position - and Rod Carter was standing very close behind - and Ablett just continually kept throwing his elbows back into Carters stomach and Carter kept hitting Ablett with kidney punches - then the siren rang and they smiled and shook hands - and i had a birds eye view of it- hah

Bill ORiely stand front row... Just around from big screen one sees on TV. If went again id not select those seats ..as the front row impeded viewing a bit.

1688278839540.jpeg
1688278878635.jpeg

I've played in a lot of (F grade) defences, I'm wondering if I can retrospectively blame the poorer games on "structural imbalance". Once our players tightened up and fought for the footy in contested situations we looked okay. The defending (lack there of) on the wings and through the centre square is actually what had our defenders looking like lost lambs.

You were correct to identify a myriad of factors and nuances though. Scotty also had a poor day in the box and our attacking thrusts (which could have put Sydney on the back foot) were not clinical enough, often enough.

I guess there is no point crying over split milk but I have to ask did your F grade team also play with 4 KPDs? If not I guess your attacking thrusts were also just not clinical enough or your mids just weren't tight enough too.

I guess there is no point crying over split milk but I have to ask did your F grade team also play with 4 KPDs? If not I guess your attacking thrusts were also just not clinical enough or your mids just weren't tight enough too.
Yeah I've played in very tall defences and mixed bags. Invariably player talent and midfield strength were the two biggest factors in how well individuals were able to defend/rebound. I like your idea though, because it means O'Connor in for Ratugolea will return us to our 2022 premiership best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's not let our defensive strategy go uncritiqued .View attachment 1727119..
The backline structure in those examples has no accountability they are wandering around like a bunch of Browns cows that has been in a paddock of magic mushrooms,and to boot the Swans have been allowed the out number some times two free players inside 50 our coaches box must have been on the mushies as well.

Yes of course, drop the Captain and only midfielder capable of blowing the game open.
I love it when the dust settles, people watch the replay and keep posting considered views and ideas.
This is not one of them.
Dangerfield was terrible and it was obvious his injury was stifling him. They shouldn't have risked playing him and they shouldn't let him make the decision to play. He couldn't bend down to pick up the ball, he couldn't hold tackles.

The backline structure in those examples has no accountability they are wandering around like a bunch of Browns cows that has been in a paddock of magic mushrooms,and to boot the Swans have been allowed the out number some times two free players inside 50 our coaches box must have been on the mushies as well.
I hear that Chaga mushroom which is a fungus that grows on Siberian birch trees is very good for you.

Scott in his presser said he didn't think we could play that badly again. For once he didn't bother defending the players.

This is not one of them.
Maybe you should go back and read seeds post in context to the previous discussions the poor bugger can get himself into enough trouble without being misrepresented.

Thing is it took the defence too long to clue onto the fact Sydney were lowering the eyes and not blasting away to put the ball i50. Yes, that has to do with a lack of pressure from the midfield, but it gets to the point where you have to realise that Sydney were just not bombing it in for us to pick off and were very smart with their i50 ball use.

Not sure how we fix our midfield issues at the moment.

Scott in his presser said he didn't think we could play that badly again. For once he didn't bother defending the players.
So he blamed the players rather then admit he stuffed up in the coaching box. We were out strategised. Many players were poor too but he did nothing in response to their chip kicking through the middle game plan for 3 qtrs. And it was an easy fix too.

This is not one of them.
I don't think Seeds wasn't suggesting Danger should be dropped. It was an argumentum ad absurdum against people reasoning that Sav should be dropped on the basis that we played better the week prior when he wasn't in the team.

So he blamed the players rather then admit he stuffed up in the coaching box. We were out strategised. Many players were poor too but he did nothing in response to their chip kicking through the middle game plan for 3 qtrs. And it was an easy fix too.
I'd have to see the post game presser again but I think he imply they being the box might have been a bit slow changing things up too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back